• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • earle9966

Jan 29, 2017
    Whiteford, MD
    I have a Browning hi power 9mm
    I've never liked the mag disconnect feature. I'm thinking about removing the mechanism. It looks very simple so I will just do it myself.
    Is their any reason I should not do this?

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    I bought a C&R one a few years back and removed it without any functional problems after a 50-100 rounds. I still have the part and would just put it back or provide it to the next owner if sold.

Besides the intended safety function, removing it was supposed to smooth out the trigger some, I didn't notice anything groundbreaking though.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Earl,

I have thought about this as well, but from a legal standpoint, I don't know if it is a wise decision. Modification of a safety system could be used against you in court in a self defense case. This is only an observation, and I don't personally know any case where this has been a factor. Just the heresay you hear on the gun forums and interwebs.

Q

earle9966

Jan 29, 2017
    Whiteford, MD
    Earl,

I have thought about this as well, but from a legal standpoint, I don't know if it is a wise decision. Modification of a safety system could be used against you in court in a self defense case. This is only an observation, and I don't personally know any case where this has been a factor. Just the heresay you hear on the gun forums and interwebs.

Q

Gun mods are too common for me to not do it for that reason. Sorry, but that is a big portion of what his site is about and why I like so much.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    Earl,

Q

To put things in perspective, there has also been floating around stories of how shooting reloads in a self defense situation will land you in jail since the DA will prosecute you for using killer bullets... Stupid, and there has not been any case backing up this ridiculous claim, just like there aren't any cases backing up the removal of a magazine disconnect on a handgun.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Remove it and be happy that you did. One less part to impede an already great trigger pull.

People originally railed against Glock removing any kind of manual safety and yet--here we are decades later and it's no longer an expectated safety feature.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Be careful, on some BHP's the pins aren't taper - they're pressed in. Trust me, it ain't easy (or pretty) to drive out a pressed in pin at home with a hammer and punch.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I would take it out. Read some since you may want to replace other parts while in there, a wider trigger is nice as well as doing a little cleaning and polishing as you go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom