• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    See post #24. Title is for the wrong model S&W.

If I found a gun like this one locally, without any visible defects, would it be worth $450+tax in any of the MDS opinions? I've seen one around and it seemed very smooth and clean, but I know nothing about revolvers and their value. Thanks in advance for your feedback. (yeah, I have the HQL so I can vote, I mean buy handguns)

Please note this photo is not the gun I found locally, but it looks like this one on GB.
    pix831849633.jpg

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/677731083

edited to add that photo above is of different gun, just as an example

Last edited:

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    My model 19 S&W was purchased new in 1962 with 4" Barrel, all options TT, TH, Midnight blue finish for $127 USD! Inflation is a Bitch. But it is a fine Wheel Gun that I still Love it, Smooth and Accurate. You have to watch out they had QC problems for a few of their Transitional Years.You will have to do some research to Id those years. I used to hit Coffee Can lids @ 100Yds when My eyes were Younger.Back then they called them "Combat Magnums" Good Luck Shop Wisely.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    If it looks unscrewed with and minimal wear on surface like your pictures, it is a very good price. If the gun is mint or very nearly so, it is a steal at $450.
    If you are looking for something to shoot a steady diet of 357 Mags, you are likely better off with a 686 or some similar firearm. That said, I wouldn't have given up my blue S&W 19 in 2013 except my daughter talked me out of it pre HQL! (It didn't hurt that I also already had a 686 and a M27 in 357 Mag).
    She shoots mostly 38's from it and loads with 38 +p for defense. She has shot just a few 357 mags just for the feel of it.

For that price, it isn't liely to sit around a long time. The link to the one on GB shows it hasn't hit a reserve yet. Do a lookup on Guns International or GunsAmerica and get ready for your eyeballs to pop out (I think the prices are a bit high and the sellers can sometimes be bargained with, but the asking prices are considerably higher than what you have seen).

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    That is a very good price. You should see what the grips alone sell for! Presuming of course that it has the same grips as the one in the G.B. link.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    It's a very good price, especially in nickel if it's in good shape. Yes, a local find would be the way to go, as being able to look at it would be key with a K frame especially. I absolutely love K frame Smiths! They are great revolvers IMO. But the reduction in frame size and weight from the older N frame .357 when these were introduced came with a price if given a steady diet of full house .357 loads, in terms of potential wear and tear. Figure your -3 example is today between 40 and 50 years old. May be little used? May have been pounded hard? Gotta see it to know.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    If I found a gun like this one locally, without any visible defects, would it be worth $450+tax in any of the MDS opinions? ......

It's a reasonable price. It's a K-frame with the modern equivalent being something like a S&W Model 66. It will be very comfortable to shoot 38 Specials out and much lighter to wear/carry than an L-frame S&W 686.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    If I found a gun like this one locally, without any visible defects, would it be worth $450+tax in any of the MDS opinions? I've seen one around and it seemed very smooth and clean, but I know nothing about revolvers and their value. Thanks in advance for your feedback. (yeah, I have the HQL so I can vote, I mean buy handguns)

pix831849633.jpg

Yeah. Smith K frames are the bestest revolvers IMO. Revolvers suck but K frames suck less.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    It is a terrible price!

Please PM me with the shop ripping you off on this and I will let them have... my Benjamins instead.

Seriously, $450 for a pre-Clinton hole 4" .357 in good condition seems like a steal.

Mike

MDS Supporter
    That is a very good price. You should see what the grips alone sell for! Presuming of course that it has the same grips as the one in the G.B. link.

I'm not knowledgeable about this. It has wood grips and they looked good.

It's a very good price, especially in nickel if it's in good shape. Yes, a local find would be the way to go, as being able to look at it would be key with a K frame especially. I absolutely love K frame Smiths! They are great revolvers IMO. But the reduction in frame size and weight from the older N frame .357 when these were introduced came with a price if given a steady diet of full house .357 loads, in terms of potential wear and tear. Figure your -3 example is today between 40 and 50 years old. May be little used? May have been pounded hard? Gotta see it to know.

Yes it's nickle. I know nothing as to whether its is a K or N frame. I have no idea what any of that means, except maybe the N is heavier?

I looked into the barrel and with my inexpert eyes saw what looked like a clean shiny bore.

To all posters, thanks for the info so far.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Wasn't this model susceptible to damage from extensive hot magnum use? I think it was either flame cutting or a frame crack? Maybe someone could either correct me or tell the OP exactly what to look for. I could be wrong, but it might explain the too good to be true price :shrug:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Wasn't this model susceptible to damage from extensive hot magnum use? I think it was either flame cutting or a frame crack? Maybe someone could either correct me or tell the OP exactly what to look for. I could be wrong, but it might explain the too good to be true price :shrug:

No sir. You're not wrong.

There are 10 photos of this revolver. None of them show the cylinder open.

Two of the first things you want to look for on a revolver is the condition of the forcing cone, and the condition of the top strap. Detailed photos would show that.

Now what does it mean that none of the photos focus on these areas? Well, maybe nothing. Or maybe these areas don't show proud?

Part of the reason for my comments above. Ideally, you have a revolver in hand before you know what you have.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I'm not knowledgeable about this. It has wood grips and they looked good.

Yes it's nickle. I know nothing as to whether its is a K or N frame. I have no idea what any of that means, except maybe the N is heavier?

I looked into the barrel and with my inexpert eyes saw what looked like a clean shiny bore.

To all posters, thanks for the info so far.

The N frame is a large frame revolver. K frame is a medium frame revolver. The N frame is more familiar to folks as being the frame of the .44 Magnum model 29. The N frame .357s were the models 27 and 28.

There were stories of folks experiencing SOME flame cutting in the early K frame .357s. Eventually, S&W would develop the L frame (586/686) series to dispel any qualms about issues. Plenty of people have fired thousands of rounds of .357 magnum in K frame revolvers with no issues. Some would practice with .38 Specials and carry .357 Magnum rounds.

I have owned an N frame .357 and I currently own an L frame. I would have no qualms about shooting .357 Magnum loads in a later K frame (late 1970s-present)

Mike

MDS Supporter

Please note this photo is not the gun I found locally, but it looks like this one on GB.
    pix831849633.jpg

edited to add that photo above is of different gun, just as an example

In case anyone missed it, the photo is of a different gun, one I think looks like the one I saw locally. Sorry I was not more clear about that in the OP.

Mike

MDS Supporter
    My model 19 S&W was purchased new in 1962 with 4" Barrel, all options TT, TH, Midnight blue finish for $127 USD! Inflation is a Bitch. But it is a fine Wheel Gun that I still Love it, Smooth and Accurate. You have to watch out they had QC problems for a few of their Transitional Years.You will have to do some research to Id those years. I used to hit Coffee Can lids @ 100Yds when My eyes were Younger.Back then they called them "Combat Magnums" Good Luck Shop Wisely.

Thank you.

FWIW, inflation of $127 from 1962 to 2017 = $1,025, so this is a little under half that price by comparison. (see What is a dollar worth? on https://www.minneapolisfed.org/ )

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Mike, my apology as I did indeed miss that the revolver pictured is not the actual revolver in question.

Here's a decent overview of what to look for when trying to determine revolver condition. Now you're probably not walking around with feeler gauges in your pocket, and you won't necessarily perform all of these checks in a shop.

There's a bit of a learning curve with revolvers like anything else. The good news is that major problems can oftentimes become obvious with a bit of awareness. Things to at least be conscious of nonetheless.

Good luck!

http://www.friedmanhandguntraining.com/Gun_Maintenance/S&W_revolver_inspection.pdf

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Mike, I spoke with V last night and he should have given you my number. I will be at work tomorrow morning when you run over there but if you want any help give me a yell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom