• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Has english but not london hallmarks. Percussion. Short butt stock. Brass barrel?

Attachments

• 0F9FEC4D-2871-4F18-B7C9-9887559E258C.jpg
      0F9FEC4D-2871-4F18-B7C9-9887559E258C.jpg
      43.9 KB · Views: 476
    Last edited:

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Blunderbuss-style. Probably modern. Appears to be homemade or novelty-grade replica. Maybe a kit gun. Barrel looks like old brass-plated cast metal.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The next question is are you going to shoot it? Are you competent to judge it's safety or have you seen folks that are?

I've only seen one replica go boom but it's worth checking out first.

If the barrel is cast, that thing is more of a bomb than a gun. I assume he doesn't want to be a nominee for a Darwin Award.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    No intention of shooting it. Won’t shoot even if i was inclined. I think its early 19th cen however. When i got it i ran down proof marks and got to an english city and that was it. Don’t know if the butt was shortened. Or anything else about this, except its a blunderbus. The stock is a mess and he action does not work. Just a curio, wall hanger. But i thought someone here might recognize it.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Looks like an interesting puzzle looking forward to pictures. Even though the majority of blunderbuss' that you see are flintlocks this one seems to fit bill. A back action lock probably became most popular about in the mid 19th century.

Some claimed they weakened the stock especially in a shot gun but others were of the thought they strengthened the same because of more support in the wrist. This could be the case in this example. The club type buttstock is reminiscent back to Brown Bess Indian trade style of arm and the pattern sort of predates the lock pattern so the two different periods for one of the the three main components are some years apart.

I don't think anyone repurposed parts from a BB to make this because of the lack of in-letting for a Tower or Grice lock.
    What they may have done was purpose built something for a need and then just worked from examples that were known or had been seen from the time.

If it was English or European made you should see some proof marks on the barrel somewhere, then you would have a strong indication of a date for that part. Same with the lock, you may spot a makers mark on the reverse of the plate.

The screws on the lock will give you an idea if they were handmade and the tool marks in the in-letting will do the same while providing an indication if machine tools were used or if everything was scutched out by hand. Most blunderbuss' were very finely made and should be signed, this example reminds me of something frontier made or an example pieced together by an enthusiast some time ago.

I have some text around somewhere where a person fashioned a blunderbuss that came out pretty well in the early to mid fifties. I think as far as loading, blunderbuss were carefully loaded to avoid harmonics which could damage the barrel, the English knew all about it and the info is written somewhere and the phenomena well known,not that I would be interested in firing the one you have unless it was tightened up a little bit. Firing proofs would be the tell all in that respect.

Empty 22 brass and tightly wadded tissue paper would be the proji I would consider if I ever got around to fooling with one.
    Hope you come up with some additional clues for origin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom