• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I bought a used one that needs the firing pin. I got it kinda cheap so I don't mind fixing it myself.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I found a guy on the internet in Maine who makes parts for old Winchesters. I called him up today and he said he has the part. I sent him a check and I should get it next week. I took the rifle apart again and cleaned the bore out real good with the bore brush.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Here's a pic of the gun taken apart:

Attachments

• IM002633[1].jpg
      IM002633[1].jpg
      79.2 KB · Views: 124

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I got the firing pin from the guy in Maine this morning in the mail. I put it in the rifle and reassembled it. I couldn't wait to take it to the range and see how it shot.

The rifle performed perfectly and was pretty accurate but it has more recoil than my Marlin 336AS.

:bannana:

Attachments

• IM002638.jpg
      IM002638.jpg
      178.2 KB · Views: 112
    • IM002639.jpg
      IM002639.jpg
      154.2 KB · Views: 113
    • IM002640.jpg
      IM002640.jpg
      177.2 KB · Views: 112

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Question about this rifle: Do I have to have separate ammo from the ammo I have shot from my Marlin 336 30-30 rifle? I was having trouble chambering some reloads that I used from shooting the Marlin.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    Question about this rifle: Do I have to have separate ammo from the ammo I have shot from my Marlin 336 30-30 rifle? I was having trouble chambering some reloads that I used from shooting the Marlin.

That's more of a reloading question. Difficult clambering can be caused by a couple of reasons. Not setting the shoulder back far enough, over crimping leading to the shoulder bulging and oal too long . 30-30 cases are pretty thin to begin with. If New Ammo works ok then it's something above. It took me years to finally get a Wilson go, no-go gage. Best way I have found to insure correct set back.

starmetal

Apr 5, 2017
    If your reloading dies are within specs there should be no difference in resizing cases whether they were fired in any rifle of any brand. Sounds like you didn't size the shoulder back enough. This to is size a case, then marker it all up with a black marker pen, and gently insert it into the chamber with your fingers and close the action. You might want to just crack the lever, but don't extract, and close it again to get the offending part of the chamber or the case to rub the black marker off the case. If in your situation it takes off some of the marker on the shoulder, then you aren't sizing the shoulder back enough. Try that and report your findings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom