Why does anyone need 30 round magazines or an AR15?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Ask her why she needs her evening glass of wine or a weekend cocktail. Then followup by asking how many people including children are killed each year by drunk drivers. When she counters that she doesn't drive drunk point out that you don't use your 30 rounders and ar15 for mass shootings.

They don't punish or restrict law abiding drinkers, shouldn't law abiding gun owners get the same respect.

N3uka

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2013
    College Park
    Because it is better to have them and not need them
    Then to need them and not have them.

Hope they don't see my 100 rounder :D

Lemon328i

Mar 21, 2010
    We don't blame all Muslims for the acts of a few terrorists. We don't blame all Catholic priests for the acts of a few child molesters. We don't blame all law enforcement for the few who are corrupt. Why is it okay to blame all law abiding gun owners for the acts of criminals?

In the absence of proving that the standard capacity magazine is inherently dangerous, true Americans should value the freedom to choose higher or lower capacity magazines to fit their specific desires. If law enforcement (who are ALL civilians except for the few who are military police) can have them for self defense, then all citizens should have them for self-defense. i personally like the Surefire 60 round magazines - less reloading at the range!

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Is it me or are these conversations hopeless and useless? To people who navigate by their "feelings" you are bringing apples to an orange-squeezing. What you are bringing is not welcome and no amount of discussion will change your apples into oranges for them.

The closest you got was talking about her 300+ horsepower Lexus...

That site seems to ban anyone who is pro-gun.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    Why does anyone need an AR15?

Why does anyone need a gun that holds 30 rounds?

Recently had a conversation with a lady – said she was a Republican and was pro-gun, she said she supports others right to own a gun, but did not own any herself and had no interest in shooting one – she went on to ask “why does anyone need a gun that shoots 30 bullets.”

I asked her what kind of car she drove, she said a “Lexus.” I said “why do you need a Lexus, why not drive a Yugo?” She responded “I can afford it, I like the comfort, it’s what I wanted and it’s my choice.” I said “EXACTLY, why deny someone their choice of firearm?” She looked at me like the RCA Victor dog and said “do you really need 30 bullets to kill someone?” I did not want to get in the complexities of “Defence against tyranny etc…” The conversation continued …

I’m looking for some good comments that will make sense to the ignorant as to why anyone would want or need an AR15 or standard capacity magazines.

Please no wise cracks I really want some subtle, informative statements that will make others think and perhaps persuade them to open their minds and alter their thinking.

Ranges charge for time. I'd like to spend the time at the range shooting instead of reloading my magazines.

If a single person invaded my home I probably wouldn't need 30 rounds. But if multiple people did then I just might.

Police use them when they are looking for a bad guy. If the bad guy comes looking for you, wouldn't you want them?

Turn the question around. Why do you need a car that can go over the speed limit?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I’m looking for some good comments that will make sense to the ignorant as to why anyone would want or need an AR15 or standard capacity magazines.

Ask her how she would defend herself and any family if riots/anarchy ever erupt and droves of undesirables are headed towards her home, eager to pillage, plunder, burn, batter, and very possibly murder. Any reasonable expectation for response by law enforcement would be out of the window. She would be on her own to sink or swim, to literally live or die trying. It's a screwed-up world. Very bad things happen all the time.

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Ask a person if in the event of need of a medical procedure they'd prefer to barely survive an operation or they'd want as much to go right as possible.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Why does anyone need an AR15?

Why does anyone need a gun that holds 30 rounds?

Recently had a conversation with a lady – said she was a Republican and was pro-gun, she said she supports others right to own a gun, but did not own any herself and had no interest in shooting one – she went on to ask “why does anyone need a gun that shoots 30 bullets.”

I asked her what kind of car she drove, she said a “Lexus.” I said “why do you need a Lexus, why not drive a Yugo?” She responded “I can afford it, I like the comfort, it’s what I wanted and it’s my choice.” I said “EXACTLY, why deny someone their choice of firearm?” She looked at me like the RCA Victor dog and said “do you really need 30 bullets to kill someone?” I did not want to get in the complexities of “Defence against tyranny etc…” The conversation continued …

Please no wise cracks I really want some subtle, informative statements that will make others think and perhaps persuade them to open their minds and alter their thinking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R3uLTnzs60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKlmZQVcXHU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeQiVBvy0m0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9_RvgO7tOg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e96T7rW2OWM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKk45i9DzDA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C-CLsMRcA0

scroll down to the gun control/laws section:

http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/2012/12/20/an-opinion-on-gun-control/

http://kontradictions.wordpress.com...ew-the-assault-weapons-ban-well-ill-tell-you/

Anotherpyr

Ultimate Member
    Why a Lexus and not a Yugo? And why a 20+ gallon fuel tank and not a 5 gallon one? And what if you learned that Yugos killed more people each year than Lexus have in the last 20? You'd ban Lexus with 20+ gallon tanks right?

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    Choice. Pure and simple. As a defender of our constitutional 2A right, one person may choose to use a ten round magazine, another may want to use a 20 or 30 round magazine. Invite her to go shooting with you, even if she doesn't want to actually shoot, she can reload the magazines as you empty them.

As most folks have said here, time is a factor when practicing at the range. It's all about choice and preferences. Good luck.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Just a heads up to all the people comparing guns to cars in this argument. You are doomed to fail. This comparison is pretty poor and the majority of the time anti rights activists will respond back, “We are unlimited in car choice because cars are not designed to kill people. Why do you need a more efficient murder machine when 10 rounds will do just fine?”

That is why I feel that it is much better to explain to them why you need 30 rounds (Missed shots, multiple targets, etc) and why you need a highly customizable firearm, such as the AR-15.

Also, just saying, “It is my right” doesn’t work either. They don’t care about your rights nor do they believe that you even have these rights. The constitution is just a piece of paper to them and the fact that multiple European nations, aka what they want to be, have outlawed guns means to them that it is not an inalienable right.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    A couple of years ago, I stopped an assault that was being perpetrated by gang members on my son and his GF , on my front yard. they were followed home from a night out at National Harbor.

I used a PS90 SBR for this. facing an armed gang of 8-10 badguys by myself. that 50 round magazine gave me a bit of comfort. The appearance of a high capacity semi automatic rifle was enough to diffuse the situation, so that We can give our statements to the Police.. Who came hours later.

Takeway is.... When you actually have to use a gun to defend life or limb... You wont have time to kit up. You will have very little time to respond. no extra mags, no tactical anything.. Its just you , the weapon you deciided to take and hopefully.... God's favor

So is a 30 round mag excessive? Not really. For magazine capacity limits are not proprtionate to the number of badguys that you will have to fight in a SHTF scenario.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=80925&highlight=Ps90

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    A couple of years ago, I stopped an assault that was being perpetrated by gang members on my son and his GF , on my front yard. they were followed home from a night out at National Harbor.

I used a PS90 SBR for this. facing an armed gang of 8-10 badguys by myself. that 50 round magazine gave me a bit of comfort. The appearance of a high capacity semi automatic rifle was enough to diffuse the situation, so that We can give our statements to the Police.. Who came hours later.

Takeway is.... When you actually have to use a gun to defend life or limb... You wont have time to kit up. You will have very little time to respond. no extra mags, no tactical anything.. Its just you , the weapon you deciided to take and hopefully.... God's favor

So is a 30 round mag excessive? Not really. For magazine capacity limits are not proprtionate to the number of badguys that you will have to fight in a SHTF scenario.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=80925&highlight=Ps90

:thumbsup: good post. Yes God was with you too. for my AR I have several 2 30 round mags taped together.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    ...snip

Also, just saying, “It is my right” doesn’t work either. They don’t care about your rights nor do they believe that you even have these rights. The constitution is just a piece of paper to them and the fact that multiple European nations, aka what they want to be, have outlawed guns means to them that it is not an inalienable right.

I agree they don't care about "rights", but it's largely because of the mistaken assumption that we're weighing "rights vs lives". They buy into the thought that "yes we'd obviously be more safe, but we have these blowhards yelling about their rights and that damn amendment".

If they knew that magazine limits wouldn't make anyone safer, or reduce the casualties of mass shootings no one (sane) would ask why you need a 30 rounder.... They fail to grasp that ANY firearm that is suitable for self defense in the hands of a madman in a classroom with one door and a room full of little kids would have the same result as Newtown. The death toll was higher at VA Tech. That was two handguns, but you never heard about tech last winter. Likewise the death toll at the Navy Yard wasn't lower because he had a shotgun instead of an AR, it was lower because of the layout of the buidings and escape routes....

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I agree they don't care about "rights", but it's largely because of the mistaken assumption that we're weighing "rights vs lives". They buy into the thought that "yes we'd obviously be more safe, but we have these blowhards yelling about their rights and that damn amendment".

I disagree, it's about nothing other the control/self-preservation among the ruling class (both the republican and democratic parties).

If politicians cared about lives, then why would they feverishly protect abortion?

It's about control, and making the populace dependent on government. They want us to become a new serfdom.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I disagree, it's about nothing other the control/self-preservation among the ruling class (both the republican and democratic parties).

If politicians cared about lives, then why would they feverishly protect abortion?

It's about control, and making the populace dependent on government. They want us to become a new serfdom.

There are definitely those, and they would ask "why do you need more than a musket". I should have clarified I was talking about folks like the OP described who say they are in favor of firearms and self defense, but have only really heard one side of the issue and mistakenly believe its a safety vs liberty debate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom