• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    After reading through this thread I've concluded I'm cleaning my guns way too much. I tend to clean guns after about putting 100 rounds through them. I find pistols pretty fast to clean though. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but I bought a carbon rod from tipton and a brass tip for cleaning my AR15, and I have so much trouble getting the rod through with pads that are meant for it. I end up starting by pushing the barrel down on the rod and then moving the barrel so it's perpendicular to the floor along with the rod, then pushing the rod through, because otherwise the pad usually slips off of the brass tip (even if the cloth pad is penetrated). I must be doing something wrong. I get lazy cleaning my mossberg 500 though but I also don't really put many rounds through it.

Way too often. Put them on a schedule. That schedule really depends on what type of ammo you use and conditions. I use Tula in my ARs and they get dirty but I don't see a change in ejection pattern and accuracy issues until around 2500 rounds. I manage cleaning based on that. The only time I deviate from that is in unusual circumstances. Wet weather, damp environments, etc.

The most I do in between is a wipedown and lube.

gem357

MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2013
    SoHoCo
    I use it as a chance to look at the firearm in detail and see if I can figure out what the various parts do. And if I don't get around to cleaning it before the next range trip, I don't beat myself up. I rarely go so far as to take a revolver or rifle bolt completely apart.

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    I used to think that, my problem was not having a good place to use to clean them. I solved this by putting a work bench in my garage and having everything I needed in the same location. I used to have to clean a spot in the basement and carry the guns down the stairs. Now I can do everything on one floor and not have to make trips up and down the stairs.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Ya I’m thinking I clean mine to much .shot last night and it’s killing me not to break it down and clean it . Curios from some of the older military guys here , was it not drilled into you clean your weapon , clean weapons function? I’m torn , definitely don’t want to damage them . But I’m lucky if I shoot once a week anymore for various reasons and it’s usually a different gun . Although I do shoot my 226 most the time when I go . Pretty proficient with it . I also run my stuff a little on the wet side . I love nickleboron. I would assume everyone agrees barrel clean and silicone wipe at a minimum? Far from a rookie but not a professional I’ve been shooting a long time and have always cleaned my stuff religiously and never have had a failure or an issue that I’m aware of from cleaning . Just saying , always learning.

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    So you guys are saying that a clean after every use is too much? Hmmmm...never really thought of that.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Ya I’m thinking I clean mine to much .shot last night and it’s killing me not to break it down and clean it . Curios from some of the older military guys here , was it not drilled into you clean your weapon , clean weapons function? I’m torn , definitely don’t want to damage them . But I’m lucky if I shoot once a week anymore for various reasons and it’s usually a different gun . Although I do shoot my 226 most the time when I go . Pretty proficient with it . I also run my stuff a little on the wet side . I love nickleboron. I would assume everyone agrees barrel clean and silicone wipe at a minimum? Far from a rookie but not a professional I’ve been shooting a long time and have always cleaned my stuff religiously and never have had a failure or an issue that I’m aware of from cleaning . Just saying , always learning.

Have you ever had a failure or issue as a result of not cleaning your guns? NiB is a whole separate issue.

Also, unless you're using corrosive ammo, you shouldn't be cleaning your barrel every time. Quick wipedown to avoid corrosion makes all the sense in the world.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    No can’t say I have . Throw this one out to ya , what if shooting lead ? I’m just asking .would that constitute a barrel swab and scrub ? Guess been doing it for so long just don’t seem right not to . Everyone has me thinking.like I said definitely don’t want to damage them from over cleaning

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    I don't even clean my comp guns for IDPA(G 34) but every 500 to 1000 rounds and even then I use an ultra sonic cleaner from harbor freight with distilled water and horiday one shot. just put the slide, spring and slide in for 10 minutes, wipe off, and lubricate. Even my ar's get the treatment. Have a 2.5 liter cleaner from HF and a 7 l for the ar from horiday.

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    ...trouble getting the rod through with pads that are meant for it. I end up starting by pushing the barrel down on the rod and then moving the barrel so it's perpendicular to the floor along with the rod, then pushing the rod through, because otherwise the pad usually slips off of the brass tip (even if the cloth pad is penetrated)....

I found the .22 cotton patches were too thick to use with a push jag. I found that Kleenbore micro fiber was thin enough to push. It will stay on through the chamber rod guide for the AR. A loop jag will work with the cotton patches. I haven't used the Otis AR15 cleaning kit..

paperwork351

Trauma915

Oct 4, 2019
    Prior military training makes me very itchy if I dont clean them immediately..... also quirky about my lawn!

urbantchr

Jun 22, 2021
    I used to hate cleaning my guns, especially after my time as am infantryman. Then someone suggested that as much as I love my guns I should enjoy just handling them as well as the process of cleaning. this changed my attitude so I really almost enjoy it now

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Curios from some of the older military guys here , was it not drilled into you clean your weapon , clean weapons function? I’m torn , definitely don’t want to damage them .

A couple of reasons for the military way.

1) A lot goes back to the days of corrosive ammo and even further back to black powder. Then you need to clean after every time you shot it or the bore would rust.

2) In basic training, it is to foster a bond between you and your rifle.

And finally, if you wear out the bore or break parts cleaning, in the military, you take it to the armory and they fix it FOR FREE. :D

Things are different when YOU pay the bill.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Yes , definitely have a bond with them .They all have names . And yes that did cross my mind about them replacing for free. Some things are hard to turn off . I agree with you completely.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Almost every time I drew my weapons from the arms room, it was to go to the field to train, alerts, actual deployments, or the range. For the many prolonged periods that we kept them, we would always be in some type of inclement weather, dirty/muddy conditions. They would have to be broken down and cleaned upon return.

So not only were you required to break them down and clean them after a trip to the range, you really had to do it out of necessity due to less than favorable environmental conditions.

This is a natural state of readiness for weaponry. Not sure why is causes heartache for civilians.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Most civilians do not go out in the rain and inclement conditions. But those that do, do need to do some cleaning at the end of the day.

As has been stated many times here, for a normal range trip there is NO REASON to clean after every range trip.

The military does so, but if you wear out your throat or muzzle with excessive cleaning, there is no cost to you for repair. Not so with civilians.

Do what you want to do, but I have had firearms go many thousands of rounds without cleaning. And I have had them stored for more than 15 years without cleaning. And without issues.

The one cleaning that IS REQUIRED, is a wipe down of exterior surfaces to prevent fingerprint rust on most firearms (plastic ones or painted/baked finishes no so much).

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Riddle me this:

How do you/could you lubricate a dirty bolt/BCG? You're adding lubrication on to powder fouled/carbon fouled metals; destroying the very essence and reasoning for lubricating those components.

If you're cleaning a bore from the breach end and know what you're doing, you're not going to damage the rifle's crown or bore.

For god's sake man, at least swab the bore a couple of times and scrub/wipe down the bolt/bolt face/BCG. It's so quick to do and gives you a chance to eyeball everything before you put it away. :)

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Almost every time I drew my weapons from the arms room, it was to go to the field to train, alerts, actual deployments, or the range. For the many prolonged periods that we kept them, we would always be in some type of inclement weather, dirty/muddy conditions. They would have to be broken down and cleaned upon return.

So not only were you required to break them down and clean them after a trip to the range, you really had to do it out of necessity due to less than favorable environmental conditions.

This is a natural state of readiness for weaponry. Not sure why is causes heartache for civilians.

You're comparing apples and oranges in your own post and don't even recognize how dumb it sounds.

I shot 80 rounds through one of my rifles this weekend. Sighted it in and tested various ammo...it runs like a top and the barrel is properly fouled. You propose I break it down and clean it again? Makes zero sense. I brought it home, wiped it down with Barricade and put it away. It's fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom