• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    I'm a gonna see if I can become an FFL/SOT and transfer in a suppressor on an Form 3 faster than I could buy one on a Form 4.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Called today. Had a dealer send in 3 for 4s at the same time (5/5/16). 2 approved and back over a week ago. The 3rd is still pending? They were very apologetic about it. Also my form 1 sent in end of June she says is still about another month out. Sounds like they have a ton more than normal from may and I'm sure it gets worse as it nears July's dates from what I heard from her.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Got one stamp in today's e-mail. Submitted it on 6/22/2016. Problem with the stamp is that it is marked "DRAFT". Sent an e-mail to the ATF to ask that the "DRAFT" watermark be removed. Have four more that were submitted on 7/4. Maybe by the end of tax season, which will allow me to spend summer time building stuff.

Come on Hearing Protection Act.

Knuckles

Feb 28, 2012
    Ceciltucky, MD
    Form 4 Individual (AAC 7.62 Supressor)

-Bought sometime towards end of Feb 2016.
    -Transferred to my dealer at the beginning of June 2016.
    -Check cashed: 6/15/2016
    -Approved: 2/3/2017 (I called today)

Now waiting on a call from my dealer to come pick it up.

Pretty much a full year since I paid for it... that is just ridiculous for a sound suppressor for a rifle!

I will be happy when I get it but I do wish I had done 2 at once. I want a 45/9 pistol can but may just wait it out to see if the Hearing Protection Act goes thru.

Pic forthcoming...

Got an email this morning that my suppressor was ready to be picked up...

Needless to say I was there an hour later & she's home in my safe tonight!

1 week from ATF approval till the stamp was back at my dealer... not too bad.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    What I don't get is how this really takes this long? It's insane? I am about to form a NFA trust then file a form 1... so my 'solvent trap' can sit in my safe until the atf approves it.... in 8 months +....

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Got one stamp in today's e-mail. Submitted it on 6/22/2016. Problem with the stamp is that it is marked "DRAFT". Sent an e-mail to the ATF to ask that the "DRAFT" watermark be removed. Have four more that were submitted on 7/4. Maybe by the end of tax season, which will allow me to spend summer time building stuff.

I believe you are supposed to log into the system and print the actual stamp that does not include the DRAFT watermark on it.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co

My two were marked draft and I emailed them and got it corrected pretty quickly... there is a glitch in the system they said... imagine that... :lol2:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I believe you are supposed to log into the system and print the actual stamp that does not include the DRAFT watermark on it.

I received the new stamp yesterday without the "DRAFT" watermark across it. The turn around was really quick. Now, I am waiting on the last 4 Form 1 applications for suppressors. They were submitted on July 4th. Guessing I have a couple more weeks, which is fine with me because I am not going to have the time to start building stuff until after tax season.

Maybe this 4th of July, the Hearing Protection Act will become law and we can celebrate good times, come on.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009

No. The stamp that they send to you in the email is the "actual" one and shouldn't be marked draft. If that one is marked draft, so will the one be if you log in to eForms. If this happens you have to contact the NFA branch and get it fixed like Fabs did. It's not an uncommon problem.

Hopefully the NFA will be repealed by then.

I doubt that VERY much. The NFA is not getting repealed.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    I just got off the phone with the NFA branch and as an FYI the recording is out of date. Currently they say that the wait time is 8 months. I had a check cash date of 6/1 so an 8 month wait would make my approval date of 2/1. Well I was told I have another 4 to 6 weeks left before I could expect an approval. They said if I didn't get my stamp by the end of March, to call back. If I don't get my stamp until the end of March, that means they are really at between 9.5 and 10 month wait. At what point does this come to a due process issue? 6months, 12 months, 18 months? This is just stupid.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I just got off the phone with the NFA branch and as an FYI the recording is out of date. Currently they say that the wait time is 8 months. I had a check cash date of 6/1 so an 8 month wait would make my approval date of 2/1. Well I was told I have another 4 to 6 weeks left before I could expect an approval. They said if I didn't get my stamp by the end of March, to call back. If I don't get my stamp until the end of March, that means they are really at between 9.5 and 10 month wait. At what point does this come to a due process issue? 6months, 12 months, 18 months? This is just stupid.

Due process? The 5th Amendment states that nobody shall be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law. Where is taking 8+ months depriving a person of life, liberty, or property? The government isn't taking away life, liberty, or property from us, unless we want to try and make a stretch that it is taking away our ability to buy "nice things" before going through an application process and paying a tax. Think it would be more of a 2nd Amendment argument than a 5th Amendment argument.

With that said, my Form 1 that I submitted on June 21 was just approved last week. So, it was just under an 8 month wait. Hoping I get my other Form 1 stamps, that I submitted on July 4th, approved by the end of April.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Due process? The 5th Amendment states that nobody shall be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law. Where is taking 8+ months depriving a person of life, liberty, or property? The government isn't taking away life, liberty, or property from us, unless we want to try and make a stretch that it is taking away our ability to buy "nice things" before going through an application process and paying a tax. Think it would be more of a 2nd Amendment argument than a 5th Amendment argument.

With that said, my Form 1 that I submitted on June 21 was just approved last week. So, it was just under an 8 month wait. Hoping I get my other Form 1 stamps, that I submitted on July 4th, approved by the end of April.
    I'm no law expert:toothless
    But I think there'd be a shred of an argument about deprivation of property. I mean you pay all the money for the NFA item, then you pay your $200 tax so you own it. Then you just have to be at the mercy of the ATF for nearly a year before you are allowed to possess your property.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    But I think there'd be a shred of an argument about deprivation of property. I mean you pay all the money for the NFA item, then you pay your $200 tax so you own it. Then you just have to be at the mercy of the ATF for nearly a year before you are allowed to possess your property.

Can you cancel your application and get your money back? I think so. You are at the ATF's mercy if you want the actual stamp. However, it does not have your money hostage. You can cancel the application before it is approved and get your money back. I did that on a Form 1 I screwed up. Granted, it took a couple months for the ATF to issue the refund, but I doubt this is going to be anywhere close to a due process issue.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD

I don't think there is much to stand on here. Paying up front for the suppressor is our choice and forced by the businesses that sell them. If people were unwilling to pay until the approval went through, it would force business to change their models if they wanted to continue to receive the revenue. The government doesn't physically hold the hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom