• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    A pump gun is a different animal compared to any autoloader.

All pumps and break actions are thumpers, just the nature of the beast.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    A pump gun is a different animal compared to any autoloader.

All pumps and break actions are thumpers, just the nature of the beast.

Yep. I have only just recently experienced an autoloading shotgun. World of difference

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    And, I'll also say, any one that hunts or shoots with me knows full well,.... "it ain't the gun"!

While I'd probably never recommend a pump gun for waterfowl or any kind of target shooting, pretty much ANY modern auto-loader will serve most folks well for light use. If you're going to hammer on something with a few thousand or more rounds you're gonna want something like a "B" gun.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I have the Maxus and love it also. Four other friends have Brownings and never have had an issue. The SX4 uses the same operating system.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I just got a Browning Maxus Wicked Wing. I have only shot one round of sporting clays with it, but was very happy with it. All of my shotguns are vintage O/U or SxS, and I really needed a gun I could drop in the bay without sobbing uncontrollably. Dove and duck seasons coming up. We'll see how it goes.

BrowningGuy recommend the Maxus. You can't tell me he's biased.

Very few guns show their problems right out of the box. It takes thousands of rounds through guns before they start to show their weaknesses.

My main hunting gun is a Benelli SBE I bought in 1997. Lord only knows how many rounds I have put through it. One problem I have with it is that it will not reliably shoot light loads. Anything less than 1 1/8 oz at 1,200 fps and things get iffy. The other problem that has come up twice is that residual powder and garbage get down into the buffer spring over time and the action gets slow. Cleaned out the tube twice now in 22 years. First time I ran into this problem I replaced the buffer tube and spring with a stainless steel setup and put a mercury recoil reducer in the stock.

My Beretta 391 Teknys, after 15 years or so of clays shooting, decided to become unreliable on cycling. Figured out that there are two gas ports in the barrel that need to be cleaned every once in a while. Took a drill bit on a dremel and ran it through the holes and she was good as new.

Once upon a time, I cleaned my guns after every outing. Came back tonight, had dinner, and put the guns right in the safe the way they were. Probably will not clean them for a couple of years, if not more. How times change.

Like you, I bought the SBE so I would not cry if it fell into a body of water, the mud, etc. Oh yeah, and because I could not shoot my BPS worth anything, because the semi held an extra shell compared to the o/u, and because the Benelli SBE could shoot 3.5" shells.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I just picked up a Benelli Super Vinci over the SBEIII. Clean gun out of the box, break it in w/ 3 boxes of heavy loads, clean again, and it will shoot all the light loads after that. read that most ppl don't have a problem out the box after cleaning, but I figure after spending that much, I can afford a few boxes of ammo to break it in. trouble is finding a place where you can shoot the heavy loads (pretty much gotta be private land). Only shot some skeet with it after a bust of a turkey hunt, but it shoots great! It's lightyears ahead of my old Mossy 500. Have a buddy that loves his Stoeger too built on the same system

The Super Vinci will be the next gun I buy after my son grows into my SBE. He fired an adult size 28 gauge A400 today on his own and was smoking empty soda cans on a stump at 20 yards. We got home from hunting and after dinner he is asking me, "Daddy, how old were you when you started using Nonno's 12 gauge?" My 6 year old shot the same 28 gauge today by herself, but two rounds and she was done. My son fired 8 rounds from it.

My buddy went from an SBE to the Super Vinci and he really likes the Super Vinci. The mechanics of the SBE are really simple, but the Super Vinci takes simplicity to a whole new level with no recoil spring in the buttstock.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    That's interesting. My benelli shooting 3.5" turkey loads had significantly less recoil than my buddy shooting 3" loads out of his 870.

I fired a slug out of a friend's 870 when I was a lot younger. Thought I was going to have to go and see the dentist on the way home. No break open gun or pump gun has anything on it to lengthen the recoil string, so they kick like mules. That is unless you put a mercury recoil reducer on them. If I tried to shoot a slug out of an 870 now, I might need to go to the ER.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    And, I'll also say, any one that hunts or shoots with me knows full well,.... "it ain't the gun"!

While I'd probably never recommend a pump gun for waterfowl or any kind of target shooting, pretty much ANY modern auto-loader will serve most folks well for light use. If you're going to hammer on something with a few thousand or more rounds you're gonna want something like a "B" gun.

Yep, it really depends on how many rounds a person plans on putting through a gun during its lifetime. Some of the cheaper guns will be just fine for the person that is out shooting once a year and hunting once a year, if that.

As my kids get older, we will be out hunting a lot more. My 6 year old is primed and ready for the hunter safety course and my son wants to know when duck and goose season starts. Still cannot swing the gun on a bird, but he wants to know when the seasons start. lol

It definitely is NOT the gun, but the shooter, as to whether things get hit or not. Well, with a few exceptions, like a double gun that does not have both barrels shooting to the same spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom