Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Competitive Shooting
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old December 2nd, 2019, 10:08 AM #1
blacksmith

blacksmith

“Tactical” or f class

Heard about a “tactical” class competition that’s like a “run what you brung” kind of long range competition? Similar to f class but a little more attainable for beginners. Looking for more info.
Sam Salvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2019, 10:20 AM #2

Location: Where everyone knows that Epstein Did Not Kill Himself.

Location: Where everyone knows that Epstein Did Not Kill Himself.
"Run what you brung..." sounds like Steve at Quantico.

I don't know what match you are considering, but 'tactical' usually implies field positions (sling use, improvised rests), time constraints (both with taking firing positions, safely moving point to point and with actually getting the shots off), multiple targets, often without being able to adjust your scope, unknown distances, holdovers, occasionally teamwork and spotter drills...

This article might be helpful:
https://www.longrangehunting.com/thr...d-shell.41213/

Regarding F-Class; It doesn't have to be unattainable...equipment can be thousands of dollars worth of specialized gear and high pressure for advanced competitors looking to aggregate scores, OR, it can be a shooting mat, rear bag & bipod on a decent quality .308 with FGMM 175s and good, clean fun for a beginner or less advanced shooter. You don't have to dominate the match to have a good time and learn some valuable stuff.
Stop calling anti-gun politicians “stupid”. They are not. If you simply look at the way they conduct themselves, you can understand why they fear and hate armed citizens and the grave risk citizens present to the increasingly corrupt. The assault on gun owners and the Constitution/BoR has nothing to do with street-level crime and you will not “educate them” your way out of this.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
E.Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2019, 11:27 AM #3

Bridgeville rifle and gun club has a tactical AR and F class. I haven't shot either of these events but I have watched and everyone is helpful and willing to work with newbies. I believe they are listed on their website but if you can't find it or want someone to meet you to get you going just PM me.
NRA certified Training Counselor and Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun,Muzzle loading pistol,rifle,shotgun Personal Protection Inside & Outside the Home,Home Firearm Safety,Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA CCW Instructor
Refuse to be a Victim Instr
NRA Life Benifactor/MSI/SAF
Maryland wear & carry permit & HQLInst / USCCA CCW Instructor
Approved to teach Fl,AZ.VA.DE Utah & DC CCW
Self defense instructor
Glock Armorer
IDPA Safety Officer
kenpo333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2019, 11:30 AM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Shell View Post

Regarding F-Class; It doesn't have to be unattainable...equipment can be thousands of dollars worth of specialized gear and high pressure for advanced competitors looking to aggregate scores, OR, it can be a shooting mat, rear bag & bipod on a decent quality .308 with FGMM 175s and good, clean fun for a beginner or less advanced shooter. You don't have to dominate the match to have a good time and learn some valuable stuff.
Agree with this, Fclass to me is all about having fun. I try to learn something each time i'm out. Example...what does a head wind due to bullet impact? I've been chasing a perfect 600 for about 5 years, but I don't get frustrated when I don't shoot it.

I shoot fclass in Cumberland and at Reade range in PA a decent amount. If you'd like to shoot a match, you're more than welcome to come along and use whatever gear of mine you need to.

I started shooting fclass with a bonestock R700 20" .308 with factory loads. Used a harris bipod, rear bag and factory ammo. Wasn't ideal, but I had a blast!
Speed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2019, 11:34 AM #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpo333 View Post
Bridgeville rifle and gun club has a tactical AR and F class. I haven't shot either of these events but I have watched and everyone is helpful and willing to work with newbies. I believe they are listed on their website but if you can't find it or want someone to meet you to get you going just PM me.
The Bridgeville team(Dave is the only name I remember) shoots at Reade range often, they are a good group of guys and good shooters. I'd bet they'd help a new person out at the blink of an eye.

You really just need a rile, decent scope(20x should be ok), bipod and a rear bag. You don't need a spotting scope or a fancy front rest. A moving blanket or an old comforter works great as a shooting mat.
Speed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2019, 12:42 PM #6

Last time I shot it, F-class was split into two categorizes. F-Open and F-TR. The TR was for 308 and 223 only and from a bi-pod, and you could be pretty competitive with out spending a fortune. F-open was basically Benchrest shooting from the ground, you could spend many thousands of dollars on that.
Racinready300ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2019, 01:58 PM #7

From what you describe as "tactical" that sounds more like Precision Rifle Series (PRS), which I got addicted to when I was out in the Midwest. Timed stages, transitions, games you have to play, etc., that make for what I consider a more holistic, "whole shooter" concept than F class. I built an F class gun in 300WinMag and wound up doing both with it. I no longer do any F class stuff but am shopping for a more affordable gun to shoot PRS with. I have so much fun every time I go to a PRS competition (haven't been to one since I moved to Maryland in June) but you tend to fire 80 to 100 rounds in a day, depending on the lanes and how fast you yourself are. The bolt throw on the 300WM meant I was too slow to get my full 10 rounds in 2 minutes that is the setup for most lanes I was shooting in Kansas or Nebraska.
Surt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2019, 08:48 PM #8
Competition Shooter

Competition Shooter

Peacemaker has PRS matches. Also NRA American Rifle Level 1 and 2. The Devil Dog Club PRS matches count toward the PRS Club series in the Northeast division.

Also the Ft. Meade Counter Sniper Challenge Match is moving to PNTC for 2020. There will be 2 civilian pre-matches so ordinary people can prep for shooting it.
Peacemaker National Training Center

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Sir R.M.Hyslop (attributed to Edmund Burke).
Those willing to give up freedom for security deserve neither.
Benjamin Franklin
photoracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Competitive Shooting