• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    6/17/2013 UPDATE - Per Lou at Shooters Discount:

As per FBI NICS email today (06/17), a MD FFL can now call FBI NICS on "OTHER" type guns, not just "LONG GUN". The "HANDGUN" is still unavailable.

It appears the concern is being put to rest. That's a GOOD thing.

--------------------------------------------------------

This will prevent MD Dealers from early releasing ANY Handgun or Receiver which means the MSP can do whatever they want.

This is a HUGE problem because "Silencers" and "AOW's" are listed as "Other thus when a person comes to pickup their Silencer or AOW the NICS Center will kick it back.

De-facto Silencer/AOW Ban?

De-Facto Pistol Gripped Shotgun Ban (Pistol Gripped Shotguns are "Other")?

Last edited:

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Wow not even consignments? So one would have to wait 100 days to get their property back from consignment?

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    Doesn't That Last bit Mean You Aren't Supposed To Post This In A public Message Board? Not That We Don'Appreciate The Info, I Just Don't Want One Of The Good Guys Getting Flack For Keeping us Informed.

now Why Is My Phone Capitalizing Every First Letter.....

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    All this letter says to me is that they are clarifying what everyone already knows. That is that a dealer can't call NICS to get a NTN for a check on a handgun by telling them it's a consignment return, when in fact it is a sale. This is nothing new. One was never supposed to do that.

I'm don't want to get drawn into a long drawn out debate over legalities we've discussed a lot already, but in my personal opinion this doesn't affect anything but that issue. Unfortunately though, now consignees are going to have to wait over 100 days for returns, which is wrong. I don't see where it affects 8th day sales unless it's at a dealer who insists on having a NTN for a sale after 8 days.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    All this letter says to me is that they are clarifying what everyone already knows. That is that a dealer can't call NICS to get a NTN for a check on a handgun by telling them it's a consignment return, when in fact it is a sale. This is nothing new. One was never supposed to do that.

I'm don't want to get drawn into a long drawn out debate over legalities we've discussed a lot already, but in my personal opinion this doesn't affect anything but that issue.

Yes but it is new if they refuse to do reclamations. 77R every pick up of a consignment? WTF

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    People buying silencers on a Trust may not be able to get their cans since the Trustee picking up is supposed to have a NICS check done.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Yes but it is new if they refuse to do reclamations. 77R every pick up of a consignment? WTF

yep you are correct, what a bunch of nonsense

I really don't know how that's even legal for them to just make an arbitrary decision like that, but hey, we're gun owners, we have no real rights in this state---

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Doesn't the letter just say NICS won't process "other"applications that are improperly filed to circumvent the law?

Lowers shouldn't even be regulated in the first place, cash and carry to people 21 and older.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    People buying silencers on a Trust may not be able to get their cans since the Trustee picking up is supposed to have a NICS check done.
    I agree with you. This is a HUGE problem, and shame on the FFLs who were playing games with the system in order to bypass it.

That said, it seems to me like the BATFE is unaware that MD basically told FFLs to phone NICS for handgun checks.

Big Dog

Dec 16, 2012
    North East
    Don't you like the way it says delays experienced by following Maryland law? The reality is MD law allows for release if no response in 7 days so the FBI letter should have said instead of the NICS check just release on the 8th day if MSP has not finished with the application IN ACCORDANCE WITH MARYLAND LAW

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Maybe FFLs should just forego the check and send the thing out the door. It is the state's problem.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    It was only a matter of time before this happened. I'm sure MSP knew all about this and got sand in their veejay and took it to the FBI over the checks. So now everyone has to wait 100 days because MSP can't run a free lunch. Pathetic.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    I think using OTHER for a handgun would be a 'misuse' but how is calling in a handgun check after seven days a misuse? It is safer than simply letting the gun go check free which legally it seems they could do.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Personally I think the MSP condones the FFL's calling NICS it ensures at least a "minimum" check was done.
    This came from either gansler or mom

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom