• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Looks to be set up for a free float rail or handguard. With that low profile gas block just about any free float rail should go right on.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I'd be less concerned with the gas block (likely plenty of clearance) than the barrel nut. Some free float handguards require a proprietary barrel nut. If you get one of those you'll need to remove/replace the barrel nut.... which is more work and tools.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I'd be less concerned with the gas block (likely plenty of clearance) than the barrel nut. Some free float handguards require a proprietary barrel nut. If you get one of those you'll need to remove/replace the barrel nut.... which is more work and tools.

That's what I am getting at; can you remove the barrel nut w/o removing the gas block?

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    So I can't knock out the pin holding the gas tube and slide it out, and leave the gas block in place?

Nope gas block will not fit through the barrel nut.

I would check witht he manufacturer on which handguards they carry will fit that barrel nut.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Looks to me like a standard barrel nut.

There are many manufacturers that make hanguards for a standard barrel nut and will slide over the gas block. None should require removing the gas block. The standard magpul forend comes to mind.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    You will need to remove the gas block/muzzle device to mount most ANY handguard. The barrel nut is just a mil-spec that few handguards fit, almost all use a proprietary nut, it also lacks the FSB and hardware for 2 peice M4 guards. Good thing is the gas block doesn't look to be pinned, only held with set screws, so really easy to mark the block's position with a sharpie, back out the screws, pull the block with attatched gas tube, and muzzle device. You need a vise, upper block/BEV block, and armorer's wrench at minimum, pull the factory nut, install the handguard nut to proper torque/position(most need to be timed or include shims), reinstall the gas block, check for gas tube alignment with the carrier, reinstall the muzzle device, then the handguards.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    This is the simplest free float handguard option I found. It requires no rifle modifications of any kind.

https://danieldefense.com/omega-rail-7-0-carbine.html

Hard to tell from the video, but it looks like you need the delta ring and A2 front sight/gas block?

The Stag Bones has a low pro gas block and no delta ring, so I am not sure if the DD will go on. Either way... Midwest, Troy and a others make one that will slide right on and utilize the standard barrel nut.

RJRjr

Aug 26, 2017
    cecil county
    I have a Troy 13" Alpha rail on a rifle. Works with the standard barrel nut Also have a Fortis REV 2 That works with a standard barrel nut. Not sure if the REV 2 Is still available.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Hey! I just realized that if you are putting on a new barrel nut, you can just remove the gas tube after knocking out the pin, slide it out, loosen the barrel nut, take the barrel off. Slide new barrel nut on the barrel , and then re-attach. The gas block can stay on. Am I missing something?

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    Hey! I just realized that if you are putting on a new barrel nut, you can just remove the gas tube after knocking out the pin, slide it out, loosen the barrel nut, take the barrel off. Slide new barrel nut on the barrel , and then re-attach. The gas block can stay on. Am I missing something?

Wont work, barrel nut has to come off the front of the barrel. (else it wouldnt be able to hold the barrel against the receiver.)

If the gas block isnt pinned, and uses set screws just use a pencil or sharpie or something to make a witness mark or 2 on both the gas block and barrel right next to it. Then remove the muzzle device (flash hider, compensator, whatever), loosen the set screws on the gas block (but leave the gas tube pinned in place) and slide the gas block and then barrel nut off the front of the barrel. Then reverse the process being sure to line up the witness marks again to re-assemble.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I think it's way easier just to remove the gas block with the gas tube than to remove the roll pin and put it back in. You may or may not damage the roll pin. The gas block on the other hand slides right off.

Also... see above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom