• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have the Alinco P/S. It is a good one, just remember that the front connections are strictly for low amp loads.

Astron.

Mine has been on continuously for over 20 years. I have never heard of a failure.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    +1 for Astron! I picked up my 30A supply about 8 years ago at a hamfest and it's been running strong ever since!

We should set up a net!

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I missed the July hamfest which was closer for me; but I hope to make this one, if anyone thinks it will be worth the day trip:

Carroll County Tailgate Fest
    Sunday, August 18, 2013
    Sponsor: Carroll County Amateur Radio Club
    706 Agriculture Center Drive
    Westminster, MD 21157
    Talk-In: 145.410 (PL 114.8)
    2145 Bethel Road
    Finksburg, MD 21048
    Phone: 410-876-1482
    Email: n3sb@qis.net

Go to the LARC VE session on Saturday August 17th at the Laurel Women's Club. 0800 I believe, and a lot closer than Westminster. The bonus is, if you don't pass on Saturday, you can saddle up and head up to the hamfest on Sunday and take it again.

Both exams are free as they are administered by the Laurel VE.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Hey all I am taking the test tomorrow and have read one of the study guides I picked up online and have been tacking QRZ's practice exam for Tech.

The only practice test I have seen for Tech are 2010 dated. Will I be ok if I am scoring well on the 2010 test. I have to drive an hour to the site and will be really pissed if I am using old info.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Hey all I am taking the test tomorrow and have read one of the study guides I picked up online and have been tacking QRZ's practice exam for Tech.

The only practice test I have seen for Tech are 2010 dated. Will I be ok if I am scoring well on the 2010 test. I have to drive an hour to the site and will be really pissed if I am using old info.

The tests change every four years on a staggered schedule Tech, General, Extra. Current Tech. question pool began July 1, 2010!

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    So what do I do now? I know I have to wait for my call sign but I thought I read somewhere that you can "tap" into other peoples rigs via the internet?

Id rather do something like that to learn?

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    So what do I do now? I know I have to wait for my call sign but I thought I read somewhere that you can "tap" into other peoples rigs via the internet?

If you mean listen while your are waiting for your license to be listed, Google "SDR online". SDR = Software Defined Radio.

Last edited:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

I'm not aware of any remote amateur stations that do NOT require an amateur call sign to do so.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Apparently the Amateur Radio Club of the National Electronics Museum, located near BWI, is going to start a Technician Class this Tuesday night 9/10 at 6:30pm. I don't have any more information and it looks like they haven't updated their web page "Classes&Exams" link with this information so you should probably email or call them first to be sure.

http://k3nem.org/node/217 - scroll down to "Training Report"

Pockets

Apr 5, 2013
    I can attest to the quality of the classes at NEM, I got my extra class license at 13 from Rolands teaching, Back then you still had to learn code!

I havent been active much lately but I enjoy old tube rigs and have a small collection and have built several tube and solid state radios.

WX3DX

jasonk1229

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2013
    MD
    Luckily I live on the third floor and not a lot of people walk behind the building so I think I can get away with something. No way can I clamp something to the railing since it can easily be seen. I came across this on YouTube and think it will be my first shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcO5WAiksNI

I'll start by laying it on it's side realizing it should be vertical, but I can put it on the bottom of the balcony right under the railing. Worst case is I stand it up next to the sliding glass door. If this doesn't work, I have a few other antennas in mind.

Anyone have experience with the Yaesu FT-8800R radio and/or Alinco DM-330MVT power supply? Those are my two front runners at this point.

Not sure id you made your selection but I havr the Yarsu 8800 been great for 2 years pain in the butt to learn to use though.

KB3RWV

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Not sure id you made your selection but I havr the Yarsu 8800 been great for 2 years pain in the butt to learn to use though.

KB3RWV

I ended up getting the 8900 instead. The only thing I don't like is you can't program each side separately. Otherwise, I like it. As for programming, I bought the ADMS software from RT Systems which seems to do a nice job.

Now the struggle is figuring out which HF radio to buy since I passed my general exam. I'm leaning towards the Elecraft KX3 with an Alexloop antenna.

Jan 28, 2013
    A friend of mine up in boston is into this stuff big time. He has talked to people around the world. I know he has some high dollar stuff and maybe even some stuff thats not so legal.

Have no clue what this stuff is but this is some of his rig he posted on fb

1239018_10200572729861705_441483925_n.jpg

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Just a wattmeter, so you can tell how much power you are putting into the antenna system. Also SWR meter, to see how well the antenna is impendance matched to the rig.

1038 watts is perfectly legal.

But I have talked around the world with 200 watts max. And some people do it with a lot less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom