• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I have the possible opportunity to get a China Lake 4 round pump action 40mm grenade launcher. They want somewhere over $15K for it.

Not sure it is worth that much. I know they are rare though.

I already have an M203 launcher. This would be more of a novelty item and chat piece.

Any thoughts?

Dave

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Obviously, China Lake launchers come up so infrequently that market pricing is hard to establish. I've seen them offered in that range, so I guess it's not the craziest price I've ever heard.

Weren't there some repros created back in like 2010? That would be my main concern with buying one. There's very few authentic ones on the registry, albeit more could be added via repros (which is the biggest risk with DDs).

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    well I've never heard of one of these till now...

Now I want...

You should buy it if you have the means and they are that rare.

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    Lol

If you shoot an intruder in the nuts with a M203 chalk round, 60% of the time he leaves everytime.

Buy it! No idea about a good price but it looks really cool.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    How much are you really going to shoot the launcher? Or are more interested in this from a collecting and investment standpoint? I would add another MG to the collection before picking up another launcher. Here are a few MG suggestions, not already in your collection: Thompson, 10/22 Pack, HK sear.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    How much are you really going to shoot the launcher? Or are more interested in this from a collecting and investment standpoint? I would add another MG to the collection before picking up another launcher. Here are a few MG suggestions, not already in your collection: Thompson, 10/22 Pack, HK sear.

You really know how to confuse a guy! :D

The HK Sear and 10/22 Pack are on my short list and so is a select fire AK47. Just saw this and thought it was neat. Turns out the ones being sold are replicas and not the original real deal. Might pass for now and look for something on my short list.

Dave

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Buy it all. I don't know of anyone who has lost money on a Class III weapon. Just like money in the bank!

Feb 9, 2014
    You have access most likely to 1 of the 8 Reproduction China Lakes remaining on the registry in the U.S. and they only want a little over 15K for it? Something doesn't seem right.....Vaughn at Auto weapons has at least 5 of them going for at least 30K each. But if you have a China Lake and it is a Original Vietnam era made by the Navy in 1968 I will give you $100,000.00 in a cashiers check for it by confirming the serial and markings on the receiver proving its a 1968 NAWS original.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    You have access most likely to 1 of the 8 Reproduction China Lakes remaining on the registry in the U.S. and they only want a little over 15K for it? Something doesn't seem right.....Vaughn at Auto weapons has at least 5 of them going for at least 30K each. But if you have a China Lake and it is a Original Vietnam era made by the Navy in 1968 I will give you $100,000.00 in a cashiers check for it by confirming the serial and markings on the receiver proving its a 1968 NAWS original.

Not sure how many Autoweapons has but they are reproduction and he is asking $15+K for them last time I inquired about one.

Dave

Feb 9, 2014
    Well then you Sir have found a prototype Gem if it turns out to be a Canal Side Guns (CSG) Launcher and a steal at 15K. The only companies involved in the military contract race for a Mil-Spec China Lake were Airtronic with Trident.... A 2 Million dollar deal spent alone on researching and engineering the old system all over again, The two companies were in a major legal battle and eventually all repro launchers were destroyed by a court order according to Mary Lou Ellen the CEO of Airtronic. The only competition to them during the timeline for a Mil-Spec manufacturer that built them was CSG. As far as I know the CSG had 10 of them for prototypes repro's but only 8 of them were completed in full during the race and the Marine Corps went with the MGL Launcher and scrapped the China Lake Launcher contract shortly after allowing the CSG version to be sold to the public openly for the 8 launchers. Also Alfred F. Kermode was the original designer of the China Lake Launcher and he has patents on its design that are now owned by the U.S. Gov, so you wont see too many more of the launchers allowed to be reproduced in the future unless the Gov leases the patented rights. Heres a copy of the Patents on that launcher. https://www.google.com/patents/US3435549 If the repro turns out not to be a CSG stay the hell away from it as it has some serious red tapes that may end up as patent infringement and violations, civil law suits and possibly even fed charges and seizure. Dave, If you buy it and it is a CSG please posts some pictures of the launcher, I always enjoy seeing the rarities of the gun industry.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Well then you Sir have found a prototype Gem if it turns out to be a Canal Side Guns (CSG) Launcher and a steal at 15K. The only companies involved in the military contract race for a Mil-Spec China Lake were Airtronic with Trident.... A 2 Million dollar deal spent alone on researching and engineering the old system all over again, The two companies were in a major legal battle and eventually all repro launchers were destroyed by a court order according to Mary Lou Ellen the CEO of Airtronic. The only competition to them during the timeline for a Mil-Spec manufacturer that built them was CSG. As far as I know the CSG had 10 of them for prototypes repro's but only 8 of them were completed in full during the race and the Marine Corps went with the MGL Launcher and scrapped the China Lake Launcher contract shortly after allowing the CSG version to be sold to the public openly for the 8 launchers. Also Alfred F. Kermode was the original designer of the China Lake Launcher and he has patents on its design that are now owned by the U.S. Gov, so you wont see too many more of the launchers allowed to be reproduced in the future unless the Gov leases the patented rights. Heres a copy of the Patents on that launcher. https://www.google.com/patents/US3435549 If the repro turns out not to be a CSG stay the hell away from it as it has some serious red tapes that may end up as patent infringement and violations, civil law suits and possibly even fed charges and seizure. Dave, If you buy it and it is a CSG please posts some pictures of the launcher, I always enjoy seeing the rarities of the gun industry.

Will see if they are still available and ask if they are CSG made. If I do get it I will certainly post pics of it. Will take it to the range and let some folks fire it as well.

Dave

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD

I agree with this guy! :thumbsup:

Feb 9, 2014
    Yeah I wouldn't touch them with a 1 mile pole. If they could prove they received leasing rights from the gov for the patents i would be curious enough to confirm with the contract paperwork. Otherwise it may turn out to be a China something not a exact milspec reproduction as they would have to design its internals and action without the patent infringements and then who knows what type of Frankenstein launcher it is.

Feb 9, 2014
    I know this post is late but figure I would share what I learned about ASI or Armament Services International. Fake China Lake Grenade Launchers marked as ASI mfg'd were built by Vahan Kelerchian from Auto Weapons. He received an original repro Trident China Lake Grenade Launcher whether or not marked CSG to illegally copy the design without proper registration and marked the launchers he illegally reproduced with his ASI marking. He is going to be in Federal Courts for a long time. Vahan is currently serving Federal Prison time for over 8 years for one of the other bad deals he did with his licenses which are also no longer. He filed an appeal that was thrown in the trash by the judge and the ATF seized his inventory as his wife was not allowed to keep it eigther by aiding and abetting. CAUTION: whoever is running autoweapons only accepts check or money orders now..... Alot of frauds out there but this is a big one. Heres a link, https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pe...se-to-keep-business-going.html?outputType=amp

Last edited:

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    ... He received an original repro Trident China Lake Grenade Launcher whether or not marked CSG to illegally copy the design without proper registration and marked the launchers he illegally reproduced with his ASI marking.....

Original repro... I like that! ;) How does one illegally copy the design of a company that did not even invent the design in the first place? Its my understanding that Trident did not own the design either. To my knowledge this would have happened long after any patents on the actual original design were expired. I am not saying you are wrong but what you wrote does not seem to make any sense to me. At the very least it does not seem much different than a Kimber 1911 (or any other non-Colt, commercial gun). Sure ASI guy might have gotten into trouble but that might not make his gun bad...

I could not find any info on the ASI China lake Repros. Anyone have any links? I mean if its shooting and in good working order, I might see this being worth the money, not that I would buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom