• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I reloaded 10 of the 35 Rem brass that I shot last year and the year before (finally). I put off getting the dies until a couple of weeks ago. I loaded them with 200 gr. Hornady FP bullets and IMR 8028 XBR powder. I bought the powder a couple of years ago for something but never used it so I wanted to get some use out of it. I'm also going to use it for my 30-30 and 32 Win. Special brass I have next.

I ran into a problem when I tried to resize the brass. The de-priming tip got stuck in the brass as it was coming back out. I messed up one brass but finally got it to work by tightening it really, really tight. Pretty weird how that happened and I was wondering if they sent me the wrong die. I was afraid that it would make the bullet hole too big but it worked OK. I also had to lube the brass before resizing.

I loaded the bullets with the lightest load to see how the accuracy was with the load. Will report the range findings when I get a chance.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    You need a little lube on the inside of the case mouth. There are various products and ways of doing this but it sounds as though this could be your problem.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    As stated already, lubing the inside of the neck helps. All bottleneck cases need caselube to prevent sticking in the die. You might want to try Leverevolution powder in those rounds. A great powder giving higher velocities than some others.

Ken

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Maybe back the stem up some, I had a Lyman die set that acted funny a few years ago I think it would pull the expanding ball off it or something. It was brand new and I switched to rcbs and didn't have any more problems. If you were near by I would hand it off to you so you could check it out. I loaded about 400 rounds and am still working on the original bunch. I noticed a whole lot more stopping power with Hornady round nose even with a starting charge of 4320. Surprised popularity has dropped off so much in the .35 used to use it frequently when I used to shoot alot of deer. I'm going to break it out again for sika this year for the same reason.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    You need a little lube on the inside of the case mouth. There are various products and ways of doing this but it sounds as though this could be your problem.

How would you clean it off after you size it? I wouldn't want to put gunpowder in a case that had lube in it.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    How would you clean it off after you size it? I wouldn't want to put gunpowder in a case that had lube in it.

I resize first and then wet tumble. Most everyone else resizes after cleaning so maybe they can chime in with better information. I can say that it just takes a tiny amount of lube every fifth case or so. I use the wax type lube on my fingers and every so often I will run my finger across the top of the neck opening and it deposits enough lube on the sharp edge to lube the neck expander.

There are also dry lubes like motor mica and powdered graphite which I tried at first. I didn't like the mica but the graphite is excellent. RCBS sells a little container of graphite mixed with tiny balls that you roll the case neck into but I found that applying with a Q-tip coated with graphite was much quicker and easier.

EKing

NRA Benefactor
    Aug 12, 2016
    Sykesville

For inside case neck lube, I use a dry powdered mica like this product:
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2124290522/frankford-arsenal-fine-powdered-mica

I lube the outside with Imperial sizing wax, then dip the case mouth into the mica, then size. After sizing, wipe off the wax with a towel and don't worry about the mica left in the case mouth; it won't contaminate the powder and I don't have to tumble my brass all over again. This has worked for my 30-30 and 30-06 reloads quite nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom