• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    The brakes on my 2009 Accord are at their minimums. Anyone have a recommendation for a front and rear brake job on that car? I have a quote from Bay Area Tires, pads and rotors, front and back, $690.

I don't know if this is a good price or not, and I would love to hear about some other options.

Any other suggestions for where I can get these done correctly for a fair price? Not saying the BAT quote is not fair, I just really do not know.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions of known good commodities.

Gskwared

Supreme Being
    Feb 4, 2013
    Carroll County
    What I did was buy a set of EBC brakes (I think the green ones) and rotors for my Honda Civic and had Meineke Eldersburg install them. The rates were reasonable and I saved money by buying the parts myself. As a bonus, the brakes lasted A LOT longer, the car stopped better and the rotors didn't warp like the factory ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I've used Bay Area in the past. They've always been decent, and have never ripped me off, but... the brake rotors and pads they put on my Civic and my truck were "bare bones minimum" hardware. The rotors rusted severely and the pads wore fast, and left horrible brake dust that would leave my wheels filthy even with regular cleaning. $600 to $700 for that kind of cheap hardware isn't worth it.

So, I went back to doing my own brakes.

My last Civic brake job cost me just $188 and that included shipping and tax, from Amazon. I used Bosch QuietCast rotors and Wagner ThermoQuiet ceramic pads. Not "top of the line premium" hardware, but FAR better than the cheap crap Bay Area put on. The rotors barely have any corrosion, after 18 months. And virtually zero brake dust.

I recommend watching a couple of YouTube videos for your vehicle, if you've never done a brake job before. You may need one or two special tools, usually just a few bucks from Amazon or Autozone. You'll still be way ahead, when it's all said and done - brake jobs have a HUGE markup on them, and doing your own can save you a HUGE amount of money.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I've used Bay Area in the past. They've always been decent, and have never ripped me off, but... the brake rotors and pads they put on my Civic and my truck were "bare bones minimum" hardware. The rotors rusted severely and the pads wore fast, and left horrible brake dust that would leave my wheels filthy even with regular cleaning. $600 to $700 for that kind of cheap hardware isn't worth it.

So, I went back to doing my own brakes.

My last Civic brake job cost me just $188 and that included shipping and tax, from Amazon. I used Bosch QuietCast rotors and Wagner ThermoQuiet ceramic pads. Not "top of the line premium" hardware, but FAR better than the cheap crap Bay Area put on. The rotors barely have any corrosion, after 18 months. And virtually zero brake dust.

I recommend watching a couple of YouTube videos for your vehicle, if you've never done a brake job before. You may need one or two special tools, usually just a few bucks from Amazon or Autozone. You'll still be way ahead, when it's all said and done - brake jobs have a HUGE markup on them, and doing your own can save you a HUGE amount of money.
    Me too. I just did them on one of my cars, and I'll do it on another. Typically, the fronts wear out before the rears, so you don't have to do the rears every time you replace the pads and rotors. You get better quality parts for under $150 for the front. Saving $550 which should take way less than 4 hours is not a bad hourly rate of return on you time.

Ian

Dontre member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Damascus-ish
    It usually takes more time, to jack up the car, and get the wheel off, than to do the brake job. Wicked simple.

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD

I can do OEM parts for very close to that price, No napa junk like most shops put on. Give me a call if you want to set it up.

410-635-0265

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    The brakes on my 2009 Accord are at their minimums. Anyone have a recommendation for a front and rear brake job on that car? I have a quote from Bay Area Tires, pads and rotors, front and back, $690.

I don't know if this is a good price or not, and I would love to hear about some other options.

Any other suggestions for where I can get these done correctly for a fair price? Not saying the BAT quote is not fair, I just really do not know.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions of known good commodities.

Bendix Ceramic front and rear pads
    Bendix front and rear rotors
    Under $200

So, basically you'd pay them $500 labor, or if they DOUBLED the true cost of the parts, still pay $300 labor, to do a job that a monkey could do in less than 2 hours...

Even if you wanted to overkill, with some very nice Powerstop drilled and slotted rotors, and Powerstop premium OE type ceramic pads, in a kit, for the whole car, are only $273 (Rock Auto), roughly $300 shipped...so $400-$500 at a retail shop would probably be considered "fair"...

Someone who does this crap for a living, and does side jobs, like myself, would/could EASILY cut that estimate you got, in HALF...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom