• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Have what I think is a pretty small job to do on my truck. I want to wrap the grille and upper bumper in white vinyl, as I've tried to show in my less than awesome mspaint work below, lol.

The truck (hood & grille) was recently damaged on the passenger side front corner. That has been professionally repaired, and rather than buy a new grille and paint it white, and paint a new, or the existing bumper, I'd like to get it vinyl wrapped. That way if I do not like it, I can peel it off and that's the end of it.

I will remove the grille and emblem to make it easier to do the bumper.

The closer to White Marsh area, the better.

Attachments

• truck wrap.jpg
      truck wrap.jpg
      126.8 KB · Views: 328

kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Contact the closest chapter of the Experimental Aircraft Association. Several of their home builders use that instead of paint. They could show you how to do it or may be willing to do it.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Contact the closest chapter of the Experimental Aircraft Association. Several of their home builders use that instead of paint. They could show you how to do it or may be willing to do it.

I have no desire to do it myself. Thanks for the suggestion though. Looks like closest one is Annapolis. I'm hoping to find a place close-by, since it'll probably be a "drop it off" and come back when it's done, thing.

Can bumper come off too? May look into hydro dipping too? Good luck bump.

It can, but that's quite a bit more involved than I really want to be, for something I may not even want, after it's done. That's why I was specifically looking for a vinyl wrap shop/person. If it doesn't look like I think/hope it will, I can simply pull it off and chalk it up as a loss.

I've talked to 3 different installers, at 3 different shops, and I guess the dollar to vinyl ratio isn't high enough for any of them, because none have gotten back to me with any sort of price. :sad20:

My original idea was to buy a new, aftermarket black grille (they come chrome or black only), and paint it, and not worry about the bumper part. My son suggested the wrap, which I agreed was an excellent idea, but I'm not having much luck with that route...

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    I have no desire to do it myself. Thanks for the suggestion though. Looks like closest one is Annapolis. I'm hoping to find a place close-by, since it'll probably be a "drop it off" and come back when it's done, thing.

It can, but that's quite a bit more involved than I really want to be, for something I may not even want, after it's done. That's why I was specifically looking for a vinyl wrap shop/person. If it doesn't look like I think/hope it will, I can simply pull it off and chalk it up as a loss.

I've talked to 3 different installers, at 3 different shops, and I guess the dollar to vinyl ratio isn't high enough for any of them, because none have gotten back to me with any sort of price. :sad20:

My original idea was to buy a new, aftermarket black grille (they come chrome or black only), and paint it, and not worry about the bumper part. My son suggested the wrap, which I agreed was an excellent idea, but I'm not having much luck with that route...

If you just want to give it a go.. applying vinyl wouldn't be too bad for that bumper.. give yourself a few YouTube video lessons...and vinyl ain't much from ebay..

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    If you just want to give it a go.. applying vinyl wouldn't be too bad for that bumper.. give yourself a few YouTube video lessons...and vinyl ain't much from ebay..

Yeah, I think the bumper part would be do-able, but the grille...not so much, lol.

I've been "casually" looking for a used grille...maybe I will give it a shot.

euler357

Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Odenton, Marylandistan
    ATO autosports in Parkville did good at putting vinyl on my truck. They did matte black on the hood and a part of the tailgate (stripe to cover repair instead of painting)

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Should be able to find a grille at LKQ (formerly Crazy Ray's ) or Keystone.

No luck at all with LKQ.
    Keystone's website won't allow a SEARCH for some reason. :o

ATO autosports in Parkville did good at putting vinyl on my truck. They did matte black on the hood and a part of the tailgate (stripe to cover repair instead of painting)

Dipping (aka plastidip) is another option that's removable.

Hmmm, didn't even think about Plasti-Dipping...
    I may stop by ATO today. Their other location is just up the road from where I work. Thanks.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    There is a shop up on York Rd in Monkton, don't recall the name, but it's right by Monkton Rd and York. They do vehicle vinyl wrapping. I'll try to get a pic in the next day or two of the name... it escapes me and I just drove by it this afternoon on the way back from the shop. :rolleyes:

Edit... a little google and I found it.. https://www.wildwrapz.com/vinyl-wrap

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom