• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    That's what I do:o, and he did a fantastic job of explaining what is happening. But...I'm still feeling a little (lot) lost on what to do about it...other than, "that thing you are doing...don't do that." :shrug:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Hmmm never thought about this factor!

Use a mag with live rounds and a snap cap or two mixed in, and you might find yourself pushing the gun forward on the snap cap trigger pull.

Even without snap caps, when I catch myself doing this (usually after having a long absence from the range), it really pisses me off.

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    Use a mag with live rounds and a snap cap or two mixed in, and you might find yourself pushing the gun forward on the snap cap trigger pull.

Even without snap caps, when I catch myself doing this (usually after having a long absence from the range), it really pisses me off.

I place a coin on the front post of the pistol but i consciously never thought of this natural flaw we shooters most overcome :) learn something new everday hah

Practice is perfect but shooting is always $$$ and gun ranges...

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Not an issue if you just shoot and know what happens when the gun goes off. I get new shooters used to it simply by shooting. Not worry about aiming, trigger pull, stance. Nothing but condition them somewhat to get used to recoil and a boom. Everything else is no good if the boom ruins it.

4 things happen. Good grip, (front)sight(ing), smooth trigger and a boom. Perfect shot has those things happening at the same time. Makes zero sense to have that last thing interfere with the first 3 important things. Get a new shooter used to the boom first, then they have 1 less thing to worry about and the other stuff they can concentrate on.

Defeat the fear of recoil, and welcome the defeat of fear.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I place a coin on the front post of the pistol but i consciously never thought of this natural flaw we shooters most overcome :) learn something new everday hah

Practice is perfect but shooting is always $$$ and gun ranges...

That cute little coin trick does not help someone get used to recoil. It is to work on isolating your trigger finger from your grip and working a smooth trigger.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I flinched in front of Blaster once when shooting a revolver (on the "7th" shot of a 6-shot revolver that I was shooting in double-action - it had smooth grips that I didn't like). Was so embarrassing. But he gave me good advice, similar to the above, suggesting that I first work on consistency in my double action trigger pulls (dry firing with said revolver), in a stance that was comfortable, and showed me a better grip which would be more stable during the trigger pull. :thumbsup:

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I also have benefitted from Blaster's wisdom when it comes to grip. I was shooting my Walther PPQ but, I had been shooting revolvers a lot lately. Blaster be like, "Why ya tea-cupping that thing, boy? That thing ain't no S&W Model 29! Get some meat on that grip!" The shit you do unconsciously. I had no idea. Once I stopped tea-cupping the grip on my PPQ, problem (almost) solved. I was being more consistent with shot placement afterwards.

Sometimes all it takes is for someone who knows what they're doing to identify a technical flaw, like that. Then he made me kiss a VP9 and knockout 20 pushups. Was worth it.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh

I use snap caps or just stop and dry fire a few times when I catch myself flinching. I find dry firing at the TV helpful too when I can't get to the range as often as I like. "Ball and dummy" (most call it) is another good way to train/test yourself if you have someone else with you to setup the gun.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    No . It really is trigger control.

No.

Explain how Vickers and many others shoot slapping the trigger and hit a target? No one has a finger that pushes(pulls) a pistol INCHES to either side to miss a target.
    An argument can be made that their trigger control delays them to not shoot fast enough. But a shit trigger press will still get a round on target if the muzzle is pointed at the target.

I have a shit trigger finger when I rapid fire and always hit the target. I don't anticipate or flinch.
    I teach people to learn to use the recoil as part of their shooting ritual (resetting the sight picture) AFTER I break them in on accepting recoil and not to anticipate it. This 1 thing(recoil anticipation) ruins everything you concentrate on (grip,sight,trigger) all the way up until you ruin it with anticipation.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    AFTER I break them in on accepting recoil and not to anticipate it. This 1 thing(recoil anticipation) ruins everything you concentrate on (grip,sight,trigger) all the way up until you ruin it with anticipation.

yep when i see people flinching, first, double up on ear protection. and then after they shoot, i ask did they get hurt, did the gun fly out of their hands, did it recoil back into their head, etc. obviously 'no' to all of this. nothing bad is going to happen, just embrace the recoil.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    yep when i see people flinching, first, double up on ear protection. and then after they shoot, i ask did they get hurt, did the gun fly out of their hands, did it recoil back into their head, etc. obviously 'no' to all of this. nothing bad is going to happen, just embrace the recoil.

1 round loaded at a time doesn't hurt either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom