New CZ 455 Evolution with a scratch on the stock...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Hi all,

Just picked up a new CZ 455 with the Boyd's Evolution stock... I began shooting just before SB281 passed just as 22LR became harder to obtain, so this is both my first 22 bolt, and my first wood stock on any firearm.

Couldn't be happier with it. Haven't gotten glass on it yet - I have a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40mm scope left over from previous builds, so as soon as the rings come in I'll mount it and take it out. The stock does look interesting, but it is phenomenal to handle - feels really balanced, very comfortable to hold. Even though this is not a light rifle by any means, with the crazy thick bull barrel, the weight is distributed well.

Looking at it this morning less than 24 hours after I go it, I saw a scratch on the stock. I have no woodworking experience, and all of my previous long gun builds had zero wood content in them, so I have no idea what to do with this. Is this normal - could it come from the factory this way? Alternatively, are there ways of dealing with this that don't involve refinishing the whole stock? Or do scratches like this come all the time and it's not worth worrying about them?

The goal of me owning this rifle is to have a cheap plinker for friends and also something my daughter will be able to shoot in the near future, does wood scratch this easily normally? The ceracoat on my semiautos doesn't scratch no matter what I do to it, but I guess that's not really relevant to wood...

Attachments

• 20170422_162047.jpg
      20170422_162047.jpg
      57.7 KB · Views: 572
    • 20170422_192710.jpg
      20170422_192710.jpg
      38 KB · Views: 555

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    It may just be in the clear over the wood. If it really bothers you, try rubbing some wood wax on it and see if it blends in. I personally would be thrilled to have a tack driving 22 and wouldn't care about the first of many scratches and dings from use. Find some wolf match target for that and get back to the range.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    So stuff like this is normal for wood stocks that actually get taken out of safes? Didn't realize this stuff is that fragile, spoiled by polymer and aluminum I guess...

Funny, my other Czech rifle is a full length Scorpion Evo and that thing can get smacked around with a hammer and nothing happens to the plastic.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I really like laminated stocks, put one on my Savage just like that one and it handles and feels real good, although it looks a little unconventional.. lol

It's a gun, don't worry about a little scratch here or there on it, that's my take. Even laminated stocks are still just wood. Tough and pretty impervious wood, but prone to damage (cosmetic) if you are rough with em. Personally, my guns are all tools, I don't worry about a scratch or dent in the stock, or a little bluing wear on the action.

Attachments

• IMG_3701 small.jpg
      IMG_3701 small.jpg
      104.8 KB · Views: 509

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Wood isn't particularly fragile, it just doesn't remain pristine if your actually use it.

On a scale of 1 to 10 , your boo-boo is maybe a 1.1.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    I really like laminated stocks, put one on my Savage just like that one and it handles and feels real good, although it looks a little unconventional.. lol

It's a gun, don't worry about a little scratch here or there on it, that's my take. Even laminated stocks are still just wood. Tough and pretty impervious wood, but prone to damage (cosmetic) if you are rough with em. Personally, my guns are all tools, I don't worry about a scratch or dent in the stock, or a little bluing wear on the action.

Nice foot!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It gives the rifle character. :)

Look at a Rack Grade Garand sometime. :)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    But seriously, back in the days of blue steel and walnut, firearms that were actually used developed character. Was almost a thing of pride, that showed you were a serious shooter.

This is different from abuse or damage, and most gun people recognized the difference at a glance.

nerfherder

Apr 22, 2011
    right here

Sticky you win the internet today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom