• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    Not sure if you are saying you like the shorter barrel, or the cylinder on the shorter barrel model. Shorter barrel models are snappy and not always fun or accurate to shoot.

I preferred the better condition of the gun with the shorter barrel. You're correct, I believe I want a 4" to 6" barreled gun. I'll have a better grasp of my real preference after I actually shoot a revolver.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    When you see and feel "it", you know it. Bought a 7.5" Redhawk way back. Perfect, so I thought. Then the 5.5" gun came out, bought it. Sold the 7.5" be ause I stopped shooting it and the 7.5" Super Blackhawk was my long barreled distance/hunter revolver. Perfection so far after 33+ years with that gun.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not sure from the above if Magnumite is liking or disliking upon 7.5in SBH.

But in either case, try a 6.5 Blackhawk , for true perfection of form and balance.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    There is no headspace on a rimmed cartridge revolver. The rim makes contact with the cylinder. If the yoke is wobbly, walk away. That model is pretty common. Keep looking. Why buy something that you know has problems?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What Magnumite said .

And yes , excessive headspace can be a problem in revolvers , leading to case setback, blown primers, and tying up the cylinder from rotating.

And certian brands of inexpensive imported revolvers were/ are notorious for excessive headspace. And revolvers are forgiving enough of minor headspace problems, that ones with major headspace issues have enough room to throw a cat through. ( Cough , Rossi, cough )

Even with cat sized head space, a revolver will generally still go bang repeatedly with standard pressure .38spl . Plus P can be problematical, magnums laughable.

Multiple of my good friends had returned various Rossi revolvers under Warranty. They were told the guns were only warranted to go bang with R-P 158 RNL specifically.

In fairness , after being bought by Taraus, they have supposedly brought the QC Up to Taraus standards, but I had already been permently soured on Rossi revolvers . ( Like their Rifles, Hate their Revolvers.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom