• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maryland_Shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2008
    Glen Arm
    Notarized forms is all you need. I'll do the whole shebang for $1 :D

Probably going tonight and manning the MSI table for a few hours.

I'll be wearing a Black Shirt with a Guy Fawkes Mask on it that says:

Give me Liberty

Or I'll get up and get it myself.

Hat? probably a LaRue Tactical light tan one.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Am I correct to understand that you need to have purchased a regulated firearm in order to get the 'Maryland Collector' designation? I have seen in other threads that people have had difficulty with getting their name in the MSP database, because it requires a reference to a specific firearm transaction, according to conversations with the MSP on the phone.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Am I correct to understand that you need to have purchased a regulated firearm in order to get the 'Maryland Collector' designation? I have seen in other threads that people have had difficulty with getting their name in the MSP database, because it requires a reference to a specific firearm transaction, according to conversations with the MSP on the phone.

I have never purchased a regulated firearm in MD and I have a designation (for five years now). I have heard your paperwork goes through with remarkable speed if you do it at the same time as a purchase, but it is not a requirement.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I have never purchased a regulated firearm in MD and I have a designation (for five years now). I have heard your paperwork goes through with remarkable speed if you do it at the same time as a purchase, but it is not a requirement.

Thanks! I mailed a notarized letter in January of last year and I never got a reply. I too have not purchased a regulated firearm in MD. I have purchased shotguns and rifles. I have no reason to believe that I would be precluded from possessing a regulated firearm. Perhaps I should send in another letter?

bulletbill

Agent provocateur
    Dec 31, 2008
    SW FL
    Notarized forms is all you need. I'll do the whole shebang for $1 :D

Probably going tonight and manning the MSI table for a few hours.

I'll be wearing a Black Shirt with a Guy Fawkes Mask on it that says:

Give me Liberty

Or I'll get up and get it myself.

Hat? probably a LaRue Tactical light tan one.

You'll notorize?

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Ill come up and get mine, although it could be hazardous to my wallet. Do i need to get the forms noterized first, or after filling them out?

Maryland_Shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2008
    Glen Arm

Huh :sad20:

No - what the designated collector adds is:

The ability to buy more than one "regulated" weapon in a month; and
    the ability to transport firearms for showings, public or private.

Say you go to a friends house to show him or her your rifles/pistols/Mosin Nagant/SKS . . . . whatever.

So you are driving home at 12:00 a.m. and get stopped - you have nothing to worry about as far as being going to/from a dealer/gunsmith/range, etc.

The designated collector status grants you a bit more lattitude in transporting weapons.

Anyone in the hobby should get one IMO. you come across a deal on two pistols - BAM - you get them. No DC status - maybe you don't.

There are two other exceptions to the one a month:

Buying from an estate; or
    getting a discount on 2 items from a dealer, where he will give a price he couldn't otherwise offer if you bought just one.

Now - these are the rules, but I doubt many FFLs know it and as we all have seen - an FFL is a strange creature, not given to being educated by the unwashed masses.

Some will tell you, that is not the law and they will refuse to do the transfer :mad54:

Anyone who sent a letter and got no reply needs to re-send it Certified Mail, Return receipt.

You get back a little green card saying it was received and signed for along with the name of the person receiving/signing.

When I got one, the turn around was pretty fast. Hey - it's FREE so even though I never thought I'd use it, I bought 3 lowers at one place and then two lowers somewhere else. Good thing I had it or I'd have waited 5 months to get those lowers.

Some people get a bit paranoid about being on a "list" but if you bought a regulated weapon - you're on the list anyway :innocent0.

The police are not granted any exceptional powers - like inspecting your collection, entering your home, etc - that's all gun store ho-ha.

Want one - stop by the MSI table, I have 25 printed out.

Maryland_Shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2008
    Glen Arm
    Thanks! I mailed a notarized letter in January of last year and I never got a reply. I too have not purchased a regulated firearm in MD. I have purchased shotguns and rifles. I have no reason to believe that I would be precluded from possessing a regulated firearm. Perhaps I should send in another letter?

You should have received notice from MSP of your acceptance

Maryland_Shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2008
    Glen Arm
    Ill come up and get mine, although it could be hazardous to my wallet. Do i need to get the forms noterized first, or after filling them out?

Fill out - sign in front of me - provide proof of who you are - I notarize - done deal.

Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie

Definitely call them. Your letter back probably got lost in the shuffle.

marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    Huh :sad20:

No - what the designated collector adds is:

The ability to buy more than one "regulated" weapon in a month; and
    the ability to transport firearms for showings, public or private.

Say you go to a friends house to show him or her your rifles/pistols/Mosin Nagant/SKS . . . . whatever.

So you are driving home at 12:00 a.m. and get stopped - you have nothing to worry about as far as being going to/from a dealer/gunsmith/range, etc.

The designated collector status grants you a bit more lattitude in transporting weapons.

Anyone in the hobby should get one IMO. you come across a deal on two pistols - BAM - you get them. No DC status - maybe you don't.

There are two other exceptions to the one a month:

Buying from an estate; or
    getting a discount on 2 items from a dealer, where he will give a price he couldn't otherwise offer if you bought just one.

Now - these are the rules, but I doubt many FFLs know it and as we all have seen - an FFL is a strange creature, not given to being educated by the unwashed masses.

Some will tell you, that is not the law and they will refuse to do the transfer :mad54:

Anyone who sent a letter and got no reply needs to re-send it Certified Mail, Return receipt.

You get back a little green card saying it was received and signed for along with the name of the person receiving/signing.

When I got one, the turn around was pretty fast. Hey - it's FREE so even though I never thought I'd use it, I bought 3 lowers at one place and then two lowers somewhere else. Good thing I had it or I'd have waited 5 months to get those lowers.

Some people get a bit paranoid about being on a "list" but if you bought a regulated weapon - you're on the list anyway :innocent0.

The police are not granted any exceptional powers - like inspecting your collection, entering your home, etc - that's all gun store ho-ha.

Want one - stop by the MSI table, I have 25 printed out.
    The only "disadvantage" of purchasing more than one firearm in a single transaction, is that the FFL MUST notify ATF of the transaction and ATF will then hold record of the transaction. Otherwise (one firearm/transaction), the dealer holds the paperwork, the NCIC check is deleted after 24 hours, and "only" Maryland MSP has the "voluntary" registration of your firearm (which they keep forever and use it to populate their GIS mapping database with the location of all registered weapons in the state as well as the ID's of all CCW licensee's).

sandeman

Jun 19, 2008
    Pasadena
    The only "disadvantage" of purchasing more than one firearm in a single transaction, is that the FFL MUST notify ATF of the transaction and ATF will then hold record of the transaction. Otherwise (one firearm/transaction), the dealer holds the paperwork, the NCIC check is deleted after 24 hours, and "only" Maryland MSP has the "voluntary" registration of your firearm (which they keep forever and use it to populate their GIS mapping database with the location of all registered weapons in the state as well as the ID's of all CCW licensee's).
    good point

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie

It is not registration, it is recordation of sale/transfer. The voluntary registration form is the same form, but if you do not check that box your gun is not registered.
    They do keep a database, but it is of the last person to be a transferee in this state and is not of the current owner which can legally be someone else.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

No not realy. I was one of the people you may be talking about. The main thing that is going on is the lady who did the paperwork died in November so the MSP are just behind in processing the paperwork. The one problem I was having is the MSP have me listed as my last buy was with a dealer that no longer has their FFL. They were tellling me that they were having trouble getting their computer to take my name and they thought that was why. They told me to just give them a call as soon as I buy from another dealer and they think that will fix the issue with me.

Well I'm waiting on paperwork to come back now on a 92fs I bought so we will see.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

That all may be true, but if their is any reason to be concerned who has a record of a gun you bought is the state police and not the ATF. if we in Maryland ever have real problems with our guns it will be because Maryland will out law the ownership of firearms not the ATF. It's the states that come up with the very restrictive laws, not the feds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom