• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gsrcrxsi

Jan 15, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    What about receivers owned (but not assembled into a rifle).

What happens to an AK receievers that is home built but not assembled into a complete rifle? In the eyes of the law, the receiever is the gun.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    #11 i thought the training requirements were lessend by amendment, or am i thinking of an amendment that was rejected?

I do not know which training requirements you are referring to (handgun qualification license or carry permit), or which amendment. But the training requirements in the House-passed bill are accurately summarized in my original post.

gsrcrxsi

Jan 15, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Sorry to sound dense, but what 77R? I have a Tactical SKS purchased from a good friend of mine last year...is there something I'm missing? I didn't think I needed anything more then a handwritten bill of sale? NO?

+1. Similarly with my case. Homebuilt AK = no bill of sale, no 77r, no paper trail of any kind.

Turbo2Point4

Feb 19, 2012
    Sorry to sound dense, but what 77R? I have a Tactical SKS purchased from a good friend of mine last year...is there something I'm missing? I didn't think I needed anything more then a handwritten bill of sale? NO?

77r MD regulated firearm form, i thought you were talking about a regulated firearm

Turbo2Point4

Feb 19, 2012
    I do not know which training requirements you are referring to (handgun qualification license or carry permit), or which amendment. But the training requirements in the House-passed bill are accurately summarized in my original post.

the handgun qualification license, i thought it was cut down to 4 or 8 hrs

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    What about receivers owned (but not assembled into a rifle). What happens to an AK receievers that is home built but not assembled into a complete rifle? In the eyes of the law, the receiever is the gun.

We may be getting in over my head on this point, technically, but I'll take a stab at it. I think if the rifle existed as a regulated rifle prior to October 1, 2013, and was lawfully possessed, then it would be grandfathered in. If it did not exist as a lawfully possessed regulated rifle on that date, it is not grandfathered in, unless you had already ordered it or submitted paperwork for it by that date. Does that help?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    16 hrs of training for CCW is ridiculous. What the HELL is an instructor going to do to fill this time? I can see 8, 4 classroom and 4 live fire but 16 is nothing but a deterrent.

Movie marathon? If there are no criteria for what such training is supposed to encompass, I would imagine that the actual training will be done within a reasonable time frame (e.g. 6-8 hrs) and the rest of the time will be dealt with creatively (e.g. tagging on an IPDA type event).

Added afterwards: I think the equally large deterrent is expense. 16 hrs training will be nearly twice (if not twice) the cost of 8 hrs training given the time required of the instructors and at a facility.

Crandolph

Feb 26, 2013
    Would active Duty Military members stationed in Maryland but not a resident be required to register their regulated arms?

ThunderGunder

Jan 1, 2013
    does this affect SBRs? I have an AR lower (currently waiting on paper to come back) and i want to register it as a SBR in the future...will i be able to after october 1st or do i need to get the paper work filed before then?

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010

The 77R is the Maryland application to purchase or transfer a regulated firearm (either a handgun or a regulated long gun). The "SKS with detachable magazine" is a regulated rifle under the Public Safety Act. Therefore, legal transfer of a "SKS with detachable magazine" requires the submission of a 77R, background check, etc. The transfer process can be accomplished either through someone who has both a Federal Firearms License and a state dealers' license, or at a Maryland State Police barracks (call to make arrangements ahead of time). I am not familiar with the specifics of a the "Tactical SKS" and so I cannot advise you if it is regulated.

Interested point. I see that my SKS is now a regulated assult weapon since I have put a detachable 20rd magazine on it (not to mention the pistol grip) but this was done AFTER I purchased it and put a tapco stock on it. I am 922r compliant as I've replaced more then the required amount of parts with new US parts.
    Question is, since I did this while the 20 rd mag was still legal, what if anything do I need to do UNDER CURRENT LAW if anything to stay legal in the GREAT state of MD? Anyone?

300RUM

Custom Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    North East
    i'm very tired of this ********. I am not going to waste my time learning or obeying their Unconstitutional laws..Period..

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Unless there is more legal clarification from the Attorney General or MSP then any firearm your DID NOT do a MSP 77r on, that will be considered "Banned" will have to be registered before October 1st 2013.

Current MSP 77r has a voluntary registrant option on it. Without registering the weapon the burden of proof may be on the owner to prove when the weapon was acquired. This is a HUGE grey area and one I would NOT want to find myself in. I don't know if there's the same $10 fee for the 77r but one 77r with extension forms will allow all questionable firearms to be registered in one shot. I already have my forms filled out and ready to be turned in when this law takes place.

For home built guns it would probably be smart to have a Make, Model, and series. # engraved on the firearm and have it registered before October 1 2013, otherwise you can't prove when it was made and making certain rifles is prohibited after 10/1/2013.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    the handgun qualification license, i thought it was cut down to 4 or 8 hrs

One of the possible ways to fulfill the handgun qualification license training requirement is indeed "satisfactory completion (of) . . . a firearms training course approved by the Secretary that includes . . . a minimum of 4 hours of instruction . . . (including) a firearms qualification component . . .," but there are a number of exemptions and other routes to satisfying the requirement. The training requirement for the handgun qualification license must only be fulfilled once.

Thanks,
    That's what I was wondering, if you did the buildout at home then you didn't really "purchase it" that way, but can I still just go to the MSP and fill out the form 77r W/O a FFD?
    Then that way I will be good to go and if a 77r is filed then they already know about it anyway

bpSchoch

Jan 16, 2009
    Bethesda, MD
    Unless there is more legal clarification from the Attorney General or MSP then any firearm your DID NOT do a MSP 77r on, that will be considered "Banned" will have to be registered before October 1st 2013.

Current MSP 77r has a voluntary registrant option on it. Without registering the weapon the burden of proof may be on the owner to prove when the weapon was acquired. This is a HUGE grey area and one I would NOT want to find myself in. I don't know if there's the same $10 fee for the 77r but one 77r with extension forms will allow all questionable firearms to be registered in one shot. I already have my forms filled out and ready to be turned in when this law takes place.

For home built guns it would probably be smart to have a Make, Model, and series. # engraved on the firearm and have it registered before October 1 2013, otherwise you can't prove when it was made and making certain rifles is prohibited after 10/1/2013.

In law, the burden of proof is always on the one making the claim, inspire of what you may hear.

Also the 5th amendment protects you from having to provide documents/information that might incriminate you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom