• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I guess cleaning means different things to different people. I don’t mind but I try not to stress over it.

For any modern semi auto pistol or rifle, for me it’s a wipe down and lube. Basically a shotgun sized patch with a little CLP to wipe the rails and other surfaces on a handgun for example. Maybe a nylon toothbrush at times around the extractor. Then lube. I have used a patchworm for years and pull a patch with CLP through the barrel and then a dry one. No rod or brush for the barrel.

For a revolver, I use a brass chamber brush chucked in a drill at low speed if after shooting say .38 special out of a .357. Maybe a little more nylon brushing around various parts. I’ll pull a Lewis lead remover through the barrel every now and then when I think it’s needed.

The only guns I’m a little more meticulous about are the blued steel and walnut ones. And that just means making sure to lube/protect the finish.

I highly recommend people at least try Wipe-Out on their bore if you really think it needs cleaning. Between a patch pulled through with CLP for regular maintenance and Wipe-Out on a crusty or copper fowled bore, I can’t even remember the last time I used a rod and brush in a bore. A leaded revolver barrel aside. Oh and also on shotgun barrels.
    Shotgun bores and my ML are the only ones that get a hard scrubbing periodically. The former from plastic wads and the latter from plastic sabots.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I never clean my guns,,
    Because I live in Calvert, there is no ranges down here. So I never really shoot.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Shot a few guns, then my carry gun. One shot and it jammed. Gun? I think it was a dirty magazine.

I learned to just accept cleaning, but it does factor in my going to the range...

and - I - clean -every - mag.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Sometimes Ill push a greasy patch down the bore before leaving the range.
    That way once I get back to the bench its just a patch or two down the bore to get all the brass and bullet fouling out of it real easy/quick.
    If you have a tin of that grease that came with those Swiss rifles it works like a champ.
    Otherwise Ill use wheel bearing grease.
    I think its easier to do light maintenance than have to clean the hell out of a bore or a system from trying to do it all at one time.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Clean your guns or buy replacements your option.

If you don't like doing that part, pay someone to do it for you.

Sound like your doing it wrong, cleaning my guns tops off the enjoyment I get from shooting them.

Last edited:

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    My guns just get sprayed down with clp, bore snaked, and wiped down every 2-3 range trips. Bcg's and bolts get greased. I seldom do a deep clean unless it isn't going to be shot for a while. Moderation is key, knowing that carbon is abrasive.

Some guns get more attention to clean than others, depending how dirty they shoot. My 300 blk upper range burner bcg always looks like this after 2-3 range trips.

1686843262998.png

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Honest question, not being sarcastic. Have you had Wipe-Out remove bluing? I ask be cause I was always worried about that but the last two blued guns I used it on seemed to be fine. I only let it sit for maybe 30min and did three rounds of that with the accelerator. I didn’t want to leave it on overnight.

I did also wipe down the outside of the guns with CLP before coating the bore.

This was on a Winchester 94 and a post Hillary hole S&W revolver.
    Yes, I've used Wipe Out on a rifle (.303 Enfield) and the bottom of the muzzle end (where it dripped out) sustained damage to the bluing. Since that incident, I now plug the muzzle end and the breech while letting the Wipe Out do its work.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    I clean my firearm(s) and training magazines after every range trip. I also rotate the carry ammunition I use into different carry magazines so that I'm not always seating the same round/magazine when I carry.

Hoppe's No. 9 Bore Cleaner and Hoppe's Lubricating Oil for my 9mm(s). I use/travel with the small bottles and refill from large ones when I need to.

As others have said, I find it relaxing.... Of course that could be the Hoppe's fumes doing that. I wear latex gloves and do it in a well ventilated area, but I still wind up smelling like it no matter what.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Yes, I've used Wipe Out on a rifle (.303 Enfield) and the bottom of the muzzle end (where it dripped out) sustained damage to the bluing. Since that incident, I now plug the muzzle end and the breech while letting the Wipe Out do its work.

Thanks for that info. I just so happens to have a new to me enfield that needs a light cleaning. Maybe it’s the paint or whatever they use. Mine is a post war version. It doesn’t really need wipeout for now. Just a patch with CLP.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    You don't have your gun bearer take care of your firearms after shooting?

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I clean the same after one shot than after 100 rounds. After each time I shoot, field strip, soak barrel in Hoppes, toothbrush the frame to get it clean, return to barrel with nylon or brass brush, scrub and then spray with Gun Scrubber, when patch pushes through white I am done.

I hate it, sometimes I don't shoot because I would have to clean. I have found if I take a cleaning kit to the range and clean immediately after the shooting session the carbon and powder residue comes out much easier.

This is what my dad taught me, this is what I do, this is what I teach. But what do I know......

TD

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I clean the same after one shot than after 100 rounds. After each time I shoot, field strip, soak barrel in Hoppes, toothbrush the frame to get it clean, return to barrel with nylon or brass brush, scrub and then spray with Gun Scrubber, when patch pushes through white I am done.

I hate it, sometimes I don't shoot because I would have to clean. I have found if I take a cleaning kit to the range and clean immediately after the shooting session the carbon and powder residue comes out much easier.

This is what my dad taught me, this is what I do, this is what I teach. But what do I know......

TD
    Sorry, but that's crazy.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

TD
    To be frank, you know an obsessive cleaning process that likely causes additional wear and uses up a lot of your time as well as the extra expense of the cleaning products. To each their own. There is a lot of data out there that cleaning before accuracy has started to reduce or a reliability issue crops up does wear the bore out faster. For guns that take a lot to take down, it’s extra wear on things that might break or get boggered. For others, well no concerns over wearing out a pistol bore cleaning or shooting it. But unless you are shooting corrosive stuff, you aren’t doing anything to make it last longer or improve accuracy by extremely frequent cleaning. For sure, if your life depends on that gun, keep it clean and clean it whenever it gets dirty. I’d rather spend the time and some extra wear cleaning a carry gun after shooting it. Or an HD gun.

But for range use. Hunting. Match. Collecting. You are just wearing it out faster and maybe aiding in reliability by .1% (over what is likely already extremely reliable) cleaning every single time you’ve shot the gun than by cleaning it when either an issue presents, or ~once a year/every many hundreds of rounds.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

TD
    Agree with the clown. That’s crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom