• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I saw a. 357 P229 on consignment with some gun sale website. Description said it was an Air Marshal issue pistol.
    I e mailed the website owner and told him that was impossible. He took the pistol off.
    I guess he contacted the owner and told him nope.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    I saw a. 357 P229 on consignment with some gun sale website. Description said it was an Air Marshal issue pistol.
    I e mailed the website owner and told him that was impossible. He took the pistol off.
    I guess he contacted the owner and told him nope.

Maybe they got confused with the same kind of gun issued to an Air Marshal with a gun that was issued to an Air Marshal. :D

The serial number on those guns would be a dead give away and a pretty good indication that they will not find their way into general circulation.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Maybe they got confused with the same kind of gun issued to an Air Marshal with a gun that was issued to an Air Marshal. :D

The serial number on those guns would be a dead give away and a pretty good indication that they will not find their way into general circulation.
    No. Because the ad said he bought the pistol from the actual FAM who told him it was his issued. Which could be the case that's a total lie.
    Boy. I wonder what kind of premium mine could have brought lol

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    No. Because the ad said he bought the pistol from the actual FAM who told him it was his issued. Which could be the case that's a total lie.

I don't know about premiums but depending on the US Attorney's Office, I imagine it would have been a very interesting plea bargain. ;)

I see more DAK P229 pistols on the market than the double/single. I've never shot a DAK, but I imagine it would take some time before I gave up trying to hit the decocking lever with my thumb.

I hope to go to the range with some guys after they get their new pistols. If they actually get the Glocks with the slide cut for an RMR, I wonder how long it will be before anyone gets one installed. I think reflective red dots are the future for duty weapons, but probably not one I will live to see become universally accepted.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country

There is a lot of mystique about Federal Air Marshals. They are sort if like modern day american air ninjas. So I could see how having anything associated with Air Ninjas could could be perceived as having a higher value than a gun owned by some regular joe like me.

Maybe you could just offer to fondle peoples firearms so that can say “Firearm was once in the possession of a Federal Air Marshal”.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I don't know about premiums but depending on the US Attorney's Office, I imagine it would have been a very interesting plea bargain. ;)

I see more DAK P229 pistols on the market than the double/single. I've never shot a DAK, but I imagine it would take some time before I gave up trying to hit the decocking lever with my thumb.

I hope to go to the range with some guys after they get their new pistols. If they actually get the Glocks with the slide cut for an RMR, I wonder how long it will be before anyone gets one installed. I think reflective red dots are the future for duty weapons, but probably not one I will live to see become universally accepted.
    It's certainly one hell of a learning curve. I could never get used to it. If I did, I would have to take the iron sights off.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Air Marshals are essentially professional passengers. They're well paid but their leadership has a poor reputation and they work under very restrictive rules of dress and appearance. They have a high turnover rate. A friend was an Air Marshal for several years...he only stayed as long as he did for the money then changed to a different agency.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    There is a lot of mystique about Federal Air Marshals. They are sort if like modern day american air ninjas. So I could see how having anything associated with Air Ninjas could could be perceived as having a higher value than a gun owned by some regular joe like me.

Maybe you could just offer to fondle peoples firearms so that can say “Firearm was once in the possession of a Federal Air Marshal”.
    I never thought about it, since I was on the
    "Inside looking out" for so long. It was no big deal. But friends said differently.
    I did teach my friend's daughter shooting this weekend when they were up visiting. They were saying to her about me having been a ninja.
    So it was kind of fun. "We'll have Mr. Uncle Mike teach you"
    This kid first time picking up a pistol, after about 200 rounds, was drilling the hostage target from about 10 yards.
    I like to think I had something to do with it :)
    e9f94262db63ce3e47bb2eec02480ddc.jpg

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Air Marshals are essentially professional passengers. They're well paid but their leadership has a poor reputation and they work under very restrictive rules of dress and appearance. They have a high turnover rate. A friend was an Air Marshal for several years...he only stayed as long as he did for the money then changed to a different agency.

Their leadership today is much better than it was in 2002. Like most jobs, it isn't for everyone and just about anything can get routine and monotonous if that is all that you do. Unlike almost any other LE organization: federal, state, or local; almost everyone in the FAMS can shoot fast and accurately. Most of them are pretty handy in a medical emergency as well. Also, like most federal LE, they are paid for what they might have to do in an emergency, not what they do on a regular daily basis.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    There's not much of a dress code. Hasn't been for a long time.

Road warriors traveling for business, who get to sleep, booze it up on flights are "professional passengers", thank you very much.
    Turn over rate wasn't that bad. Early on it was, because dummies with 10 years or more experience somewhere came to work and found out they didn't like being the new guy in a strange place. And the guys with families couldn't handle the travel.

I would gladly pay a bacon cheeseburger and a beer for Blaster229 to fondle my .357 Sigs.
    I don't plan on selling them; this is for personal gratification.

Oswaldo87

Feb 1, 2020
    Frederick County
    I believe there is a petition from FLEOA to allow Fed Leos to buy back their duty guns. Probably won’t see it in time for the Sky Marshals to get in on it.
    They just piggybacked on the USSS Sig contract back in the day. They liked the 357 for windshield penetration supposedly.
    If given the choice for a slide optic on the new G19g5, I’d pass.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I believe there is a petition from FLEOA to allow Fed Leos to buy back their duty guns. Probably won’t see it in time for the Sky Marshals to get in on it.

They just piggybacked on the USSS Sig contract back in the day. They liked the 357 for windshield penetration supposedly.

If given the choice for a slide optic on the new G19g5, I’d pass.
    I would have loved to buy my Air Marshal issued 229.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Mine is probably melted down somewhere.

Probably reissued or held as a spare in the office. Have someone check the number in FAMIS.

I'm more interested in what they plan on doing with all of the SIG pistols after the switch. I can't imagine those pistols being sold off with those serial numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom