• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Either one is fine, but I'd take 6.5. Just a few thoughts...

- margin of error
    While .308 works out at 1k, the trajectory of 6.5 is superior and gives more room for error in your adjustments, including uncontrollable variables.

-cost
    When comparing match grade .308 and 6.5cm it's not much different

-cost of rifle
    With the 6.5 Ruger American out now, cost of a fancy rifle isn't a concern these days when you can get a Ruger for $380 online.

-barrel life
    Looks like the 6.5 barrel may expire at about 3k rounds. I'm a bit turned off by that, but the cost of replacement isn't bad.

-recoil
    6.5 Even in a lightweight config is easy on the shoulder after 100+ rounds in a day.

-energy
    Just as good at killing game as .308

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    -barrel life
    Looks like the 6.5 barrel may expire at about 3k rounds. I'm a bit turned off by that, but the cost of replacement isn't bad.

Your average person won't hit that for years. Hitting events, zeroing, and not practicing much I haven't shot more than 700 rounds 6.5CM in two seasons/years.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    I plan on getting both.. I’ve been reading a bunch and it seems like my immediate need both are fine but heavily favoring the .308 based on being able to get subsonic ammo shooting suppressed and shooting under 450-500 yards max..
    I will absolutely have a 6.5cm down the line just to have it and satisfy that 500-1000yd+ rifle in my collection

Attachments

• 41812726-7604-4CE8-97D8-A6D85723DE6F.jpeg
      41812726-7604-4CE8-97D8-A6D85723DE6F.jpeg
      22.4 KB · Views: 165

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Your average person won't hit that for years. Hitting events, zeroing, and not practicing much I haven't shot more than 700 rounds 6.5CM in two seasons/years.

I agree. If I had my own land I might, but right now it's rare I get to shoot far enough to justify any long range setup.

400 yards in I just use .223 anyway.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I agree. If I had my own land I might, but right now it's rare I get to shoot far enough to justify any long range setup.

400 yards in I just use .223 anyway.

My dilemma. Furthest out I go with any regularity is 200yds. Granted I’ve onky been shooting. A few years, but I hit up Delmarva sporting clays about once a year to shoot 300 and 500yds.

I have a 6.5g AR-15 for an AR deer hunting platform. All ranges I can shoot at .223 is fine. I can use 6.5g if I want now. I’ll probably get a 6.5g bolt gun (cz or Howa) to have something with a little higher velocity/longer Barrel, but light recoiling for longer range work and deer hunting.

I’ll build my AR-10 lower in to a .308 rifle eventually. 6.5CM scratches a “be like the cool kids” itch. If that. Eventually as my
    Kids grow up I’ll have some more time and can drive places to do real long range shooting. Hell, I shoot my 20” Ar-15 in .223 more than any other rifle I own (probably more than my 10/22, at least lately) and in more than a year of owning it I doubt I’ve put 500 rounds through it.

Barrel life isn’t much consideration for me on bigger calibers.

mesmithwesson

Jan 8, 2013
    Why not 300 Win-mag? Speed-got it. Power-got it. Range-got it. Suppressors and subsonic ammo are available, but why?

If you want to go suppressed just to say you can do it in a .30 cal, get an AR in 300 BO.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    My dilemma. Furthest out I go with any regularity is 200yds. Granted I’ve onky been shooting. A few years, but I hit up Delmarva sporting clays about once a year to shoot 300 and 500yds.

I have a 6.5g AR-15 for an AR deer hunting platform. All ranges I can shoot at .223 is fine. I can use 6.5g if I want now. I’ll probably get a 6.5g bolt gun (cz or Howa) to have something with a little higher velocity/longer Barrel, but light recoiling for longer range work and deer hunting.

I’ll build my AR-10 lower in to a .308 rifle eventually. 6.5CM scratches a “be like the cool kids” itch. If that. Eventually as my
    Kids grow up I’ll have some more time and can drive places to do real long range shooting. Hell, I shoot my 20” Ar-15 in .223 more than any other rifle I own (probably more than my 10/22, at least lately) and in more than a year of owning it I doubt I’ve put 500 rounds through it.

Barrel life isn’t much consideration for me on bigger calibers.

6.5g should be fine for you. A lot of people are using it for long range shooting.

One word of advice is to stick with what you know. If you're trying to run 10 different calibers, with God knows how many different loadings, you'll never get used to your dope charts and learn the round.

I'm still a novice. I find .223 easy to shoot up to 600 yards with 77gr SMK. The real problem I encountered is that tiny variables affect the .223 way more. Temperature. Even changing a lot number of ammo made me miss by a lot at 700yards. Still, I lobbed a few and nade hits at 900y...not many. The 6.5cm was like a freaking laser beam in comparrison. I felt like I couldn't miss. That is, until the wind picked up.

Still, less than 600y and I'd feel confident with .223 as long as I'm running 75-77gr ammo and it wasn't extremely windy.

The point is, you don't really need a fancy 6.5cm rifle to shoot far.

You should make the drive down to Bang Steel for a course!

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    I'm still a novice. I find .223 easy to shoot up to 600 yards with 77gr SMK.

Yep, this. The heavy match type stuff is easy mode up until the stated range, from thereon I have much more difficulty with the wind. Similar to how 55gr bulk ammo behaves once you push 300 yards, it just gets a little unpredictable at my skill level.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I went with a 22" 6.5CM in the Ruger American Predator. Barrel comes pre-threaded for a can and there are long range shooters putting good glass on these and taking them out to 1,000yards and beyond. Drop $200 on a Boyd's stock and you will have a real shooter.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    My vote is for the 308. I've got a ruger gunsite scout in 308. 16 inch barrel. It does everything I need it to do better than I can do it. 300 yards is as far as I care to shoot.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have seen 6.5CM barrels in SEMI Autos that are shot suppressed that had high levels of throat erosion around the 1k round mark. This counts for visual examination via a Hawkeye bore scope and a T.E.Gage from PTG.

6.5CM Bolt Gun Barrels shot at a slower cadence last 2x from what I have obeserved.

If you are ok with that and the ammo being less common then 6.5CM isn't awful.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I went with a 22" 6.5CM in the Ruger American Predator. Barrel comes pre-threaded for a can and there are long range shooters putting good glass on these and taking them out to 1,000yards and beyond. Drop $200 on a Boyd's stock and you will have a real shooter.

You don't even need all that with the predator.

Just get a 12x for $299
    Carve away any part of the stick that's touching the barrel with a hacksaw

Done.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I have seen 6.5CM barrels in SEMI Autos that are shot suppressed that had high levels of throat erosion around the 1k round mark. This counts for visual examination via a Hawkeye bore scope and a T.E.Gage from PTG.

6.5CM Bolt Gun Barrels shot at a slower cadence last 2x from what I have obeserved.

If you are ok with that and the ammo being less common then 6.5CM isn't awful.

Yeah, I get paranoid about that but in reality I'm going to take a while to get there.

I'm not sure how cheap it is to replace the Ruger barrels or if I just should get a new rifle for $350 when the time comes

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom