• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    Could someone provide the rules with regard to firing a handgun/rifle on your personal property. Specifically how far away do you have to be from an occupied structure, such as a neighbor in rural Washington County, MD?

Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County
    As previously stated, 150 yards is a hunting regulation. I have been unable to find anything specific to target shooting. I have spoken to DNR who said it is not their concern if I’m not hunting, and my county (Cecil) sheriff’s office who told me that my question should go to DNR. Clear as mud. 150 yards would be the best bet to err on the side of caution. Obviously a suitable backstop is a requirement. If you have unpleasant neighbors, they could cause you a hassle even at 150+ yards. I’ve read many anecdotes about officers coming out, deeming everything safe, and leaving with no fuss. I’ve read a few where the officer is less friendly. I have not found any examples of someone being charged. I suspect it comes down to general attitude of the responding department & officers as well as your attitude when they arrive.

cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    I thought it might be 150 yards possibly as it seems the basic standard around the state.

Grampa G

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2010
    Washington Co.
    My neighbor’s house is about 60 yards from where I shoot. Had an sheriff deputy visit one time due to a safety complaint and after looking around he said we were GTO and he’d inform central to ignore further calls. That day we were out in the yard using handguns and the neighboring house is located to our 7 o’clock

From the back porch a target backstop is 50 yrds out but a block garage deflects some of the sound away from they.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom