Hagerstown
    kimber311.jpg

One of these!!! :-)

Kimber 82G

Krief

Hillbilly Lead Slinger
    Feb 9, 2013
    W. MD
    As many others have said, the Ruger 10/22 is a great way to start. I've had one for over 25 years. It was my first rifle. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Although, right now, they may be a little hard to find. I was trying to find one for my son, but he didn't want to wait and bought a Savage Mk II. All I can say is, I am quite impressed with it. I can shoot almost shoot the same size groups with the Mk II with open sights as I can my 10/22 with a scope at 25 yards. Very accurate.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    With the prices and the rarity of finding 22LR ammo get a bolt action. It slows you down. If I had a 10/22 I would burn up some ammo.

I have a Savage Mark II FVXP with accutriggger and heavy barrel.

http://www.savagearms.com/accuracy/accutrigger

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVXP

You are able to make adjustment to the pull think it's from (1.5 lbs -5 lbs) with small tool they provide. You do not need a gunsmith. The only draw backs I found is a few dollars more then a Martin and the mags are only 5 or 10 rounds. When I'm target shooting 10 rounds is all I need. The old saying goings you get what you pay for, in this case its true with the Mark II FVXP

I got it for $260 and it was worth it.

Last edited:

matt1

Feb 5, 2013
    anne arundel county md
    Ive got a Ruger 10/22, Marlin 60 and Rem 597. The marlin 60 is the most accurate but the 10 22 is fun... 597 is really sweet too. It really doesnt have as many jamming issues as the reviews on the web seem to all say.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    The Ruger 10/22 or a Savage Mark II are great choices.

I would also suggest sending her to a WOMEN ON TARGET rifle clinic. There are some coming up at the AGC sponsored by Monumental Rifle and Pistol Club.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Don't let her shoot an S&W AR15-22 before you actually buy something because if you do she likely will not want anything else. And definitely don't let her know they are available in Pink Platinum. It is the popularity of rifles like this that are causing the current shortage in .22LR ammo. So please steer her to something that is not as much fun as the 15-22, like a Ruger 10/22, Rem 597, or Marlin 60.

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    All good answers.

I've had good luck with a Mossberg 702 Plinkster. $107 at Walmart and takes a 25 round mag (if you can find it). Iron sites are protected on the front with a shroud and the rear is adjustable for elevation AND windage. It's got an 18" barrel so easy to handle too.

Also have a Savage MkII bolt and M&P15-22 which are great shooters too.

Last edited:

pskryja

Apr 5, 2009
    Baltimore, MD
    Savage Mark II definitely! It is a great rifle. I have others, but my Savage was my first and I love it. They also come for "lefties", which mine is.:) Something also to consider is having your wife attend a Women On Target rifle clinic. She will receive training and try a variety of rifles. There is one coming up on April 13th in Marriottsville.

Gunlawyer

Jan 18, 2013
    Knoxville, MD
    As others have said already, based upon what you are looking for, it is really hard to beat a 10/22 type set up. There are a LOT of affordable options to go with, with about every imaginable accessory. You can get quite fancy if the mood strikes you. Your wife will love it! Especially if you stick a can on it.

Here is a Short-Barreled Rifle 10/22 (uses a stainless Volq. 10/22 type receiver) "Pocket Rifle" I built from the ground up. The parts are all plug-n-play, like Legos for adults. You will have fun sourcing the components that work for you and putting it all together. Suppressed with Aguila SSS 60 gr. rounds it is Holywood quiet:

Pocket%20Rifle%20Right%20Side.JPG

Pocket%20Rifle%20w_%20can%20and%20extended%20stock.JPG

So my vote is to pick a 10/22 up that suits you, there are many options, and/or build one from the ground up as a fun project!

Have fun and stay safe and let us know what you end up going with!

Chris

drewhall

May 29, 2009
    Maryland
    Just got a Remington 597. Myself and the old lady love it. At first she wasn't sure about the purchase,(Don't you have enough????) but after shooting it she exclaimed how much she enjoys shooting it and glad we have it now. I have shot a 10/22 on a couple occasions, I can't tell a huge difference in quality and the 597 seems to be more consistently accurate than I remember with the Ruger. It was bone stock, don't know how well it was sighted in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom