• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    Just call the Metro firearms registration division at 202 727 4275. They really are friendly and go out of their way to be helpful. When I had a question as to if my CCP's expiration date was extended until after the covid emergency was over, the LT confirmed that and gave me the link to the mayor's instruction. (BTW, yes, CCP's will not expire until 45 days after the emergency is declared early). I don't remember having to submit a copy of my Utah or Florida permit for my initial CCP application, But I do know that I didn't for my renewal.
    AS to your firearm registration, it's free for the first two if you register them when you apply for your carry permit. They do not have to be renewed.
    Renewal requires 1/2 the classroom instruction (4 hours), and 2 hours range time.
    I am not a DC resident or business owner.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    Just call the Metro firearms registration division at 202 727 4275. They really are friendly and go out of their way to be helpful. When I had a question as to if my CCP's expiration date was extended until after the covid emergency was over, the LT confirmed that and gave me the link to the mayor's instruction. (BTW, yes, CCP's will not expire until 45 days after the emergency is declared early). I don't remember having to submit a copy of my Utah or Florida permit for my initial CCP application, But I do know that I didn't for my renewal.
    AS to your firearm registration, it's free for the first two if you register them when you apply for your carry permit. They do not have to be renewed.
    Renewal requires 1/2 the classroom instruction (4 hours), and 2 hours range time.

so your the proof the nay sayers need to know they were wrong?

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    They did not choose to appeal, correct, but they still have a stipulation for non residents. If you have another states's permit then they are effectively Shall Issue. Not unlike PA which is Shall Issue for residents but if you are a NR you have to have your home state permit. PA could reasonably be called May Issue for non residents.

You were wrong the first time you posted this nonsense, and you're still wrong...

Just stop it already...

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD

p.s. thank you for chiming in, I wanted to make sure my money for the training would be well spent, whenever I opt in for it.

Pray for snow, my extra snow money is going into some firearms CCW training this year.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    so your the proof the nay sayers need to know they were wrong?

Not saying which side is true or not because I truly don't know and don't have a horse in the race since I am a DC resident, but someone saying they don't remember showing proof of there other ccw license doesn't sound like concrete proof to me. A simple call to DC and the specific question could have eliminated all this back and forth.

PS A quick google search and a link from the Arsenal Attorneys says " If you are not a DC resident, you must provide proof of the issuance of a carry permit from another jurisdiction. It need not be your home state."

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    You are right that it doesn't say a NO answer to Question 20 will prohibit you., but do you really think if you answer NO to Questions 18, 19, and 20, that you will get a permit?

I don't.

If you answer no to any of those questions you will get a permit because that is the law.

The statute says:
    2332.1 A person is eligible (other stuff omitted)
    if the person:

Has a bona fide residence or place of business:

(1)Within the District of Columbia;
    (2)Within the United States and a license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by the lawful authorities of any State or subdivision of the United States;
    OR
    (3)Within the United States and meets all registration and licensing requirements pursuant to the Act

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Where is the the FUD that a non resident needs a permit in their state or anywhere to get a DC CCPL even coming from??
    No such requirement is in the code, no such requirement is in the application, no such requirement is voiced by MPD when you make you application, and PLENTY pf people from Maryland with no Maryland carry permit get DC CCPLs.

Yes, for non dc residents who are residents of the United States.

It's coming from people spewing bad information who lack the ability to read and comprehend English (Hi Stoveman!)

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Just call the Metro firearms registration division at 202 727 4275. They really are friendly and go out of their way to be helpful.

The people on the phone are always friendly and helpful (which I have always said.) However, they do not always give out the correct information about the process.

I have had people in person directly contradict what I was told over the phone the previous day.

However, in this case, you are correct.
    Besides other research, I did call the office and spoke to a very nice lady.

I asked her about a non-resident needing a permit in order to get a DC permit. She laughed and said "why would they need one from somewhere else? I've never asked anyone for one in all the years that I've been doing this." Not an exact quote but close enough.

And for the nay-sayers, don't worry there's more proof coming than just a phone call.

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Not saying which side is true or not because I truly don't know and don't have a horse in the race since I am a DC resident, but someone saying they don't remember showing proof of there other ccw license doesn't sound like concrete proof to me. A simple call to DC and the specific question could have eliminated all this back and forth.

PS A quick google search and a link from the Arsenal Attorneys says " If you are not a DC resident, you must provide proof of the issuance of a carry permit from another jurisdiction. It need not be your home state."

There really isn't two sides to this issue.

There is only one truth and that truth is:
    Non-residents do not need to have a carry permit from anywhere else in order to apply for a DC carry permit.

As for Arsenal Attorneys, well maybe you missed my previous comments about them and Mr. Lyon but let's just say -- even the best attorneys are not correct in their interpretation of the law 100% of the time.

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD

Kanly already did that legwork before I even had a chance to research more. We PM'd about how we were both relatively sure a NR Permit was shall issue in DC.

the next time I have a spare 300$ burning a hole in my pocket, I think I will get a DC CCW.

The next step would be to choose between a Glock 43 or a Springfield hellcat, and source some 10 round mags for the hellcat as a carry gun.

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Kanly already did that legwork ..."

Thanks JoeyBimmer! There was just a little bit of legwork involved.

Here's the DC part:

9/8/2020: Email sent to my favorite DC Lt. -- the one in charge of firearms registration.

9/9/2020: Quickest response ever from Lt. Unfortunately he did not answer the question asked -- which happens occasionally.

I reworded the question and sent it back to him. And perhaps was too verbose both in the question asked and in the logical analysis of the statute.

9/11: Still no response from Lt. Sent a followup email, omitted all discussion of the statutes and requirements and simply asked:

"non-dc residents do not need to have a ccw permit from somewhere else before applying for a DC permit?"

11 minutes (!) later I get his response (the quickest ever response I have ever gotten from him):

"correct"

So there you have it -- no doubts about it. No two sides either.

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Regarding George Lyon and Arsenal Attorneys:

I saw on their website the permit requirement, so I emailed him 9/10 quoting the statute and asked where he did he see the permit being required. I also let him know I had asked the same question of the Lt.

Mr. Lyon got back to me in 90 minutes.

His entire response: "It has been my understanding that a non-resident needed a carry permit from another jurisdiction. It does not have to be from your home jurisdiction. I would be interested in exactly what Lt. said."

So I’m not a lawyer but I still thought he was wrong – just like a lot of other people. But we would see what Lt. says.

9/11: Get the response from Lt. Email Mr. Lyon entire exchange with the Lt. so he can see both my exact question and the exact answer from Lt.

Mr. Lyon responded in 30 minutes:
    “Great. I will amend my legal discussion accordingly.”

So, just like I stated in my first post in this thread:

Non-DC residents do not need a carry permit from somewhere else before applying for a DC carry permit.

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    I don't think that's true for DC.

Yes, it actually is true.

So you think that they just want to see it because they like playing Show and Tell with you? Okay sure, let's go with that instead of because it's actually in the statute. :lol2:

Your first post was correct.

Without posting anything to the contrary other than your words you offer no foundation for your position other than the "or" in the statute. So what does that "or" mean? We can already ascertain from the rest of the statute that you must live or have a business in DC or have a permit from another jurisdiction (does not say your own) and then why do you think that they put the other "or" in there? Surplus of letters? Or does it describe how residents who live in states that don't issue permits (think Vermont) obtain the ability to carry a concealed pistol in DC?

Stoveman ah such fun times in this thread. You were right when you said I was correct -- you just couldn't see it.

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    "...Let's go check in on George Lyon who writes here:

https://www.arsenalattorneys.com/fi...lication-procedures-and-training-requirements

Now if you want to continue to argue with George you are arguing with someone who was partly responsible for why DC is Shall Issue but you do you.

I told you George was going to make an appearance and that it wasn't going to go the way you thought. :( :lol:

Like I said before, I will continue to do "you do you."

That is the only correct piece of advice you have offered in this entire thread. Hopefully your other 18,000 posts are not as useless as every single post of yours in this thread.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013

Why is your being a resident of DC or not relevant? The people saying you have to have another carry license are effectively arguing you do as well if you are a DC resident because the question don't change.

Look, plenty of us know non residents without other licenses that have gotten the DC license.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    Why is your being a resident of DC or not relevant? The people saying you have to have another carry license are effectively arguing you do as well if you are a DC resident because the question don't change.

Look, plenty of us know non residents without other licenses that have gotten the DC license.

I am a DC resident so I can't say when I went to get mine I did or did not need a permit from another state. Does that explain it enough for you?

Sage954

Oct 8, 2019
    I’m filling out a 219 to register a carry gun. I’m a md resident, and gun is registered to me already, but not in dc. Anyone know the difference between serial number(which I know) and manufacturer ID number(no clue on this one). The form asks for both.
    Thanks for the help. Sorry if this is the wrong thread.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I am a DC resident so I can't say when I went to get mine I did or did not need a permit from another state. Does that explain it enough for you?

Oh I don't need an explanation. was just pointing out that stoveman is claiming from his misreading you would also need a permit in another state to have gotten your DC permit

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom