• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    I haven't been shooting bullseye too long, joined a league down here about three months now. Shooting Bullseye Rimfire indoors. Out of a possible score of 500 I am shooting in the 450s or so. Problem is that my shot groups are not consistent with the target. We shoot five strings of ten on ten targets.
    The groupings are fairly small on a fifty foot NRA pistol target but from one group to the next they are not consistent with each other.
    I am shooting a Ruger MKII iron sights with a Volquartsen accurizing kit installed.
    Any advice is deeply appreciated.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I am far from a competition shooter. Not even a .22 pistol shooter. Maybe subconsciously you are shooting the "group" and not the "bullseye"? Let's say a first shot does not hit the X, people tend to shoot the next rounds on that hole, and not keep trying for the X. Our brains like to see 1 ragged hole. I doubt this is what you are doing. Just me spouting a .02 worth of something.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    Do you have pictures of the targets? It's probably not the gun, most likely it's something you're doing.

I don't Bullseye, I shoot USPSA. But I would recommend dry fire just like I would to someone who shoots USPSA or IDPA. It should be easy for you to simulate the entire match in dry fire. Do that everyday, maybe even a couple times a day. That's what I would do anway. I don't remember the story exactly, but Lanny Basham won nationals once in rifle shooting by dry firing the hole match everyday. He wasn't able to do much live fire at all that year.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    It's a rimfire, make sure there is something in there so you don't beat the hell out of the firing pin when dry firing. Snap cap, spent brass, whatever.

This is hard to diagnose without looking at your hand and face as the shot breaks - note I didn't say "when you break the shot". If you can see the fire, you focused on the front sight and didn't flinch.

Try a bunch of different ammo types. I have a Ruger MKII that loves Federal Automatch and another that opens up several inches with it. None of my guns run Eley worth a damn. Wolf target ammo is kind of sexy but YMMV.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    22 Rimfire at 50 feet, indoors.

Attachments

• 2017-03-21 17.42.27.jpg
      2017-03-21 17.42.27.jpg
      64.9 KB · Views: 162
    • 2017-03-21 17.42.35.jpg
      2017-03-21 17.42.35.jpg
      66.9 KB · Views: 162
    • 2017-03-21 17.42.41.jpg
      2017-03-21 17.42.41.jpg
      69.7 KB · Views: 163
    • 2017-03-21 17.42.49.jpg
      2017-03-21 17.42.49.jpg
      76.7 KB · Views: 159

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Wild card is muscle fatigue in hand/ arm causing inconsistencies in grip/ stance.

Failing that, at this point don't obsess over the shifting and seek spot solutions. Stick to basics of trigger control, stance, trigger control, grip, trigger control. As your fundamentals improve , the "problem" will either fix itself, or become more recognizable.

Added - For three months, that dosen't suck. Keep up focusing on fundamentals. 95% of advanced shooting is fundamentals done well. And Bullseye involves pure fundimental more than most pistol sports.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I don't know how these shoots are shot. Are they timed(or within reasonable time limit)? If not, my advice would be to shoot slower. Start there. Don't stay aimed in for all 10 shots (or even 2 in a row). Bring your arms down, take a breath, reset and start all over with each shot. Could just be a physical thing with arms and all. People tend to rush when getting fatigued. When shots go awry, then we get frustrated and then want to get the round over with.
    Don't pay attention to where the last shot goes. Because you'll either try to shoot that group or do your own kentucky windage to get back to the orange bullseye.
    And don't shoot the "sway". The sight alignment will never be perfectly still and we tend to want to watch it sway under/across the bullseye and pull the trigger when it is getting ready to touch the bull.Then we jerk it. More often our brains tend to interfere with the eyes and wants to dictate what we are seeing. Ignore the brain and trust the eyes and that clear front sight and smooth trigger.

That's about all I have :)

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    If you had very tight groups that moved around the target it might be one thing. But those groups look similar in size and distribution to my eye.

My guess is that gun and ammo are quite capable, and like all of us, you'll get tighter groups with more practice.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actual Bullseye matches will have Slow Fire, Timed, and Rapid stages. I don't have them memorized, but Slow is measured with sundial , and Timed , you won't take a mid string coffebreak, but plenty of time to aim and squeeze each shot. Two different targets are used. The slow fire has smaller scoring rings than the Timed and Rapid target. Most ( many?) shooters report the Timed stage easiest/ best scores owing to the difference in scoring ring size...

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Fundamentals mostly. Top two targets are pulling generally low and both left and right. When you squeeze the trigger, don't use your whole hand. It looks like you could be milking a bit. Your predominant issue looks to be the fundamentals. BRASS= Breath, Relax, Aim, Slack, Squeeze.
    I've attached a few slides from presentation I made up for a handgun coaching class that I developed for instructors teaching new shooters. There are some pretty good tips you could use even though you're experienced.

Attachments

• Handgun fundamentals slides.pdf
      773.2 KB · Views: 192

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    Thank you for your advice. Bullseye is a discipline and rome wasn't built in a day. I will be working on the fundamentals.

I suspect that I am milking the shot and swaying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom