• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • High Q

Jan 16, 2009
    Here is what I think when I think of gun manufacturers. These are just generalities as I know all these companies can make excellent guns, but this is how I feel after buying guns for a long time.

Beretta - Vanilla

Browning - Well made, but not the most accurate. (Shotguns excepted)

CZ - Most accurate guns out of the box. Always high quality.

Remington - Used to be the standard, now they are more interested in quantity over quality.

Ruger - Always nice looking, but never the most accurate. (With the exception of their 22 pistols)

Savage - Used to be considered a lesser quality gun, now it is the most accurate gun for the money. (CZs cost more) They are where Remington was years ago.

Sig Sauer - Was the Cadillac of guns, now quality has diminished.

Smith & Wesson - Has been consistently good throughout the years with a few exceptions (Sigma comes to mind).

Springfield - Consistently good throughout their history.

Winchester - Well made but not the most accurate.

Any one think differently?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    BTW, Springfield Armory, Inc. is different from the government Springfield Armory and has nothing to do with them. The actual Springfield Armory shut down in 1968.

When I think S&W autos, I think cheap, unwanted guns that you can snag just to have another gun lying around. The M&Ps are so cheap, so I usually direct people to them if they simply want a gun.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Here is what I think when I think of gun manufacturers. These are just generalities as I know all these companies can make excellent guns, but this is how I feel after buying guns for a long time.

Beretta - Vanilla

I can't think of Beretta as anything other than the foreign guy who got his job because it was PC.

Sold a once proud name. Makes good stuff but you can't go by the brand name any more.

Old school. Highest quality, great manufacturing.

Remington - Used to be the standard, now they are more interested in quantity over quality.

Another brand that sold it's name. Still, when I think of them I think of putting the first round out of a 03A3 into the X at 100 yards.

Ruger - Always nice looking, but never the most accurate. (With the exception of their 22 pistols)

Used to be old school, didn't really care what everyone else was doing. Made great firearms at a variety of price points. Best BP pistol, ever.

Now, follow the crowd.

Savage - Used to be considered a lesser quality gun, now it is the most accurate gun for the money. (CZs cost more) They are where Remington was years ago.

Underrated because of their past, but build good firearms.

Smith & Wesson - Has been consistently good throughout the years with a few exceptions (Sigma comes to mind).

Old school and still old school.

They remind me of the tech support guys in some other country that use an English first name.

A tragic loss of quality and another sell out.

Last edited:

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    You forgot Marlin.

Machined parts that are in no way deburred.

Could be useful if you kill a deer and forgot to bring your knife.

Just field strip your rifle and use the parts to field dress your deer.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon

Beretta - Vanilla

Sig Sauer - Was the Cadillac of guns, now quality has diminished.

Any one think differently?

This is my take...

Beretta - Nice but overpriced IMO.

Browning/FN - Excellent manufacturer, if expensive. Rifles are mostly good. About the best shotgun in the world. They need to bring the original Auto 5 back.

CZ - Underrated. Very high quality firearms for decent prices.

Remington - Riding more on their name than what they produce nowadays. Some guns are good, but they are expensive. Their economy line (express shotguns, 770, etc.) seem to be made by poorly trained two-toed sloths at times.

Ruger - In many ways, I find Ruger to be a paradox. I find their quality mostly good, like they are a budget version of Browning/FN. High quality for the money, but yet always seem expensive (but often higher quality) than their direct competitors. However, I am often underwhelmed the particular aspects of their firearms (expensive mags, cheap synthetic stocks, AICS mags instead of M14 mags on the Gunsite Scout, etc.). Probably the best mainstream US-based gun manufacturer, IMO.

Savage - Outside of their decent rimfire line, I put them below Ruger/Remington's better offerings, above cheaper Remingtons. Not bad for the cash, but there's much better offerings out there.

Sig Sauer - Good handguns and black rifles, somewhat overrated and expensive for what you get.

Smith & Wesson - Excellent handguns (except for the Sigma).

Springfield - Never had hands on a gun they actually made. I have handled lots of XDs (I like), M1As (I like), and 1911s (okay for the money). All were made by a second party or from parts sourced from Brazil it seems.

Winchester - Today: mostly trash except for Miroku-produced firearms and perhaps Model 70 rifles. However, historically they make damn fine firearms, if a little overrated at times. There's nothing like a Model 71 Deluxe, though. It's a work of art.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    This is my take...
    Springfield - Never had hands on a gun they actually made. I have handled lots of XDs (I like), M1As (I like), and 1911s (okay for the money). All were made by a second party or from parts sourced from Brazil it seems.

Honestly, their old basic G.I. .45 1911A-1 which was a re-badged Imbel was the best damned handgun I ever owned. Nothing fancy, nothing to try and improve upon JMBs design, just a work-horse that fit well, didn't rust, and put the rounds in the 10-ring all day long without a jam or FTF.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Honestly, their old basic G.I. .45 1911A-1 which was a re-badged Imbel was the best damned handgun I ever owned. Nothing fancy, nothing to try and improve upon JMBs design, just a work-horse that fit well, didn't rust, and put the rounds in the 10-ring all day long without a jam or FTF.

Yeah, I have SAI Loaded Parkerized 1911 from 2011 which was made in Brazil. The previous owner had all of the internals replaced with quality STI stuff and the feed ramp modified and polished by a local smith. I put linseed oil on the parkerizing and cured it in the oven. It's a very good gun that's reliable with a tough finish.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    BTW, Springfield Armory, Inc. is different from the government Springfield Armory and has nothing to do with them. The actual Springfield Armory shut down in 1968.

That's true. I assume that since it was a closed gov't facility, the name was in the public domain and they just started using it for trademark protection. That's probably the same case as Rock Island Armory, which has nothing to do with the original facility in Rock Island, Illinois.

JoeR

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

YUP! Their original Mil-Spec 1911-A1.

Had one in the late 80s'/early 90s. Had a greenish hued Parkerizing.

Great guns that ate everything they were fed. I really miss those days.

Too many gun owners accept poor quality and mechanical problems as a matter of fact now. Shame.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland

Used to be the standard, but now I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole. Remington QA is just simply dangerous.

Used to be lower quality, but then they came up with a brilliant barrel nut design that custom action makers have borrowed and now use for their own designs. Savage is now the standard in my mind for cheap accurate rifles.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas

Not ALWAYS nice looking...

Attachments

• 800px-True-lies-ruger.jpg
      800px-True-lies-ruger.jpg
      38.6 KB · Views: 889

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    GLOCK-sold at tupperware partie

I know folks who are still using Tupperware from the 1960s. :D

GLOCK-designed by masons

To be considered an "ugly gun" by so many... The Glock certainly does attract one hell of a lot of fans.

They are the Pugs of the gun world...
    • so ugly that they are just plain beautiful
    • dependable and there when you need them

If they ever make a rifle... it will be a great addition to the community, and a square deal as well.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    H&K - The user clearly isn't good enough, smart enough, or talented enough to maximize the awesomeness that is H&K.

I think Glock and H&K are the 2 most loved or hated firearms on the planet. Most folks either love them or hate them. I'm happy as long as they go bang every time I pull the trigger. H&K is just too expensive for what I get for my money. This is a personal opinion and nothing more.

YMMV

38super

Jan 8, 2016
    Montgomery County
    I do not even look at too many new guns anymore due to the fact that is does not matter the maker their quality control is non existent. The new smith and Wesson revolvers are not as nice as my older pinned and recessed models their standard's have not dropped off as much as some of the other gun maker's listed.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Steyr - unusual, cutting-edge designs that don't necessarily equate to popularity. The gun maker that seems to have the hardest time getting things into the US market.

Walther - Teutonic reliability and functionality. Made by Germans for Germans to defend Germany.

Sako - Legendary durability and accuracy. The gun that kept the Soviet bear at-bay. (At least, in Finland)

Uzi/Galil/IMI - All business, no BS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom