Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Doesn't look particularly durable or tool resistant. Just from the pictures, I can several potential ways to open it quickly with hand tools out of your toolbox, and the crowbar the intruder used to pry your window to get into the house would pop that sheetmetal clamshell right open.

Whether it's useful or not depends on the threat you're defending against.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If you surprise someone in your house, that means you're eyeball to eyeball with that person.

Do you think he's going to let you access the lockbox? What if you have to go through him to get to the lockbox?

The only way this would work is if you knew where in the house he was relative to your gun stash.

And if you know this ahead of time, it would be best to not go in your house.

Don't know what state you live in, but hunting for in your house humans is frowned upon in Retreatistan.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    I don't believe in locking up a firearm that I may need for home defense, it just seems dangerous. Imagine having a trigger lock on your CCW while your out and about? Seems like the same thing as locking your weapon down at home.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I would like some strong box where I can quickly access a rifle or shotgun for home defense. I would like it secure so said weapon cannot be used against me by an intruder should I surprise one in my house while coming home. Something like this perhaps?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/430397/hornady-rapid-safe-shotgun-wall-lock-rfid-safe-steel-black

As I understand this...
    It's not about "clearing your house" or "meeting a burglar on your way to the bathroom at night"... Those scenarios would both be addressed by already having your gun in hand.

Simply stated... You don't want to return home, walk into your house and get shot with your own gun.

That can be accomplished by a few different means...
    • a full function gun safe will make it difficult for a buglar to access the gun
    • a hidden panel which is secret to anyone but you, and must be accessed via hidden release will make it difficult for a burglar to find the gun
    • remove the firing pin/BCG or other means of disabling the gun so nobody can use it
    • storing all ammo in a separate locked case away from the gun so that even if the gun is accessed, it can't be used to shoot you

None of these are foolproof... safes can be breached, secret panels can be found... and I highly doubt that a buglar will bring their own BCG or ammo... But, they will all increase your odds against being shot with your own gun.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    If you surprise someone in your house, that means you're eyeball to eyeball with that person.

Do you think he's going to let you access the lockbox? What if you have to go through him to get to the lockbox?

What if you call time out?

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I would go with concealment over any type of "quick access" safe or lock if you want a gun to be handy in case of emergency. There are lots of ways to hide firearms in plain sight, where you'll have easy access and no one else would guess they are there. Search for concealmemt furinture.

Texas

Villiage Idiot
    Nov 16, 2016
    Accokeek
    I can see where I would be able to use that. Problem is that I have kids in the house. So locking up my firearms is a must. That said I do use Gunvault pistol safe for my former EDC. I have it near my desk so I have access to it during the day. I have another where I sleep. I just move it from one spot to the other as my day progresses.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I can see where I would be able to use that. Problem is that I have kids in the house. So locking up my firearms is a must. That said I do use Gunvault pistol safe for my former EDC. I have it near my desk so I have access to it during the day. I have another where I sleep. I just move it from one spot to the other as my day progresses.

You clearly need more firearms.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Don't know what state you live in, but hunting for in your house humans is frowned upon in Retreatistan.

True - BUT - I do not want my rifle used on LE responding to a burglary at my house. Unacceptable. In that case - I'll just keep them in the safe while I am gone and out only if I am home, or perhaps go with a couple other options put forth here (hide the firing pin, etc.).

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    FAS1 safe

Plug in 2AGUYSANDGEAR15 at check out and you'll get a $15 discount. :thumbsup:

This is what I'm getting as soon as I have the cash together, and I'll be using your code. :)

For the OP I don't know if this helps as much because I don't think Fas-1 has a rifle box, but their pistol boxes are AWESOME. 7GA steel construction, internal hinge, jamb around the door, and they aren't susceptible to any of the common ways that you can break in to most commercial pistol boxes in under a minute.

They use a Simplex lock, which is mechanically the best thing you could want on a "quick access" pistol box. Traditionally, Simplex locks are "kind of" easy to brute force a combination on, because they have a maximum of 1,084 possible combos, so if you've got a kid with time on their hands they could potentially just try every combo. Fas-1 gets past this, though, with their added key lock. When you're not home, you just put the key lock in bypass mode and it disables the Simplex lock altogether.

They even have a box that's designed for a suppressed pistol, which is what I'll end up with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom