Leaving MD, need advice on selling guns and ammo.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • espejismo

Aug 19, 2015
    I'm planning on moving out of Maryland before the end of 2020, and would like to sell my guns and ammo rather than transporting them across the country. I'm wondering what I can legally sell in MD, and where to sell it. I have:

* Pre-2013 AR-15, magazines (20 round), and ammo.
    * Sig Sauer P239 9mm, 9mm ammo, and a bunch of spent brass.
    * Remington 870 20ga shotgun and around 1000 rounds of 7.5 shot shells.

What can I sell in Maryland or out of state? How would you go about selling this stuff? I've never sold anything gun-related in my life, and Maryland gun laws confuse the hell out of me!

Last edited:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    The AR-15 can only be sold in MD if it's an HBAR.
    The pistol can be sold in MD, must be transferred through an FFL or MSP barracks. Buyer must have their HQL. Seller does not need one.
    The shotgun can be sold face to face to someone who is a MD resident and is not a prohibited person.
    No magazines over 10 rounds may be sold, offered for sale, or transferred within the state of MD.
    Ammo can be sold as well.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    The AR-15 can only be sold in MD if it's an HBAR.
    The pistol can be sold in MD, must be transferred through an FFL or MSP barracks. Buyer must have their HQL. Seller does not need one.
    The shotgun can be sold face to face to someone who is a MD resident and is not a prohibited person.
    No magazines over 10 rounds may be sold, offered for sale, or transferred within the state of MD.
    Ammo can be sold as well.

The rifle can also be sold to a FFL in MD. You can also replace the barrel with a heavy barrel and sell it face to face.

If you think you could end up back in MD, don't sell the AR. It is literally not replaceable

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Give them to me, I’ll “take care of them”. As stated above, better to keep them than wish you would have. If dead set on selling either put in the classifieds or on consignment at your local Gun shop.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    My move to TX was VERY low budget, not by choice.
    HOWEVER
    I managed to bring ALL my guns.Ammo also.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    If you have 3 guns to transport, your big problem is that you don't have 10.

A few FFLS like United and Atlantic have a great consignment business and get sell the AR to someone. But for 3 guns, you are a lot better off keeping them. By the time you replace them you will be out a lot more than transport costs.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    You're worried about moving three guns? :shrug:

If you have 3 guns to transport, your big problem is that you don't have 10.

A few FFLS like United and Atlantic have a great consignment business and get sell the AR to someone. But for 3 guns, you are a lot better off keeping them. By the time you replace them you will be out a lot more than transport costs.

Seriously...the AR and 870 can be broken down and all three fit in a very small foot locker. :shrug:

Unless...they are not allowed at the destination? :tap:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Seriously...the AR and 870 can be broken down and all three fit in a very small foot locker. :shrug:

Unless...they are not allowed at the destination? :tap:

Pretty sure I have a backpack large enough for all three (when broken down). One of those big ones for hiking, but still a backpack.

Seriously, they would certainly fit in one $80 51x12 double rifle Savior case, and the two zippers could be locked with a luggage lock. I haul more to the range :lol2:

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    imuust-here-to-read-the-comments-memes-com-16160971.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads