• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    There seems to be a lot of posts from new members unsure of how to sell, acquire or transfer a modern handgun without help from a gun store, or about how to conduct a transfer at the least cost.

The answer, for you new members, is the Maryland State Police barracks transfer, which is FREE when the transfer occurs between eligible family members, or only $10 to do sale/transfer paperwork between other Buyers and Sellers.

I, myself, am doing another MSP barracks transfer again this week, so I have written this fairly comprehensive step-by-step guide. Here goes:

A Maryland modern handgun owner can sell or transfer to another eligible Marylander by completing Maryland Firearm Transfer paperwork at any Maryland State Police barracks. Each barracks has the paperwork needed and will guide people in how to fill them out and the cost is only $10 for unrelated Buyers and Sellers.

Pick a MD State Police barracks--there are 22 of them spread out across the state. It doesn't hurt to call ahead to let them know you are coming. They are supposed to be available to do this 24 hours a day, but service call volume might make one hour better than another. You can also do the sales/transfer paperwork at the Maryland State Police HQ in Pikesville, but you must call the HQ for the particular hours they do it. Here is the list of the barracks:

https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/FieldOperationsBureau/Barracks.aspx

The Seller brings the firearm to the MSP barracks and meets the Buyer in the parking lot. (Before making the trip the Seller will have double-checked to see that the firearm is UNLOADED, so as not to risk an arrest). Using a trunk or cargo area as a table top, the Buyer inspects the firearm for sale, but both of you take care to shield the firearm from the view of any third party, so as not create any alarm. The Seller then returns the firearm to its travel case and LEAVES IT IN THE TRUNK. No money should change hands at this point.

The Buyer and Seller then proceed into the barracks lobby--sometimes by pressing a security buzzer--and approach the sliding glass duty window, again WITHOUT the firearm. The Buyer will have their Handgun Qualification License on hand, plus a $10 US Postal Service money order or personal check made out to the "Maryland State Police". If the Seller offers to pay the $10, no problem, but the MSP does NOT accept cash.

Tell the trooper on duty you wish to conduct a transfer and follow their instructions about paperwork, and about how and when the firearm is handled to verify the model and serial number. There are three scenarios with the firearm:

About a third of the the time a trooper accompanies the Seller outside to inspect the firearm in the trunk of the Seller's vehicle to get the model and serial number, and the firearm is not brought inside. About a third of the time the trooper accompanies the Seller outside and the trooper takes possession of the firearm and brings it inside. Or the trooper on duty will instruct the Seller to retrieve the firearm and bring it--cased up-- into the barracks to hand off to the trooper for inspection.

Be very careful to follow the trooper's exact instructions on firearm handling. REPEAT: their exact instructions.

The Seller and Buyer will be asked for their Driver's Licenses and the Buyer for his or her HQL. Be aware that during the time you are there the MSP will check to see if the firearm rightfully belongs to the Seller and whether either of you have any warrants. The troopers will cuff you up immediately if you do.

Note to Buyers: remember to check the Designated Collector box at the top of the paperwork if you are a DC. Also the first four digits of your HQL number will be the year you received it and these digits ARE PART OF YOUR FULL NUMBER. Your personal info goes in the "TRANSFEREE" section.

Note to Sellers: on the top of the paperwork you will check the "SECONDARY SALE" box and your personal info will go in the "TRANSFEROR" section NOT the "Dealer" section.

The trooper will complete the Firearm Section with make, model , serial number, etc, or in a rare case have you do it but he/she will check it. If the trooper does not tell you, ask the trooper his or her preference on this section.

After signing the bottom left corner of the WHITE top copy, the Buyer (Transferee) and Seller (Transferor) will both walk away with colored copies of the paperwork while the MSP keeps the WHITE original top copy and a few color copies behind it. Again, no money should change hands at this point--except for maybe a small "good faith" deposit--because the Seller must hold the firearm for another 8 days to honor Maryland's "Cooling Off Period". It is important to know that even though transfer paperwork has been completed by both Buyer and Seller at the barracks, the firearm REMAINS THE PROPERTY OF THE SELLER until it is handed over to the Buyer at a second "signing ceremony" as described in the paragraph below.

Generally, it will take a week or two for the Seller to receive the Buyer's approval notice in the mail from the MSP. This mailing will include the ORIGINAL WHITE COPY that you signed and left with the trooper in the barracks. The Seller will then meet the Buyer anyplace that both parties mutually agree to so that both can sign the bottom of this WHITE copy again. This is the time for the Buyer to hand over the cash for the firearm. The Seller signs as the "Transferor" and hands over the handgun the Buyer signs as the "Transferee", with these signatures going on the bottom right corner.

After the Seller and Buyer sign the WHITE top copy, the Seller mails all of the pages--the WHITE and some color pages marked "Forensic Science Division"--back to the MSP by First Class mail. The MSP includes an info sheet with their return address in their mailing.

Caution to the Buyer: DO NOT FLASH THE FIREARM IN THE OPEN when the Seller hands it over. It's best for the Buyer to peek at it in the trunk--in its case--so as not to trigger a SWAT call out.

The Buyer should drive home directly with the firearm, or to the range and then directly home. When traveling with a firearm, be aware you may be followed if a Bad Guy sees what he believes is a firearm or firearms case during the hand-off, so use care. If you think you are being followed make two U-turns quickly. If someone follows you though the second U-turn, call 911 on your cell and report your situation.

God speed.

PS: Some will say Sellers are free to hand-over the firearm after 8 days, even if the paperwork has not been received back yet. For Newbies, I recommend that you wait until the paperwork comes back with the official approval, which will be indicated on the WHITE copy with the non-sensical phrase "Not Disapproved" stamped on the middle of the page in large letters.

ALSO: I have incorporated in this Original Post the many fine suggestions from posts and questions that follow in this thread, which is why some issues and explanations show up twice. I encourage you to print-out this post and take it with you for reference on your first MSP barracks transfer.

On another thread I found this good summation from Threeband on Registration history. Some modern handguns in Maryland have never been registered because handgun owners moving to Maryland before 2013 were not required to register them, or because Marylanders owned them prior to about 1996. However these handguns will become part of the state handgun database now when transferred to family or non-family buyers via handgun registration paperwork:

To this day, Maryland does not have "mandatory registration".

Many people believe handguns must be "registered" to be legal, but I think that's only true in Illinois and New York. Perhaps other states, but not Maryland.

It is perfectly legal to possess a handgun which is not "registered".

There has never been a requirement that Marylanders "register" their handguns.

For years, Maryland has been building a database of transfers, but that is not quite the same thing as the sort of true registration you're thinking of.

I believe they started keeping records of dealer transfers back in the '60s, and gradually over the years, the database has grown to include more and more handguns.

But there was never a requirement that Marylanders "register" handguns they already owned before the database was begun. Those guns are still legal.

Until 1996 private face to face handgun sales were legal, and those were not "registered" in the database. There has never been a retroactive requirement to enter those pre 1996 transfers into the database.

Until 2013, people moving here from other states were not required to "register" their handguns. There is no retroactive requirement to enter pre-2013 imports into the database.

FFL holders may still import handguns without entering them in the database.

So there are a LOT of perfectly legal handguns which are owned by Marylanders which are not in the database of transfers.

That's because the database only records transfers, not possession (except for post-10/1/13 new residents).

The MSP knows this, and they will not raise an eyebrow over a 1984 gun that's not in their database yet. They will run a trace of the serial number to see if it's stolen, and they will check you for warrants, but no one will be arrested for "possessing an unregistered handgun", because there is no such crime.

And of course, once you do the transfer, the gun will be in the database.

Last edited:

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Thanks for the info. For a newbie like me who's never done this, I have a question. We meet, I pay, do the paperwork and go home. What's to stop the seller from not showing up next week with the gun? Only the threat of small claims court? Seems like it's worth doing research on the seller, to make sure they wouldn't cause undue hassles, correct?

If you do personal transfers at an FFL, do they hold it for the buyer?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Thanks for the info. For a newbie like me who's never done this, I have a question. We meet, I pay, do the paperwork and go home. What's to stop the seller from not showing up next week with the gun? Only the threat of small claims court? Seems like it's worth doing research on the seller, to make sure they wouldn't cause undue hassles, correct?

Interesting question. I have personally done quite few transactions on both sides of the deal with members here at two different barracks.

You MUST feel comfortable with your seller. I insist on talking to them on the phone prior to meeting in person, if they can't call you, they aren't serious.

Second, there's no need to (ever) pay for anything in full that you are not walking away with that day. A deposit that is fair to both parties should suffice. However, if you were to be "disapproved" the seller may not be to interested in returning your deposit, case by case on that I suppose.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    If done at an FFL it's a different process all together. They will log it in and physically hold it for the seller. I'd rather go the MSP route, no sense in involving an FFL in my opinion.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD

Sellers should not expect to be paid until the firearm is handed over at the second meet-up. Maybe a 25% deposit or at most 33% if you are comfortable. I, personally, don't pay anything in advance as a Buyer.

Remember that the receipt page that you walk with from the first meeting will have the Seller's and Buyer's address and phone number on it. For this reason don't proceed with anyone who gives you the creeps.

Even though you are doing paperwork at the first meet-up, the firearm is not officially in the Buyer's name until the signing ceremony on the second meet-up. Therefore, the firearm is not "in limbo" if a Seller or Buyer walks before the hand-off because a transfer is never finalized without signatures from the second meet-up.

If you process through an FFL/gun store, the personal info for both parties is held only by the FFL and MSP, and stays there. The FFL also holds the firearm until the approval notice comes back. If this "personal info shield" is important to you, you might prefer the FFL transfer process, with a fee of $40-$100.

Routinely, FFL's get approval back within 8 days because of their electronic submissions, whereas the MSP paperwork is snail-mailed to Baltimore and then back to the Buyer, and that takes longer.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Thanks PJDiesel and Rack&Roll. The idea of a deposit or paying at the end makes more sense. And thanks for clarifying about nothing being finalized until the signing.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Thanks PJDiesel and Rack&Roll. The idea of a deposit or paying at the end makes more sense. And thanks for clarifying about nothing being finalized until the signing.

I've done it both ways. People I get a good vibe from, no worries about the money, settle up when your GTG. :thumbsup:

Its a smooth of a process as buyer and seller choose to make it. If one of the two are a nervous nelly, it can get stressful. If the Trooper you happen to get behind the duty desk is a dick (happens), the process can suck. 7 times out of 10 they'll make you feel like you've ruined their day by even showing up there.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Some MSP barracks Duty Officers, when they answer the phone, will claim that Firearm Transfer paperwork can only be done on a certain day or hour of the week, but that is the result of a preference that certain barracks commanders have instituted. The general guideline is that citizens should be accommodated any day of the week and during any hour when the troopers are not handling a crisis.

As a general rule, troopers don't relish providing this service because your sales/transfer paperwork on top of the paperwork they already have is...well, no fun, but it is part of trooper duties.

If there is a high call volume they might even say they don't think they can accommodate you. This happened the last time and I just insisted on waiting for the desk to settle down, which took 15 minutes. I've even had a trooper glare at me and ask me why don't I just "take it to a gun store". I stood my ground and said I would wait til he was free and it got done 20 minutes later.

Two approaches you can take: If one MSP barracks puts up too many roadblocks, either when you call in advance or when you show up, you can go to another barracks. Or you can demand a supervisor and tell them that it is your understanding that this paperwork process is available at any hour of the day. They can sulk and make you wait a bit, but it should not be for long. These anecdotes are unusual though and most times you walk in and they are ready to go after less than 5 minutes.

The other "attitude" issue you face has real consequences so pay attention to this: many troopers have have little or no firearm history before signing up with MSP, so the many types of handguns they register can stump them. But their pride will NOT let them ask you for help with Make, Model and Serial Number. For that reason, both Buyer and Seller should absolutely know the Make, Model and Serial Number of the firearm and then CHECK to see if the trooper has put the correct info on the forms.

In one instance I had a PART number stamped on a revolver crane put on the form by the trooper instead of the serial number on the butt of the grip. Another time the trooper marked an AR-15 barrel length as "8 inches" because that is all he saw coming out of the hand guard! Of course, it was an 16 inch barrel, but it could be a clusterfcuk if this info is wrong in the official file.

So trust, but verify!

Last edited:

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Not to throw a monkey wrench into this very informative thread, but I transferred (sold) a handgun through the Westminster barracks about a month ago and the procedure was different from the way described by the OP. When both of us had completed the forms, the trooper made copies of them and said he would be faxing COPIES of the forms to the Licensing Division. He then handed me ALL the copies of the form and told me that when I received the "not disapproved" letter back from Licensing, I could effect the transfer and at that point, I was to mail the original form and the other copy (can't remember the name of it) back to the licensing division. It was the same way for another transfer I did at Waterloo a couple of months ago but the difference with that one was that the trooper on duty told me I could bring the original paperwork back after the transfer and he would messenger it up to Licensing.

Point is, there still is (as admitted by the trooper in Westminster) a lot of confusion from barracks to barracks as to how the transfer process is supposed to work. Bottom line is, whatever they tell you, follow their directions and document who you spoke to.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    That trooper did it wrong.

The original WHITE top copy that is sent up to Baltimore after the first paperwork session will have to be STAMPED with the "Not Disapproved" mark, and then signed and dated by the licensing trooper at the Pikesville HQ.

That original copy is then mailed back to the Seller, who then carries it to the 2nd meet-up to be signed and dated as the firearm is handed over.

In the case you describe, the trooper did it wrong because the WHITE copy with the inked signatures and dates WOULD NOT HAVE THE STAMP on it approving the transfer--something that both Buyer and Seller would want to see for themselves at the firearm handoff.

I have always thought it is funny that this crucial state document gets mailed all over God's Creation, but that is the way they set it up.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Great info, only thing that I would add is it's perfectly fine to transfer on the 8th day. The only thing this might do is necessitate a third meeting to sign the MSP paperwork.

psusra112

Jun 8, 2011
    lol
    That trooper did it wrong.

The original WHITE top copy that is sent up to Baltimore after the first paperwork session will have to be STAMPED with the "Not Disapproved" mark, and then signed and dated by the licensing trooper at the Pikesville HQ.

That original copy is then mailed back to the Seller, who then carries it to the 2nd meet-up to be signed and dated as the firearm is handed over.

In the case you describe, the trooper did it wrong because the WHITE copy with the inked signatures and dates WOULD NOT HAVE THE STAMP on it approving the transfer--something that both Buyer and Seller would want to see for themselves at the firearm handoff.

I have always thought it is funny that this crucial state document gets mailed all over God's Creation, but that is the way they set it up.

No, that's not necessarily correct and if you don't work for MSP, you aren't an authority source on what is or isn't protocol/procedure. Did one of these a few weeks ago, myself.

Trooper at GB barracks faxed the info over to HQ, gave me all copies of everything and instructed me to wait for the not-disapproved letter. Got the Not-Disapproved letter on day 8, we finished signing everything and the paperwork went off to MSP via mail with both signatures on it, with us keeping our respective copies.

Key to this is YMMV. There is no "right or wrong" when it comes to handling the paperwork except that after the transfer, all copies that aren't marked "transferee, transferor" must be mailed to MSP ASAP. You may get a letter, you may get a stamped copy of the white sheet back. Roll with how the trooper wants you to do the paperwork and you'll be fine. It's pretty clear that the Licensing division is pretty haphazard with how they handle this, beyond making sure you get some notification that the buyer is not disapproved.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    There is no "right or wrong" when it comes to handling the paperwork except that after the transfer, all copies that aren't marked "transferee, transferor" must be mailed to MSP ASAP.

Whoa.

Actually, there IS a right or wrong. Just like Troopers telling people they must wait for the paperwork when clearly that is wrong.

I transferred a handgun to another member here on the 9th calendar day, paperwork came back 156 days later. He wasn't about to wait that amount of time and I wasn't going to make him. ;)

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    psusra112: I can assume that the fax copy and originals all make it back to the same file in Pikesville, but when the original WHITE copy with inked signatures is used at the second meet-up, it's much more reassuring to all parties to witness that the original document is completed in their presence.

And to PJ Diesel's point, yes, Newbie's can read on other threads here about why many members meet up on the 9th day to transfer a firearm and then meet a 3rd time for signatures after many days, weeks, or a half year later when the paperwork finally comes back because of an MSP processing backlog.

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland
    Thanks for the guide, this is very helpful. I now realize I will always use an FFL over MSP. It sounds like way too much of a PITA in order to save a few bucks - whichs is all it amounts to after gas and all the secretarial work. Having said that, I greatly appreciate your explanation of the process.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Thanks for the guide, this is very helpful. I now realize I will always use an FFL over MSP. It sounds like way too much of a PITA in order to save a few bucks - whichs is all it amounts to after gas and all the secretarial work. Having said that, I greatly appreciate your explanation of the process.

It's really not a big deal. The troopers at the Bel Air Barracks have been very helpful and professional the times I have used them. The buyer and seller can meet anywhere they want to do the actual transfer.(the last one I did was in a Wal Mart parking lot( that was close to where the seller worked)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom