My effort to increase draw of M1 Garand trigger guard. What do you think of it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    I purchased a 3.7 million S.A. M1 Garand, LEAD 1969 refurb. at a gun shop in Baltimore County last year. The rifle is in excellent shape with ME of 1 and TE of 1.5 with the exception of the stock. The stock is almost blonde; probably either birch or beech.The previous owner had sanded the crap out of it and if there were any cartouches they were long gone. The previous owner then applied a gloss finish to the stock making it look like a Remington BDL.

There was very little draw when closing the trigger guard so I was looking for a way to increase the draw without extensive routing the stock in the trigger guard bedding areas as outlined in Kunhausen. In fact if I was inclined to go this way I didn't have the proper tools to make a good job of it anyway. I search turned up mostly use of shims in the bedding areas that didn't seem to permanent or durable.

The stock showed the usual compression of the wood in the magazine and rear trigger guard contact areas. So to see how much additional height I would have to add to these areas I did use shim stock to see how much. About .020" worth of shim gave much better draw and in my mind not so much as to unduly wear the trigger guard lugs.

I found that the head thickness of 18 gauge wire nails averaged 18 to 20 thousandths of a inch which roughly equaled the amount that I needed to increase the contact surfaces on the stock. With a slightly smaller wire gauge drill bit I drilled 6 holes (4 in the mag area and 2 in the rear contact area) and drove in the six wire gauge nails that were cut off to about 5/8" in length. I assembled the receiver with the trigger group which is now bearing against the heads of the 6 wire gauge nails and the draw effort was greatly improved.

Next I masked off the stock just outside of the magazine area of the trigger guard and drilled a series of 3/32" holes (probably 10 total on each side) under the trigger guard in the magazine and rear contact areas. I applied several coats of release agent to the trigger. Next I applied a reasonable amount of Acraglas Gel to the four contact areas working it in to the holes to key the Agraglas Gel in to the stock. I assembled the upper receiver, stock and trigger group and closed the trigger guard to the point where I just started to feel some draw. Next I removed the masking. I stained the stock with Gale Lock dark walnut and Chestnut Ridge walnut plus 4 coats of tung oil.

Attached are some pictures of the finished product. Wish I had taken some pics during the process but I didn't. With my handloaded ball the rifle will consistently puts 5 shots in 2" at 100 yards. My main concern is durability of this arrangement. After three outings and approx. 200 rds. down the tube so far so good. I realize I'm not building a match rifle just wanted to alleviate an obvious problem with this rifle. I'd be interested in any comments.

Attachments

• DSC00923.JPG
      DSC00923.JPG
      42.4 KB · Views: 638
    • DSC00924.JPG
      DSC00924.JPG
      40.3 KB · Views: 543
    • DSC00922.JPG
      DSC00922.JPG
      44.9 KB · Views: 554
    • DSC00925.JPG
      DSC00925.JPG
      51.7 KB · Views: 517

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I think you'll be fine on durability. M1 stocks wear out anyway and I don't see the Acraglas shearing off.

Does yours have the triangle ink stamp? My first M1 was an untouched LEAD rebuild, though I haven't fired it in years.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Essentially pillar bedding in the trigger area. The speedy fix are shims.

No longer GSM as-issued match legal, by the way. Legal in unlimited category though.

Stocks and/or trigger housing parts are not too hard to find that will produce a good lock up.

Looks like a nice job though.

Orlando

Did you check the lugs on your trigger guard? If they have flat spots it needs replaced and will increase lockup. Would have been easier than bedding stock which will make it JCG Match illegal

Looks like you did a nice job on the repair

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    Did you check the lugs on your trigger guard? If they have flat spots it needs replaced and will increase lockup. Would have been easier than bedding stock which will make it JCG Match illegal

Looks like you did a nice job on the repair

The lugs had minimal flattening where they engage the receiver. I have some rifles with more flattening of the trigger guard lugs that have sufficient draw. Actually I ordered 2 forged trigger guards from Fulton Armory thinking that would be an easy fix. The 2 I received didn't help. I ordered the forged trigger guards because I read that you can also peen the lugs if necessary which are supposedly softer as opposed to the lugs on stamped ones to increase draw. After thinking about it seems like you would have to do a lot of peening and the repair would not be very durable.
    I realize this would not be legal for JCG Match; I'm not a match competitor although would like to try it someday; two more years till semi retirement; maybe find the time then.
    Anyway I have other M1's that would be match legal; just wanted to give this project a try.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Personally, I would have either replaced the stock or did a complete bedding job. No need to use the nails with a proper bedding job. That said, if it works for you, all is good, after all you are the one that has to be satisfied. Consistently putting 5 shots into 2" @ 100yds is pretty good!

8milimeter

RICHARD (dino)
    Feb 15, 2009
    Frederick, Md
    I really wish the CMP would drop the shim rule. Even glass bedding does not do that much in a Garand.
    Look at the National results ( as-issued vs. unlimited). As issued Garand's had higher scores in two out the last three national matches.
    What it comes down to is generally he who shoots the best offhand wins.

I just hate buying Garand stocks, I have three now compressed beyond competition use.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I really wish the CMP would drop the shim rule. Even glass bedding does not do that much in a Garand.
    Look at the National results ( as-issued vs. unlimited). As issued Garand's had higher scores in two out the last three national matches.
    What it comes down to is generally he who shoots the best offhand wins.

I just hate buying Garand stocks, I have three now compressed beyond competition use.

Take a good look at who is shooting what type of Garand. Some of the best shooters are shooting "as issued" but they are most likely hand selected for the best fit. Some of those rifles will shoot every bit as well as a glass bedded rifle but will not do it for anywhere near as long or as consistently. Those top shooters are going to be checking and fitting their rifles every year.
    "You win the match in offhand and lose it at 600", as the old saying goes. I know the Garand match doesn't go out past 200 so, the part about winning the match in offhand holds especially true for the Garand match!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom