• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Parallax-Free

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 12, 2017
    Balt. Co MD
    Hi everyone. I'm still new here so I'm probably asking stupid, redundant questions. But I've been looking for a while and I cannot find explicit info on what I'm looking for. So please bear with me.

I wish to build a few AR's at home, both with registered lowers and potentially starting with a polymer 80% and working my way into aluminum. Gradually gaining the tools and knowledge to be a competent amateur gunsmith.

I moved back from out of state recently and I'm still not clear on a few rules, again, probably beaten to death here. I am not asking for advice on how to break the law, I'm asking how I can adhere to the law of the land and maximize my 2A rights within those laws.

So, my questions are these:

If building an SBR at home, with a registered lower, tax paid, NFA approval etc. Do I still have to adhere to the MD HBAR regs since it's an NFA regulated firearm? It's really cramping my style as far as selection of short HBARs are concerned.

If I complete an 80% lower, may I fit any barrel that meets 16in, or does that also require HBAR advertisement/status? Even though I am not required to register it for personal use.

Can one simply engrave a barrel with HBAR? Or must it be advertised by the maker as a heavy profile or be factory stamped "HBAR"??

I appreciate your time, Thanks

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    1) No it does not need to be HBAR but OAL must be >=29"
    2) It must be HBAR
    3) Maryland State Police say advertised or marked as HBAR.( They really don't say who marks it, but make sure it really is an HBAR)

Parallax-Free

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 12, 2017
    Balt. Co MD
    Thanks yet again Panic. These laws have me looking over my shoulder just thinking about them. I have a config in mind that will get me to 29.5", excited to begin the process.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    A note on question 2, only .223/5.56 rifles must be hbar. So a .223 ar pistol with a non-hbar barrel is gtg, and so is a light barrel .300 BLK rifle.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    ...So I can build an AR style rifle, with any 16+" barrel in .300 AAC that I prefer?...

Yes

Parallax-Free

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 12, 2017
    Balt. Co MD
    I suppose .223 Wylde doesn't fall outside the HBAR requirements does it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JJM82

Sep 20, 2011
    Jarrettsville
    A note on question 2, only .223/5.56 rifles must be hbar. So a .223 ar pistol with a non-hbar barrel is gtg, and so is a light barrel .300 BLK rifle.

...So I can build an AR style rifle, with any 16+" barrel in .300 AAC that I prefer?...

Yes

Does anyone know specifically where this is written? I am under the impression that this is to be correct, and trying to prove my point to someone who says otherwise.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Does anyone know specifically where this is written? I am under the impression that this is to be correct, and trying to prove my point to someone who says otherwise.

Regulated firearms that are banned are defined in Public safety 5–101.

(r) “Regulated firearm” means:
    (1) a handgun; or
    (2) a firearm that is any of the following specific assault weapons or their copies, regardless of which company produced and manufactured that assault weapon:
    (i) American Arms Spectre da Semiautomatic carbine;
    (xv) Colt AR–15, CAR–15, and all imitations except Colt AR–15 Sporter H–BAR rifle;

A ar chambered in .300 is not a copy of a colt ar-15, and therefore not banned.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It depends on how you read the AG letter on what is a Copy.

The letter normally cited says that it must have interchangeable parts. And has been interpreted to mean that you can swap any single part between the two, and both will still function.

Now the only difference between an AR in .223 and an AR in .300 Blackout is the barrel. If you swap the barrel between the two, you will still have two functioning ARs. Now, you will have to use the correct ammunition for each.

Some people state that having to use a different ammo means that they are not functional. Others do not agree.

Up to you on what you think is legal.

If you ask MSP 4 times, you will get 5 different answers. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom