• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m4strmind

Nov 14, 2006
    What do we know about these candidates?

I cant seem to find anything about them other than what they put out themselves which is likely not very trustworthy.

Marsha B. Herbert
    Julie Kingsley
    Mary Kowaiski
    Donna Sivigny

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    All I know about any of them is the 1 Hillary supporter on 97 between rt 26 and HoCo has a Kingsley sign up as well. That right there would be enough reason not to vote for her if I lived in CC.

toddtrain

Sep 19, 2012
    Carroll County MD
    Folks in our neighborhood are backing Julie Kingsley and Donna Sivigny... school closings are the main issue.

These are the 2 hands down. I consider myself pretty educated on the Topics. I think Donna's skills bring a new view that a retired teacher like Herbert cannot. Kowaski is a loon and just got fired by the school system. Julie is new blood that can bring some views from Howard County experience.

When I asked Donna for a sign she personally delivered it and spend 20 minutes talking to me. She will lead that board for sure.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    All I know about any of them is the 1 Hillary supporter on 97 between rt 26 and HoCo has a Kingsley sign up as well. That right there would be enough reason not to vote for her if I lived in CC.

This ^^^. I have seen her signs next to van hollen signs as well, and that alone tells me all I need to know to NOT vote for her.

Julie is new blood that can bring some views from Howard County experience.

This is the last thing we need in Carroll. More bleeding heart, safe space, liberal ******** to have us raise a bunch of pansies with no skills to deal with the real world. No thanks.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    The big issue this election cycle is school closings. The current system is sized to support the the housing boom from 10 years ago, however now those students are exiting the system and some schools are way underutilized. Others are old or need substantial renovations. There have been independent studies suggesting how to approach the school realignment but they have been basically ignored as no one wants their school on the chopping block. To complicate matters, the county spent a shit load on a HS in northern county that is way underutilized, but they have to much invested to shut it down. Other schools have received state funds for repairs that will have to be paid back if they are closed. Alumni in Westminster have been rallying around a decrepit HS, Mount Airy folks are pi$$ed their elementary aged kids may get bussed 13 miles out of town to New Windsor while Eldersburg gets to keep multiple primary schools, Union Bridge parents upset that their only elementary is the most likely to be shuttered...

Basically it's one giant CF and no one is going to be happy with the outcome. If we lived a little further east I would send my munchkins to the Glenelg Country School and ignore all the drama.

Regarding Common Core... I don't think it's getting much air play right now.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Jesus, and here I am thinking the Howard County school system is a pile of crap and looking at 150+ acres in Carroll County as a result. Might be jumping out of the pot and into the fire by moving to Carroll County for school system reasons, but the political climate and open space would be a lot nicer.

We have the same issues here, but slightly different. We have a redistricting coming in 2018 that has a lot of people pissed off. They built more capacity in the western side of the county but the population increase has been mostly on the east side. To make matters worse, the county and state have mandated that any new school construction must be along the route 40 and I-95/route 1 corridor. We have an elementary school in the west that is extremely underutilized and my kids' elementary school is slated for 107% capacity in 2018.

Budgets are tight and class sizes are increasing. Lots more politics and drama involved with all of it, but I am glad to hear that Carroll County isn't much better. It makes staying put a lot easier, until I start looking at other states. lol By the way, 2 of the 3 incumbents did not make it out of the primaries, and the 3 barely squeaked by. It is going to be tough for her to win the general, but we shall see.

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    Public schools in CC are in the decline as more and more parents are sending the kids to private schools! These schools are seeing record growth and in some cases expansion across the county! More and more these schools are getting tax dollars as well to fund that record student population.
    As you stated CC public schools rolls are down, however those students have just moved to a place that the kids get a good education and in most cases FREE of common core! Common core is part of the issue but instead of parents fighting for what's right, they just blow it off and send the kids to a place without it and they pay for it.
    If your rich all is well, if your kids are in closing schools they don't care and don't want to hear about it.

It's almost like how things are with 2a rights, if it doesn't effect me, o well! I will just move/ or I don't use that firearm/ and all the other things we all have heard.

When will it be enough to just fight for what's right for "our Kids"!

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    Jesus, and here I am thinking the Howard County school system is a pile of crap and looking at 150+ acres in Carroll County as a result. Might be jumping out of the pot and into the fire by moving to Carroll County for school system reasons, but the political climate and open space would be a lot nicer.

We have the same issues here, but slightly different. We have a redistricting coming in 2018 that has a lot of people pissed off. They built more capacity in the western side of the county but the population increase has been mostly on the east side. To make matters worse, the county and state have mandated that any new school construction must be along the route 40 and I-95/route 1 corridor. We have an elementary school in the west that is extremely underutilized and my kids' elementary school is slated for 107% capacity in 2018.

Budgets are tight and class sizes are increasing. Lots more politics and drama involved with all of it, but I am glad to hear that Carroll County isn't much better. It makes staying put a lot easier, until I start looking at other states. lol By the way, 2 of the 3 incumbents did not make it out of the primaries, and the 3 barely squeaked by. It is going to be tough for her to win the general, but we shall see.

I will guarantee you that the private schools in Howard are experiencing record growth as well! If you look at the parents in Howard and who is going to those schools, there helping make the decision to remove schools and redistricting!

I believe most public schools over the next 5 years will see record decline!
    Private schools will get more and more fed and local tax dollars.
    Imho

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I will guarantee you that the private schools in Howard are experiencing record growth as well! If you look at the parents in Howard and who is going to those schools, there helping make the decision to remove schools and redistricting!

I believe most public schools over the next 5 years will see record decline!
    Private schools will get more and more fed and local tax dollars.
    Imho

How are private schools getting more and more federal, state, and county dollars? It doesn't seem as though private schools are receiving a lot of government funding as it is.

http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/oii/nonpublic/faqgeneral.html?src=preview

With that said, you generally get what you pay for. People paying for a private school education usually expect more from the school and teachers versus those sending their kids to a public school. It is the same argument with free college for everybody. Once the taxpayer foots the bill, nobody really cares about the quality of education because it is "free". Students don't care because they are not paying for it, parents do not care because they are not paying for it, and taxpayers do not care because they are merely paying for it indirectly and might not even have a child in the system. As a result, waste and poor education goes unchecked. A school is only as good as the parents involvement in the school. Kind of like the level of medical care received in a nursing home. The level of care is directly related to the number of visits by loved ones.

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    How are private schools getting more and more federal, state, and county dollars? It doesn't seem as though private schools are receiving a lot of government funding as it is.

http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/oii/nonpublic/faqgeneral.html?src=preview

With that said, you generally get what you pay for. People paying for a private school education usually expect more from the school and teachers versus those sending their kids to a public school. It is the same argument with free college for everybody. Once the taxpayer foots the bill, nobody really cares about the quality of education because it is "free". Students don't care because they are not paying for it, parents do not care because they are not paying for it, and taxpayers do not care because they are merely paying for it indirectly and might not even have a child in the system. As a result, waste and poor education goes unchecked. A school is only as good as the parents involvement in the school. Kind of like the level of medical care received in a nursing home. The level of care is directly related to the number of visits by loved ones.

Agree , when parents both have to work they can not Become involved and its left to the schools. Do you want a public school educating your child by teachers who teach the liberal agenda that the college education gave them or a private education who hire based on free thinking educators who teach the schools curriculum!
    I say most would vote for private.

However what if, we demanded a curriculum that fit values,truth, religion and on and on.

Listening to Politicians they continue to want to support private schools. Fed grants abound for private schools. Even Hogan speaks about this.

In Carroll County we have a commissioner that serves also as a CC school representative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom