• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I'm looking at the Kershaw Blur, and the Buck Vantage Pro at this price point. Are there others to consider? It looks like if I go a little above this price point,. .. Spyderco Tenacious or Zero Tolerance... thoughts?

Thanks in advance...

Blkhawk870

Nov 15, 2014
    Baltimore County
    I've had the Kershaw blur for about a year now and I really like it. It holds an edge well but it is a little big for me to keep clipped to my pocket. It's my only knife I keep in my pocket rather than clipped.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    You can get a Zero Tolerance, Rick Hinderer designed knife for around $140 ...

https://jet.com/product/Zero-Tolera...-With-Bonus-/b75242785cf84b8a913faa28a911cb57

https://jet.com/product/ZERO-TOLERA...KNIFE-0566CF/0e9fbdb49ea24cb8bd83d4bcb2da904d

Use the coupon code of TRIPLE15 when you check out to get 15% off (up to $30). The above items will ship free.

The steel is ELMAX (which some like better than S30V). I have the black washed version above and it's been my daily carry for a half year. It's rugged, very secure in the hand, and gets a lot of use. At 3.25 inches, it's not a big blade though. With the black wash appearance, I get less looks when I open to use it versus a shiny blade.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    Ive got the kershaw blur as well. It is a little to big for everyday carry. Ive got a smaller kershaw ken onion flipper i carry everyday. Me personally think the s30v steel is a little too hard and i have trouble getting it sharp. But thats just me.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Not a fan of the Vantage pro, tiny flipper, slippery handle, flimsy sheetmetal liner lock, basically they waste a nice blade. The Blur is better, but still not perfect, lacks a flipper, relies on small thumbstuds to hit, the assisted opening is quick, but makes it tougher to close. The handle is a bit blocky, lacks traction around the handle edge, but has really gritty skateboard tape inserts in the flats, the liner lock is built better than the Vantage, but it's still a liner lock, so not ambidextrous, and relatively easy to inadvertently disengage or develop play. In that price range, or close to it, you have the Spyderco Manix2 and Paramilitary2/3, they are extremely ergonomic, much better grip, sculpted to be more secure in the hand, excellent EDC blade shapes, and have unique locks that are far more secure than a liner. The new Benchmade 560 is a possibility too, a little more rounded, and a little more secure grip than the Blur, no assisted opening, but you get the axis lock, probably the best in the buisness.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    At that price point, the Spyderco Military 2 is pretty hard to beat (~$120?.) Durable, good size yet easily pocket-able, lightweight, and S30V is a great steel. If you're thinking fixed blade, Beachmade Saddle Mountain is a great knife for around the same price (~$120?). I assume since you are asking about S30V knives, you aren't looking for a "hard use" knife.

M390 steel is nice, too. If you are willing to spend more, the Benchmade Barrage is a great knife; it has the axis locking system, which is my favorite type, as I am left-handed (my Spyderco Military is a special-run lefty edition.) The Barrage is a little pricier, though (~$200.) After years of use, the lockup is still just as tight as the day I bought it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    This thread made me look.

The Benchmade560 says not available yet, and msrp $130.

The Blur says 14C28N , not the S30V.

So then the flawed Buck @ $58-ish would be the choice left standing for cheap people to try snooty steel ?

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Not a fan of the Vantage pro, tiny flipper, slippery handle, flimsy sheetmetal liner lock, basically they waste a nice blade. The Blur is better, but still not perfect, lacks a flipper, relies on small thumbstuds to hit, the assisted opening is quick, but makes it tougher to close. The handle is a bit blocky, lacks traction around the handle edge, but has really gritty skateboard tape inserts in the flats, the liner lock is built better than the Vantage, but it's still a liner lock, so not ambidextrous, and relatively easy to inadvertently disengage or develop play. In that price range, or close to it, you have the Spyderco Manix2 and Paramilitary2/3, they are extremely ergonomic, much better grip, sculpted to be more secure in the hand, excellent EDC blade shapes, and have unique locks that are far more secure than a liner. The new Benchmade 560 is a possibility too, a little more rounded, and a little more secure grip than the Blur, no assisted opening, but you get the axis lock, probably the best in the buisness.

Thanks for the response! Excellent information. I tested out an 8cr13mov version of the Blur at WM. I didn't like the thumbstuds... too awkward for me to reliably deploy. I guess I'd rather spend a little more money on something that's serviceable than waste $80 on something that's not. Thanks for the advice.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I have a ZT0350 and a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 in S30V. I hate that steel. It chips way to easy, doesn't hold it's edge, and is a bear to resharpen. It's so bad they made S35VN to correct it's shortcomings.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Aside from steel considerations, might consider going to a store that carries different brands (and buying from them) to try out some of your choices. For instance, I got the Manix 2 not long ago. Nice knife, but feels a bit flimsy and doesn't fit my hand well. I'll still probably keep it. It's very lightweight and easy to throw in a pack. By contrast, the two ZT knives (weight and proportions are often similar to different Kershaws, given their relationship) work well in my hand. Secure grip and the blade designs work for cutting, carving, piercing, etc more nimbly for me. Here's a pic of the Manix 2 and ZT 562 (such a smooth operating knife). There's also a Benchmade that I'll likely karma as it's not secure in my hand (well constructed knife though).

45a6956a0411ee2b6f6ef7281aba92ee.jpg

0b9ea2819ea2002637a2d302b66ef782.jpg

Unfortunately, don't have my EDC ZT 566 black wash in the above recent knife pick ups pic.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom