• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Anyone do it? If so, do you have any tips or recommendations? I'm considering picking up a Spyderco ARK.

view.png

gizzard

Oct 30, 2012
    hagerstown
    gerber buddy system/blackie Collins buddy, lock mech is under ownership of ag russel. wont come out, but available for everyday tasks

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    I remember this making a splash on kickstarter over the summer. Not much use if you actually want to cut something, but if you're just looking for something for self defense, it might be worth considering.

https://www.trakknife.com/

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I have tried many over the years and found that they all bothered me if worn for long. Some pulled chest hair, rubbed badly, or the cord around my neck was a bit much.

That said, watch the weight closely and make sure the cord can't be used against you. Spyderco solved that issue with a plastic section in the cord which would break away at a certain tensile strength. I think I still have that one around here somewhere.

All that said, I would look hard at the Cold Steel Bird and Trout, comes on a dog tag type of chain to solve issue above. Not designed as much for defense but I liked it a lot, ring for security, light but still large enough to hold onto. Buck Smidgen is also nice but it is SMALL and thin so while a great user not a defense item. Both are priced at a point that if you don't like them you're only out $20 or so.

Lots of fakes on both of the above so make sure you order for a reputable dealer if you do go that way.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    padding would help. maybe two layers with the knife in the middle.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    Not gone running with it, but the ARK is a good knife, designed by a MD local. It was intended as a defensive knife that could be worn everywhere including in the shower by members of the military. Because of that, it's waterproof, so your sweat won't ruin it and it cleans up easily. As someone with a lot of hair, the ball-chain annoyed me, but it's there for a reason. It won't soak up water or sweat, and it will break if someone tries to strangle you with it.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Just a friendly reminder in case anyone is unaware of MD's knife laws
    http://www.knifeup.com/maryland-knife-laws/

Limits on Carry
    You can not conceal carry a throwing star, dirk, switchblade, gravity knife, or bowie knife.
    You can not open carry a throwing star, dirk, switchblade, gravity knife, or bowie knife with the intent to harm someone.
    You can open or conceal carry any sized pocket knife you wish.

IANAL

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Luckily the OP lives in Va. I have no experience with neck knives, living in Md.

I suppose I could wear it outside like a neck tie. I know wear it over a tie, and use the tie clip to keep it from flipping around. NKOC !!

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Thanks, lots of good info here. I like the H1 steel for corrosion resistance and the size of the ARK. Do I really need one? Nope, but I'm trying to justify spending $60 on a tiny knife :), and I do in 10-15 miles/week - often solo in the national forest.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I just clip a lightweight knife, like a s110v manix, to the inside of my shorts at the 4 o'clock position. It's comfy enough for me. I suppose you could always wear an armband to clip it inside of or any number of armband phone holsters if it bothers you in your shorts.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    I just clip a lightweight knife, like a s110v manix, to the inside of my shorts at the 4 o'clock position. It's comfy enough for me. I suppose you could always wear an armband to clip it inside of or any number of armband phone holsters if it bothers you in your shorts.

My Salt 1 is pretty light, may try it today on the treadmill first.

Kiwiknoll

Jan 16, 2015
    Clarksville md
    i own a crkt folts minimalist and wear it while camping or working hobbies around the house. Mine isnt for defense so musch as ready access when puttering in the woods. The handle is small, but wieldy, and the lower blade is wider than my index finger so almost 0 chance my hand will ride up onto the blade evn while carving or poking. Its also loght enough to forget you are wearing it. At first i was worried it would fall out, but it never has.

The leash is fixed rope without a breakaway, so tactically not ideal, but otherwise its an easy $25. http://http://www.budk.com/CRKT-Folts-Minimalist-Neck-Knife-17017

Kiwiknoll

Jan 16, 2015
    Clarksville md
    Fogot to mention, 2.25" blade is not considered a weapon in the federal building where i work. 2.5" would be. So this also gets deployed when i bring steak for lunch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom