Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old September 13th, 2019, 05:50 AM #111

Big country, try this one I found. If you like hot go for the Original. The light was still way too hot for the wife and daughter. Deer Pepperoni

The problem is most people I find posting recipes online aren't posting very good recipes! I have struggled with bologna and finding good ones. Sausages are pretty easy and good. Trying to improve my hot dogs right now.
Archeryrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2019, 07:41 AM #112

If you want to go with a premade seasoning I cant recommend the spices from Waltonsinc.com enough!
TrappedinMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2019, 08:43 AM #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeryrob View Post
Big country, try this one I found. If you like hot go for the Original. The light was still way too hot for the wife and daughter. Deer Pepperoni

The problem is most people I find posting recipes online aren't posting very good recipes! I have struggled with bologna and finding good ones. Sausages are pretty easy and good. Trying to improve my hot dogs right now.
Thanks man, I'll take a look.

The first time I made summer sausage, I nailed the consistency of the meat. Perfect feel to it, filled out the casing right, but the flavor was a mess. Half of it tasted great, half of it was awful, like I didnt get the spice mixed. This passed attempt, the flavor was great throughout, but the meat itself dried out a bit, and the sticks shrunk in the casing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
BigCountry14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2019, 11:43 AM #114

What are you cooking in and are you using a probe for Internal temperature? I use my smokehouse to cook stuff in and start low and slow and cook all day. I have since changed to only cooking to 145 IT and never getting over 175 in the smokehouse. It takes all day cooking but it stays moist. If you are getting over 180 you can get fatting out the SS and making it dry. I've done that before through lack of patience.
Archeryrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2019, 01:03 PM #115

Send a message via MSN to wilcam47 Send a message via Yahoo to wilcam47

Send a message via MSN to wilcam47 Send a message via Yahoo to wilcam47
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Maryland they want you to kill as many as you can. Limit is 15 antlerless per weapon season if I remember correctly? Itís at least 10.

I live in a neighborhood of 1-7 acre properties with most on the medium side of that. Near a state park. A few bigger farms by the state park. By my count Iíve got around 40-50 different deer that are coming by/through my property over the course of a week. Iíve IDíd at least ~20 or so I know are unique.

At least as far as I am aware itís me and 2 other guys who hunt in our neighborhood on 5-7 acre properties.

Itís a little overrun with them.

But I would have rather taken a bigger one. I also like adding something to the freezer early on. Then I get pickier. Iíll admit, I havenít been hunting too long (5 season for me) and just move to this property in May. So a little confidence building is good for me. Plus never neck shot a deer and Iíll admit to a little bit of trial and error and didnít want to try that on a bigger deer first. Not sure I would again unless I had zero other options. Not if it was on the hoof and might string jump or move. At least not with a bow. It was humane enough, but I can also see where it could more easily go wrong.

Plus tender venison. Canít complain too much on that. Though Iíd prefer a yearling. A lot more meat, still pretty darned tender.
I was just picking on you...My wife shot a yearling doe...probably just lost its spots. Boy was it tender! Made good stew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefflac View Post

My son got his first archery harvest last night. Stupid coyote scared two off my stand at 60 yards out. One of them was a nice one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats awesome! congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I mean, doesnít everyone (except for Outrider. If he canít put a harness on it to plow his fields it isnít big enough to be worth shooting)?

Congrats to your son! A fine deer. My older one was out with me tracking down the fawn on Saturday (not like I didnít know where it went, but I figured a good exercise for him). Younger two were at friendís houses. This morning my older one got on the bus right after I shot a doe and the middle one helped me track it (he is REALLY good at it! I am taking him on all my hunts from now on) and the younger one came out to see the deer a little later.

First time theyíve all seen a dead deer. Especially blood trails and what not. Handled it better then I sort of expected them to. None wanted to stick around for field dressing, but thatís fine. Only my 5th season hunting and the kids are 11, 9 and 7. The middle one is obsessed with deer.

Doe was further in my meadow out of range, went up in to my front wood and I saw her circle around past my garage and down my hill from a window so I ran back out in to the garage. 23yds from the garage window to where she was hit. A couple inches lower than I thought I was aiming, but perfect heart shot. Still managed about 100yds flat out running in to the woods. Arrow broke ribs and lodged in the muscle of the opposite shoulder. Very slight quartering away angle. Broke the arrow head running. Must have brushed a tree (she also broke the leg she had hunched up running).

I lost sight of her so I waited 45 minutes and found her right where I had lost sight of her. Must have collapsed instead have stopped and fallen.

No spots this time even if she isnít enormous, maybe a yearling or 2 1/2yr old. Iíd guess 90-100lbs live weight. Wasnít the smallest deer in the cooler when I dropped her at the butcher this time :-P
nice deer prob a 2.5 yr old at 100lbs...They are good eating also.

Air Force Veteran--20yrs 14 days
wilcam47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:24 PM #116

A friend on my sent me this today while driving in Centreville. The peace it being to my soul knowing that something this majestic is running around in nature barely outweighs my desire to have it mounted on my wall.....BARELY!!!! Man he's perfect

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-M8...w?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-LY...w?usp=drivesdk
Huuman is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports