• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Okay, opinion time - steel ammo for my carbine, should I or shouldn't I?

I've only shot brass through it so far, but prices - yeah. So, are there any differences if I get, say, Tula vs Aquila or old surplus stuff? Accuracy, reliability, cleaning, etc.

Discussion begin!

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I have heard steel is hard on extractors.
    I reload GI and Aquila brass but I have had a failure using brass but then again I shoot my .30 M1 way too much.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I occasionally run steel case, it takes a lot to wear an extractor if its even measurable at all. Wouldnt run it though my most expensive, rare Carbine but wouldnt worry about the shooter grade stuff.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I don’t shoot it a ton, but I got about 400 rnds with my carbine. Down to maybe 150. I got another 100 rounds on an order because it was still dirt cheap the other day.

Anyway, I get more failures with it. With new mags, failures with brass cases ammo are rare. I think I’ve had 2 in 400-500 rounds. With steel, it tends to be about 1 in 40 or so. Generally failure to feed. I suspect it’s from a bit more friction on the case feeding out of the magazine combined with a lighter charge. POI is about 3” lower at 100yds than with PPU, IMI and Korean surplus (all which seem to shoot to the same POI give or take an inch).

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Stick with quality ammo and save yourself the headaches of the dirt, poor accuracy, and wear and tear on the gun.

Stock pile brass ammo when it is cheap or learn to reload.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Good feedback, confirms that I’ll just stick with brass. A bit more expensive, but worth it. Some day I’ll start reloading, so I can save up my cases.

Echo6mike, going mobile...

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Was shooting steel cased 30 C in a pistol a couple weeks ago with a guy at the club. Had to knock the cases out of the cylinder manually to reload probably because of spring back. It was just worth burning it up to see what it would it do.
    It was armi sport or accurate brand, AMI or something or another black and yellow/white box. Fun to shoot at a distant gong till it was gone but not worth it for wear I think.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I am not a gunsmith, just well read on the firearms I shoot alot. This is what I have run across from the M1 carbine guys at the cmp forum....

Steel Ammo has a lacquered case.

The lacquer builds up in the chamber.

M1 Carbine headspaces on the case mouth.

Too much steel case, gun fires out of battery and goes kaboom.

There are many threads on the CMP forum showing the results.

Stick to brass ammo.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I am not a gunsmith, just well read on the firearms I shoot alot. This is what I have run across from the M1 carbine guys at the cmp forum....

Stick to brass ammo.

Thanks for that!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Stick to brass ammo.

Or use a chamber brush occasionally.

BayouBengal

May 12, 2020
    Montgomery County
    I heard the stories about the lacquer from the steel cases causing issues in the carbines some years back and have been shooting brass cased only since.
    My carbine is an import from Israel that was a re-arsenaled Inland post WWII so it's definitely got "personality". Even though it's not a looker, it's by far my favorite C&R so I tend to baby it a little.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    In case anyone is debating buying from Dansammo, just do it.

I put in an order that didn't seem to work, nothing charged my card, looked weird. Waited a couple days to make sure it wasn't just lost in the email or something before I went to re-order. Emailed Dan to make sure I wouldn't double up and spend that much $$ and had a reply within 30 minutes saying "yeah, we see your order, looks like it timed out but would you like me to process it manually?"

He did, shipped it that day, and I just got a nice big can of carbine food today.

Excellent customer service, two thumbs up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom