• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Apr 8, 2016
    Hi All,

I'm coating a shotgun with Duracoat flat black for a protective base layer and I plan on using Rustoleum camo on top of the Duracoat for my camo patterning (because the rustoleum would be a more seasonal application and strips easier than duracoat).

My question is does anyone know how long I have to wait after spraying the Duracoat before I cover it with the base color for my camo (khaki)?

I'm not that familiar with paint chemicals but Duracoat says the firearm can be used 24hours after coating. Is it safe to cover the duracoat with rustoleum khaki after that amount of time, or even 48 hours? I'm not sure if covering the duracoat with rustoleum would compromise the duracoat curing process...

thanks.

Apr 8, 2016
    Thanks for being so helpful........

As a matter of fact, I had already done extensive searching and also called Lauer (the people I've spoken to seemed to be confused) about this process which is why I've come to the forum to look for actual advice. I was hoping for someone with real world experience with a similar process to help me out. Or at least someone intelligent enough to explain the curing process with this chemical interaction instead of just posting links to FAQ sections of manufacturer websites.

So again, is there anyone who can offer some actual input? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    The answer was there in plain English.

When is DuraCoat® fully cured?
    DuraCoat® is dry to the touch in 20 minutes, can be handled in 1 hour and is ready for use overnight. Although DuraCoat® will gain most of its final hardness, elasticity and chemical resistance over a 2-3 week period, time will continue to enhance DuraCoat's characteristics over a lifetime. DuraCoat®, like fine wine, gets better with age. As we say, "DuraCoat® wears in, not out."

2-3 weeks for a full cure. It needs to fully cure before you apply anything over it.

Apr 8, 2016
    Ok... maybe I should rephrase my question.

Can I apply a full coat of Rustoleum over Duracoat without inhibiting Duracoat cure time or compromising the durability of the finish?

Will the Duracoat not cure if its covered? Is it dependent on oxygen to cure?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If DuraCoat doesn't have a kick starter catalyst to assist drying and has to rely on evaporation only, I would wait several months before applying anything over it.

Dry to the touch and dry enough to handle doesn't mean it's dry through and through.

And what are you using to strip the Rustoleum that won't also strip the DuraCoat?

Apr 8, 2016
    Duracoat does have a catalyst. I would use something to the potency of mineral spirits or acetone to remove the Rustoleum down the road and only after camo layers have collected for at least 2-3 seasons.

BTW, thank you for the productive response.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Duracoat does have a catalyst. I would use something to the potency of mineral spirits or acetone to remove the Rustoleum down the road and only after camo layers have collected for at least 2-3 seasons.

BTW, thank you for the productive response.

The difference between mineral spirits and acetone is the difference between a soap box racer and a quarter mile dragster.

Mineral spirits will not remove dried paint. Acetone most definitely will. But acetone may also remove the DuraCoat. You'll need a paint stripper of some sort.

Your best bet is to make up some test plates. Make them out of steel. Prime them, DuraCoat them, and paint them. Then try different Rustoleum removal methods.

To be honest, your bestest best bet for a weather proof base coat would be Parkerizing. Paint adheres well to Parkerizing. And Parkerizing can't be removed with stripping products.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Ditto. In all honesty, I'd probably skip the Duracoat and just paint the thing after a basic bluing. If you let the paint cure untouched for a couple weeks it'll hold up well enough. 10/22's and Marlin Model 60's are just painted from the factory with cheap lacquer and lamp cured. They seem to hold up fine.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    My first thought is to wait a few months for the Duracoat to release its curing process agents or skip the Duracoat. My experience with painting furniture with Rustoleum is if you apply a second coat within a week the second coat is pushed off by gasses from the first coat. another week and Poly. I have no experience with Duracoat though.

I'm just jumping in here because I have had between coat timings go bad ... no fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom