• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elind

Dec 22, 2013
    Fort Meade
    Finally filled the freezer!

Got her yesterday around 830. Had spike come in, but was very cautious, wouldn't commit. She came in 20 min later with not a care in the world. Grimm Reaper Whitetail Special did the rest.

Attachments

• IMG_0442.jpg
      IMG_0442.jpg
      152.7 KB · Views: 416
    • IMG_0443.jpg
      IMG_0443.jpg
      170.8 KB · Views: 404

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    This morning's harvest. Walked out with my climber on my back and all my gear. Never even made it into a tree. This gal was just staring at me.

Not the best pic.

5579fd6044061ecbcded446440a331a8.jpg

atomix8

Nov 3, 2015
    Davidsonville
    They seem to still be on predictable summer-like patterns at my place. Missed a buck last night that jumped the string...or I shot high. Whacked an antlerless Friday though :)

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Just missed a nice doe from my stand. She jumped around, ran off into the woods, then walked back out and snorted at me for 5 minutes while I couldn't reload my crossbow. Going to sit a while, but I think the day's done.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Are you seeing more dead deer on the side of the roads yet? We seem to be seeing a few more now. Anyone seeing any rutting behavior? Just curious if it's that time of the year already.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Are you seeing more dead deer on the side of the roads yet? We seem to be seeing a few more now. Anyone seeing any rutting behavior? Just curious if it's that time of the year already.

Seeing lots of dead fawns. It's typical this time of year. The young stupid fawns are no longer attached at the teat to their moms. They are now learning/practicing their escape and evasion techniques. They run around like blind fools. They pay the price unfortunately.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Seeing lots of dead fawns. It's typical this time of year. The young stupid fawns are no longer attached at the teat to their moms. They are now learning/practicing their escape and evasion techniques. They run around like blind fools. They pay the price unfortunately.

In my part of paradise, I'm seeing mature does and a few young bucks. I'm not sure if it's the change back to warm weather that has them running or we're in a pre-rut situation. Seems mighty early for the rut to begin, but looking at the trees around here, you'd think it's the end of October.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Well, in looking at my calendar I see we just had a full moon. This is the full moon that precedes the rutting moon. Supposedly does do have a very minute estrus cycle on or about this time. That's what I have read, anyway. Maybe it's that. I've been seeing lots of dead fawns out my way.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Wow, what day! My 15yo son decided this was the year he is really going to hunt a lot and work on filling the family freezer himself.

We went out this morning and at about 7:30 a small 6 point came in and stood broad side at 25 yards, i told him to take the shot whenever he was ready. He shot and hit a little far back and hit the liver. I blame it on buck fever since he is probably a better shot than me and most MDS members :innocent0

Anyways, knowing it wasnt a great shot we let the deer lay for a while and when we found first blood we had dark red blood and a great blood trail. Then Murphys law kicked in and the blood litterally stopped like someone turn off a valve. We looked all over and nothing! I had to leave for work, but i told my son to keep looking.

After hunting with me for years he knew a deer that didnt go down fast was heading for water so he started walking the creek and found his buck!

So now i have a 15yo that has never gutted a deer face timing me and we are doing step by field dressing on face time. It was a mess!!! To make matters worse, my wife helped him drag it out, i'm gonna be in the dog house for this one :sad20:

My brother SummittCnty stopped by to help and the deer is at the butcher shop. All in all it was a crazy day, but he has a great first buck story :thumbsup:

Can somebody fix the sideway picture please
    Congrats to your son! That's a great buck and he was right to follow the water trail! :thumbsup:

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I found two fresh rubs today when i got down. But as i was walking out, at the edge of my woods, unloading the crossbow bolt, an 8 point and a 9 point stood up in the brush right on the edge of my horse field and took off running. Theyre all over my trail cams, still in a pretty consistent pattern.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I was planning to go out tomorrow, but going to the range today to eight in my ML, the weather was just miserable. Tomorrow looks like more of the same. 80F, 100% humidity and drizzle does not sound like kind of s fun time.

Looks like a week from tomorrow I’ll run out the moment work is done to do some scouting and run my stand up to find a good spot for early muzzleloader later that week. Crossbow armed scouting. I’ll probably sit the evening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom