Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old January 9th, 2020, 02:36 PM #1

What can I do to help 2A in Maryland?

I have been a gun owner for over 20 years (amazingly I have never committed a single crime as a result)

I am a firm supporter of the US Constitution and especially the 2nd Amendment

What can I do that is actually helpful to support gun rights in Maryland? All I want to be able to do it have fun shooting safely at a range and be able to protect my family from ever increasing dangers.

I already call and email my representatives Everytime they are about to trample everything I hold dear in the Constitution but judging by the follow up letters they mail me telling me how they know more than I do I gather that they don't care.

What is actually effective help I can offer as a normal citizen?
Skipjacks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2020, 02:43 PM #2
2013'er

2013'er

1. Vote
2. Educate voters
Old January 9th, 2020, 02:54 PM #3
Recovering Lurker

Recovering Lurker

Become a member of MSI, and put a few dollars where the fight actually is (and will continue to be, for Maryland): the courts. If you've got some more to spread around, make sure the NRA-PVF and NRA-ILA have a little more to work with, even you don't want to be part of the association or its other activities. Same with the SAF.

Most importantly: it cannot be understated how vital it is that the next couple rounds of SCOTUS nominees come from someone who won't put anti-Bill-of-Rights counter-constitutionalists in those seats. There is no candidate from the left that we dare allow with that power. Warts and all, that is the reason to also add a pizza's worth of money to Trump's campaign operation. Likewise any and all senate races that look dodgy - we MUST continue to retain the senate so those judicial nominations will continue to go through.

As Marylanders, it's tempting to look inward here and focus on local political races. We're lost, here. We will only continue to lose local legislative power to the well-funded hard lefties from MoCo, HoCo, and the like. We should push back on principle, but we can't kid ourselves about turning this state red. Ain't gonna happen. It's all about the courts (and who sits in them, and thus who names those people), and it's all about 2A-friendly entities having the funds to find people with standing to challenge the nonsense we've been saddled with, and which will continue to happen (see Virginia).

Lastly: one at a time, with deliberate care and gentle social skills, take a noobie shooting. And then another one. And another one. And another one.
Occam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2020, 02:59 PM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySanMan View Post
1. Vote
2. Educate voters
^^^
|||| This first and foremost!!! fred55
Old January 9th, 2020, 03:06 PM #5
Crank in the Third Row

Crank in the Third Row

I'll second joining MSI. And regarding educating voters and legislators (often the latter is communicating with the dead, I grant you), MSI provides many opportunities to do that as well, and even provides great materials to help you do that.

Dark to Light; sheep no more. WWG1WGA WWNC
#MorePatriotsThanHandcuffs
BeoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2020, 03:14 PM #6

MSI setting up at gun shows is kinda like preaching to the choir. I'm sure it gains some new members but what about other places? I don't hardly go to any shows and maybe they already do but what about outdoor or hunting shows, taxidermists, butchers that cut up deers, etc... Are there flyers available to ask our butchers to set out or hand out with a deer pickup or head mount at taxidermist? I'm thinking walmart wouldn't allow a display at the sporting goods counter.
Virginia has it made. They are trying to get it all done in one session and they got the whole state fired up. We are kinda like the boiled frog who didn't jump out of the pot.
onedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2020, 03:16 PM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam View Post

Lastly: one at a time, with deliberate care and gentle social skills, take a noobie shooting. And then another one. And another one. And another one.
I do this as much as possible. I truly enjoy it

I learned to love training others in marksmanship when I was in the Corps. Everything from 5.56 to 25mm turret mounted cannon. (Very different fundamentals on that thing)

To watch someone who is intimidated by the gun learn how to handle it safely and start hitting targets with accuracy and seeing that confidence build in them....I love to help people find that. Love it!

Fun story...I took my mother for the first time in her 70's. She finally bought a gun because Maryland told her she shouldn't. (Hell of a good reason if I ever heard one)

So I took her to the range. I went over marksmanship fundamentals. We used up 49 rounds out if a box of 50 learning about sight picture and not compensating for recoil...you all know the drill. But I saved the last round for her 'graduation test'. I put one of the standard "bug guy aiming the revolver at you" targets up, put it out at 7 yards, put one round in her revolver and said 'guy is breaking in at 3 am. You have 1 shot. If you miss, bad things happen'

She put that 1 round right between his eyes.

I have never been so proud
Old January 9th, 2020, 03:19 PM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedash View Post
MSI setting up at gun shows is kinda like preaching to the choir. I'm sure it gains some new members but what about other places? I don't hardly go to any shows and maybe they already do but what about outdoor or hunting shows, taxidermists, butchers that cut up deers, etc... Are there flyers available to ask our butchers to set out or hand out with a deer pickup or head mount at taxidermist? I'm thinking walmart wouldn't allow a display at the sporting goods counter.
Virginia has it made. They are trying to get it all done in one session and they got the whole state fired up. We are kinda like the boiled frog who didn't jump out of the pot.
I was at Free State range in White Marsh (during the story I mention above) when I found the MSI brochure

That had me do a web search which is how I found this site.

So I agree...having brochures around outside the gun show is a good idea. MSI at the gun show isn't going to 'save the unsaved' so 5he approach should be different. Don't tell people there about the glory of 2A (because they already know) but tell them what they can do
Old January 9th, 2020, 03:26 PM #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySanMan View Post
1. Vote
2. Educate voters
Besides the basics.

Pretty sure everyone I know is tired of hearing my rants about how losing the 2nd amendment today means you lose the 1st amendment tomorrow (It doesn't stop.me from repeating it though)
Old January 9th, 2020, 04:40 PM #10
TV Personality

TV Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipjacks View Post
Besides the basics.

Pretty sure everyone I know is tired of hearing my rants about how losing the 2nd amendment today means you lose the 1st amendment tomorrow (It doesn't stop.me from repeating it though)
https://www.facebook.com/ThePatriotPicket/

www.patriotpicket.org

Mess with God's hour you get the Sig Sauer - Jack Wilson (probably)
Stoveman is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues