• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    I saw the 45 revolver listed in 2A Sales forum while looking at the used listings and just drooled. I guess i'll have to stop in and see what they have. I have seen some online listing but with the way things have been going in this state i want to buy local if i can.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I'd go for a used Smith & Wesson over a new Taurus any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

Lou at Shooter's Discount periodically has police trade ins at good prices. Check with him.

We have a few 4" S&W 64's LE trades in excellent condition at $349.95 cash or check price.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    It is a good buy. But if you don't have one yet(as stated in OP), I'd HIGHLY recommend a 357. Two guns in one and loading the full Monty occasionally is just too much fun:)

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    The 686 was one i definitely like the look of but not even close to $500 from what i've seen. The S&W model 10 would be a great one, anyone have one?

Is $500 really not going to cut it for a reasonably good revolver???

OP,

You're not at all underfunded with a $500 revolver budget. You can buy a decent Smith or Ruger revolver for that amount, as well as a decent amount of ammo to feed it. What you want to consider IMO is something used but not abused. There is a wide open variety of good examples of used but not abused 38 Special and 357 Magnums available. These were far and away the predominant market leaders prior to the advent of the "wonder nines" so much more common and focused upon today.

As mentioned, the Ruger Security Six is one such example. This revolver preceded their current GP 100 offering, and is an excellent revolver in its own right. If you're open to the possibility of either chambering, so are it's cousins in the Ruger "six" series of the time, the Service Six and the Speed Six.

Smith has a huge array of possibilities in both 38 and 357. And as noted, a revolver chambered in 357 will allow you to shoot either cartridge, if so desired.

Gun shops tend to have their tendencies and their niches. As mentioned, one such shop with a niche that plays well to what you may be looking for is Shooter's Discount. My one and only purchase there to date was because of one of this shop's niches. Lou oftentimes deals in police trade ins...as many as some and typically more than most. What you're looking for with these are the oftentimes found examples of revolvers that can tend to have been carried a lot, but shot comparatively little. I picked up a Smith Model 13 there a couple of years ago. Had a good bit of honest holster and the associated cosmetic wear, but was internally tight as a drum. It is one of the least expensive revolvers I own, but it's tight, dead nuts accurate, and with an outstanding trigger. I've put many times more rounds through this revolver in the last 2 years than it saw in the previous 40.

Good luck! What you're looking for is most definitely out there, and most definitely attainable on your stated budget.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    I had hoped putting this in the depot forum i'd get IP's that had revolvers in stock. I'm going to try and stop in at 2a tomorrow to see what they have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom