• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    While picking up some fishing gear at WalMart I spotted 2 100rd 12G 7 1/2 shotgun shell cases. At the register the cashier said I didn't know we sold this, I laughed and said me either!!!!!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    While picking up some fishing gear at WalMart I spotted 2 100rd 12G 7 1/2 shotgun shell cases. At the register the cashier said I didn't know we sold this, I laughed and said me either!!!!!

I have not seen those boxes at a Walmart in the last 4 months I've been looking.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV

It's April already?

I have not seen those boxes at a Walmart in the last 4 months I've been looking.

I've never seen ammo at a WalMart in DC, so I don't know how it got there but they were just sitting there on the desk in the Sporting goods dept. I'm thinking about making a photo copy of my firearm registration card and taping it to my front door for when DC SWAT comes a knocking.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay

I have picked up four of the 100 round 12 gauge boxes lately. I have three Walmarts near to me and I am out and about early in the morning and find it. I got a bunch of 22 stinger lately also. I have found out that post stores either put the little bit of ammo they get in in late evenings or in middle of night. They stock shelves all night long. If you have a Walmart close then try getting there when they open and you will be surprised as a small bunches of ammo still pops up. I have seen 300 BO, 350 Legend, 222, 450 Bushmaster, 22 bricks and 100 round sleeves and Plenty of 12, 20, and 28 gauge. Also a few boxes of 410. I have seen people pop up right in front of me and buy everything they have. Yes the one guy bought all the 22 they had one morning and was four types of CCI. He paid like $300 for all the 22. I never buy it all. I leave some for others.

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    The last time I bought from Walmart, maybe 3 months ago, the cashier took my drivers license information. She said that it was store policy.
    This must be new a year ago they didn’t. This was the Glen Burnie store.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    The last time I bought from Walmart, maybe 3 months ago, the cashier took my drivers license information. She said that it was store policy.

Should have told her to FO.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Lol

And you got stopped by po po leaving the parking lot. Lol

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    How is this legal? I thought mere possession of ammo within city limits was illegal without the appropriate permit?

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    Should have told her to FO.

I look at it this way, in MD you need an HQL to buy a handgun and you need ID to purchase a long gun.
    I have no issue with ID to show that you are 21 or older to buy ammo.

As it was, Walmart was pulling ammunition off their shelves for a number of reasons. And a number of members were scrounging around for 12ga ammo.

I purposely bought the only 2 boxes of shells that they had, and sold them to a member at cost.

And I would do it again to help out another member.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    I look at it this way, in MD you need an HQL to buy a handgun and you need ID to purchase a long gun.
    I have no issue with ID to show that you are 21 or older to buy ammo.

As it was, Walmart was pulling ammunition off their shelves for a number of reasons. And a number of members were scrounging around for 12ga ammo.

I purposely bought the only 2 boxes of shells that they had, and sold them to a member at cost.
    A person should no more have to show ID to buy ammo, than to buy Sudafed. Oh, wait ....

Brian Frosh approves of the bolded above.

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    A person should no more have to show ID to buy ammo, than to buy Sudafed. Oh, wait ....

Brian Frosh approves of the bolded above.

No you shouldn’t have to , but it’s their store, their rules, and in some cases state laws. It is what it is.
    We wear masks for the same reasons.

No one makes you buy from stores that enforce their rules and regulations.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    No you shouldn’t have to , but it’s their store, their rules, and in some cases state laws. It is what it is.
    We wear masks for the same reasons.

No one makes you buy from stores that enforce their rules and regulations.
    True.

I wear a mask in stores as I respect private property rights, and I have a terrible habit of 3 meals a day. :)

I guess I was focusing on your "I have no issue". I do have an issue, but I need to buy food. I would not show ID in Walmart to buy ammo.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    How is this legal? I thought mere possession of ammo within city limits was illegal without the appropriate permit?

I've purchased ammo from WalMart and other stores in MD and VA so what would be the difference in them selling it to me than the DC WalMart?

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV

Cashier just wanted your address so come rob you for ammo at a later date!!!!

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I've purchased ammo from WalMart and other stores in MD and VA so what would be the difference in them selling it to me than the DC WalMart?

uhm what you observed and need in original post was violation of at least four laws including zoning.

1) it was not locked up
    1)§ 7–2504.07. Display of firearms or ammunition by dealers; security; employees of dealers.
    (a) No licensed dealer shall display any firearm or ammunition in windows visible from a street or sidewalk. All firearms, destructive devices, and ammunition shall be kept at all times in a securely locked place affixed to the premises except when being shown to a customer, being repaired, or otherwise being worked on.

(b) No licensee shall knowingly employ any person in his establishment if such person would not be eligible to register a firearm under this unit.

2) no one can sell, transfer give or loan ammo unless they are an FFL. The Walmart in DC is not according to BATFE.

Section 7-2506.01. Persons permitted to possess ammunition.
    (a) No person shall possess ammunition in the District of Columbia unless:
    (1) He is a licensed dealer pursuant to subchapter IV of this unit;
    (2) He is an officer, agent, or employee of the District of Columbia or the United States of America, on duty and acting
    within the scope of his duties when possessing such ammunition;
    (3) He is the holder of a valid registration certificate for a firearm pursuant to subchapter II of this chapter; except, that
    no such person shall possess one or more restricted pistol bullets;
    (4) He holds an ammunition collector's certificate on September 24, 1976; or
    (5) He temporarily possesses ammunition while participatingin a firearms training and safety class conducted by a
    firearms instructor.

§ 7–2505.02. Permissible sales and transfers.
    (a) Any person or organization eligible to register a firearm may sell or otherwise transfer ammunition or any firearm, except those which are unregisterable under § 7-2502.02, to a licensed dealer.

(b) Any licensed dealer may sell or otherwise transfer:

(1) Ammunition, excluding one or more restricted pistol bullets, and any firearm or destructive device which is lawfully a part of such licensee’s inventory, to any nonresident person or business licensed under the acts of Congress and the jurisdiction where such person resides or conducts such business;

(2) Ammunition, including one or more restricted pistol bullets, and any firearm or destructive device which is lawfully a part of such licensee’s inventory to:

(A) Any other licensed dealer;

(B) Any law enforcement officer or agent of the District or the United States of America when such officer or agent is on duty, and acting within the scope of his duties when acquiring such firearm, ammunition, or destructive device, if the officer or agent has in his possession a statement from the head of his agency stating that the item is to be used in such officer’s or agent’s official duties.

(c) Any licensed dealer may sell or otherwise transfer a firearm except those which are unregisterable under § 7-2502.02, to any person or organization possessing a registration certificate for such firearm; provided, that if the Chief denies a registration certificate, he shall so advise the licensee who shall thereupon: (1) withhold delivery until such time as a registration certificate is issued, or, at the option of the purchaser; (2) declare the contract null and void, in which case consideration paid to the licensee shall be returned to the purchaser; provided further, that this subsection shall not apply to persons covered by subsection (b) of this section.

(d) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (e) of this section, no licensed dealer shall sell or otherwise transfer ammunition unless:

(1) The sale or transfer is made in person; and

(2) The purchaser exhibits, at the time of sale or other transfer, a valid registration certificate, or in the case of a nonresident, proof that the weapon is lawfully possessed in the jurisdiction where such person resides;

(3) The ammunition to be sold or transferred is of the same caliber or gauge as the firearm described in the registration certificate, or other proof in the case of nonresident; and

(4) The purchaser signs a receipt for the ammunition which (in addition to the other records required under this unit) shall be maintained by the licensed dealer for a period of 1 year from the date of sale.

(e) Any licensed dealer may sell ammunition to any person holding an ammunition collector’s certificate on September 24, 1976; provided, that the collector’s certificate shall be exhibited to the licensed dealer whenever the collector purchases ammunition for his collection; provided further, that the collector shall sign a receipt for the ammunition, which shall be treated in the same manner as that required under paragraph (4) of subsection (d) of this section.
    By the way, when it come to sales over the net, see the "face to face" in that code?

FYI, Bass pro/cabelas in Va or Md, even if you show the a DC drivers license and are not a VA or Md resident, does not need to see your DC gun registration card. They do not need to pay attention to DC laws. But you need your registration card to drive over the line into DC with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom