• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmocarsky

Apr 20, 2011
    Quick question which I cannot seem to find a quick answer.

Are assisted opening knives (i.e., Kershaw Link) legal in the District of Columbia?

Rmocarsky

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    D.C. Law is as follows:

D.C. Code § 22-4504 (2012)

§ 22-4504. Carrying concealed weapons; possession of weapons during commission of crime of violence; penalty [Formerly § 22-3204]

(a) No person shall carry within the District of Columbia either openly or concealed on or about their person, a pistol, or any deadly or dangerous weapon capable of being so concealed.

Most assisted opening knives are too small to be weapons. If your knife can be shown to be a tool, there's nothing to fear. If you've never been convicted of a violent crime, I wouldn't worry. I carry a 6-inch blade knife for protection all the time in D.C. It could be considered a dangerous weapon, but I don't commit crimes, so I don't care.

Bottom line, just don't carry a dangerous weapon. I've been a victim of violent crime, so I've determined never to be without some means of defense. But I use my knife as as tool and can prove it. Any tool can be a weapon, and if you have a clean record, you should be fine.

--

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Assisted opening is not treated differently than otherwise identical non- assisted folder .

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    D.C. Law is as follows:

D.C. Code § 22-4504 (2012)

§ 22-4504. Carrying concealed weapons; possession of weapons during commission of crime of violence; penalty [Formerly § 22-3204]

(a) No person shall carry within the District of Columbia either openly or concealed on or about their person, a pistol, or any deadly or dangerous weapon capable of being so concealed.

Most assisted opening knives are too small to be weapons. If your knife can be shown to be a tool, there's nothing to fear. If you've never been convicted of a violent crime, I wouldn't worry. I carry a 6-inch blade knife for protection all the time in D.C. It could be considered a dangerous weapon, but I don't commit crimes, so I don't care.

Bottom line, just don't carry a dangerous weapon. I've been a victim of violent crime, so I've determined never to be without some means of defense. But I use my knife as as tool and can prove it. Any tool can be a weapon, and if you have a clean record, you should be fine.

--

I have a Microtech SOCOM Elite with a 4" blade I sometimes carry, and have carried into DC. I actually went into the DHS HQ on 1st St NE for a job, and going through the metal detector, the security guard looked at it, said "Tool for work?" to which I replied yes, and I was on my way.

Hattie

Sep 18, 2012
    See DC Code sec. 22-4514(b):

(b) No person shall within the District of Columbia possess, with intent to use unlawfully against another, an imitation pistol, or a dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, or knife with a blade longer than 3 inches, or other dangerous weapon.

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    See DC Code sec. 22-4514(b):

(b) No person shall within the District of Columbia possess, with intent to use unlawfully against another, an imitation pistol, or a dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, or knife with a blade longer than 3 inches, or other dangerous weapon.

So what are the key takeaways? If you don't intend for unlawful use, blade length doesn't matter? Or that it's fine to use unlawfully if it's under 3 inches..?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom