• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sead0nkey

Señor member
    Jul 25, 2008
    AA
    If all I want is to put a young family of 4 on the south river (Hillsmere) Hit mikes, ego ally (on a very calm day.) I have no wish to cross the bay...this is a south river + ( special occasion downtown perfect weather trip) Would a 80's BW 15' sport fit my bill?

fishing
    crabing
    tubing
    joy riding

I'm currently in a hobie revo 13. Looking for a cheap way to get the family out there with me. 95% of the time would be in the river or towed.

DC45

Mar 8, 2018
    DC
    I like the 15’s with the side console if it’s just me and one other person. They’re fun for a little zipping around, but you can’t stand up and move around at all. Add a cooler and some stuff, and space gets tight.

A center console 17’ offers a lot more in the way of room, I think.

Mike H

Jan 9, 2013
    4 people on a BW 15 will be a pretty tight fit. You could probably do everything you mentioned on most days -- the biggest issue I'd have is the 15 is a low freeboard boat, with a pretty flat bottom and you ride sitting down. If there is any kind of wind and resulting waves, or even the wakes from bigger boats, you will be uncomfortable. I've done a couple of sea trials on boats at Hillsmere and last year drove a 22 bow rider when the wind coming out of the south and there were legit 2+ foot waves just getting to the river. No way you would be doing that comfortably in a BW 15 - the waves are just too close together. I've been boating on the South River for about 25 years (our community marina is on the creek to the left just before you get to Mike's) and since retiring from the govt I've been selling boats for the past few years. You really want a 17 or so center console with more of a conventional V hull than a BW 15.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    If all I want is to put a young family of 4 on the south river (Hillsmere) Hit mikes, ego ally (on a very calm day.) I have no wish to cross the bay...this is a south river + ( special occasion downtown perfect weather trip) Would a 80's BW 15' sport fit my bill?

fishing
    crabing
    tubing
    joy riding

I'm currently in a hobie revo 13. Looking for a cheap way to get the family out there with me. 95% of the time would be in the river or towed.

IF it is CALM you should be okay. Growing up I had a 14' runabout similar to a BW. On some days the waves could be challenging. One day in particular I, my father, my friend and my friends father were on the Severn near Manresa and a larger vessel was going upriver and he was poorly trimmed (I've seen farmers plowing their fields that didn't put up as high a furrow!). His 'WAKE' was over 8 feet tall. No matter how I attempted to attach it I was going to be drenched. In the trough the wave was over our heads (standing) and the peak we just buried our bow and threw the water over our heads. Everyone was okay, but a broken seat later I rarely went out much.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Nope

too small for four and any gear.
    17-18 would make you all a lot happier and safer. taller gunnels also. A semi-v would be better than flat.
    Shop used and don't be in a hurry and you will find a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom