• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    I just checked the FAQ page about SB281 on the MSP website and I swear this question and answer has changed very, very recently. Last time I looked the answer was much more lenient regarding HBAR clones. Now read it.

Also not thee are lumping AR-10's in with HBAR AR-15's. Apparently whoever wrote this doesn't know the difference.

http://mdsp.org/Organization/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/MainLicensingPage/FAQ.aspx

If they start lumping AR10s in "den we gots problums"

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore

ELEMENT94

Wild eyed pistol waver.
    Sep 23, 2007
    I have always thought this would eventually happen. The law says Colt Sporter HBAR . Without the rollmark you are screwed. Barrel profile doesn't matter, its on the unregulated part anyway. Been in several arguments here about it.

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    if its not stamped HBAR on the receiver, from what I have been reading here for a few years, it is a regulated firearm and you are probably lucky they let you just fill out the form on the spot.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    When the boss man says jump...
    :bs:

We have at least one trooper confirming in a not confirming way to a STATE SENSTOR that he is unhappy about the dirty pool politics. Now this garbage. Where is the integrity of their oath of office.

If the troopers and their FOP and union had the balls to do the right thing they'd fight back. They aren't. While individual line officers may be getting caught up in this mess, they are exhibiting behavior that is unacceptable and needs corrective action.

I think as a community we should at least start a defense fund and get some legal defense attorneys into the industry partner forum so folks know whom to call when they get one of these knocks at sunrise (also notice the timing tactic begin used here, much like a warrant execution timing).

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    No disrespect to MSP as i know they are just following orders however if someone from MDS that reads this were to get a visit and says KICK ROCKS your not seeing anything without a warrant, how do u think that would go?

That excuse didn't work for the Nazis when they were rounding up the Jews for death camps. Why should MSP get a break?

Bob.Bee

Oct 13, 2012
    Waldorf, MD
    I just checked the FAQ page about SB281 on the MSP website and I swear this question and answer has changed very, very recently. Last time I looked the answer was much more lenient regarding HBAR clones. Now read it. Although it still doesn't really answer the question about HBAR clones, it doesn't sound good.

Also note they are lumping AR-10's in with HBAR AR-15's. Apparently whoever wrote this doesn't know the difference.

http://mdsp.org/Organization/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/MainLicensingPage/FAQ.aspx

msp paid a visit to a friend of mine this morning. he bought an ar-10 from a dealer at the chantilly show, and this was the firearm they were looking for. they mentioned that it was not registered properly. they also know that he has a bunch of other firearms registered to him...

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    As a quick refresher, here is what the current law says in 5-101. This is part of the confusion. It appears that one could conceivably take the use of the word "copies" to apply to the Colt HBAR Sporter exempted rifle as well.

Regulated firearm. -- "Regulated firearm" means:

(1) a handgun; or

(2) a firearm that is any of the following specific assault weapons or their copies, regardless of which company produced and manufactured that assault weapon:

(xv) Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle;

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    msp paid a visit to a friend of mine this morning. he bought an ar-10 from a dealer at the chantilly show, and this was the firearm they were looking for. they mentioned that it was not registered properly. they also know that he has a bunch of other firearms registered to him...

If you would like, might be a good idea to start your own thread on this one. I'm sure everyone would like to hear more about this.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Please get your friend on here to tell his story.

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac

Considering the AR-10 should not have to be registered at all... This is getting more troubling...

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    :bs:

We have at least one trooper confirming in a not confirming way to a STATE SENSTOR that he is unhappy about the dirty pool politics. Now this garbage. Where is the integrity of their oath of office.

If the troopers and their FOP and union had the balls to do the right thing they'd fight back. They aren't. While individual line officers may be getting caught up in this mess, they are exhibiting behavior that is unacceptable and needs corrective action.

I think as a community we should at least start a defense fund and get some legal defense attorneys into the industry partner forum so folks know whom to call when they get one of these knocks at sunrise (also notice the timing tactic begin used here, much like a warrant execution timing).

For the record, the comment about jumping for the boss man was MSP doing th bidding of ATF and anti politicians (not us filthy subjects jumping for the MSP).

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    No disrespect to MSP as i know they are just following orders however if someone from MDS that reads this were to get a visit and says KICK ROCKS your not seeing anything without a warrant, how do u think that would go?

That would probably go down something like this:

1) MSP obtains warrant
    2) MSP comes and executes the warrant, looking for anything illegal they can find in the process of finding the mentioned firearm
    3) After MSP confirms that the firearm is regulated and you did not register it, you get led out in handcuffs.
    4) MSP attempts to confiscate the firearm. Don't know if current law allows for confiscation though.

Telling them to go get a warrant in this situation is about as bad as telling them they should be back at headquarters working on Forms 77r. Granted, if you are 100% positive that the firearm in question in unregulated and you have nothing else to hide in the house, then go ahead and tell them to go get a warrant. Just make sure you know what ALL the laws are before telling them to go get a warrant.

It kills me to say this, but being a test case can be rather expensive in more ways than just money. It also kills me to lean toward complying with the MSP request.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    From page 6 on the Gansler ruling:

More likely, the reference to “copies” of specific weapons was intended to
    ensure that the requirements of the law could not be avoided simply
    by rebranding or superficially changing a named weapon. This also
    suggests that “copies” was intended to relate to components and
    function, not simply appearance.

They want to use the 'copies' provision to apply to one firearm but not another. The way the law is worded does not allow for that.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    I'll offer this little bit of help for free:

If the police show up at your door and begin asking questions or request that you consent to their inspection of a firearm, respectfully request that they produce a warrant. If they cannot produce a warrant, inform them politely that you will happily comply with their request when, and if, they produce a warrant.

Also, in response to any questions that the police pose, politely inform them that you will happily answer any questions they have in the presence of or after consultation with a lawyer. Specifically claim that you wish to invoke your fifth amendment right against self-incrimination (really forced testimony).

Please note that taking such steps may result in rough treatment by the MSP because you were "uncooperative." I wouldn't put it past them to attempt a dynamic entry while you're at home (early morning) or to conduct a search while you're away from home. They may confiscate your firearm (if they can get a warrant) because you failed to "cooperate" when they asked "nicely." You'll have to decide how much hassle and damage to your life your 2nd Amendment rights and the rule of law are worth. No attorney can make that decision for you.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    For the record, the comment about jumping for the boss man was MSP doing th bidding of ATF and anti politicians (not us filthy subjects jumping for the MSP).
    I'm aware. Sorry...I should have disclaimed that I understood your post.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    That would probably go down something like this:

1) MSP obtains warrant
    2) MSP comes and executes the warrant, looking for anything illegal they can find in the process of finding the mentioned firearm
    3) After MSP confirms that the firearm is regulated and you did not register it, you get led out in handcuffs.
    4) MSP attempts to confiscate the firearm. Don't know if current law allows for confiscation though.

Telling them to go get a warrant in this situation is about as bad as telling them they should be back at headquarters working on Forms 77r. Granted, if you are 100% positive that the firearm in question in unregulated and you have nothing else to hide in the house, then go ahead and tell them to go get a warrant. Just make sure you know what ALL the laws are before telling them to go get a warrant.

It kills me to say this, but being a test case can be rather expensive in more ways than just money. It also kills me to lean toward complying with the MSP request.

Just don't answer the door. There is no law against that.:innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom