• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    Last year I began felling uneasy transitioning between the climbing sticks and the stand and decided it was time to make sure I wouldn't fall. I bought some good quality climbing rope and secured it to the tree so I am connected from the the time I leave the ground to the time I return to it. I know they sell prepackaged ascending kits but I have 9 different stands and I was not ready to drop $1000 on them.

gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    Around noon today my fiancé’s father fell 15ft from a tree stand today, believe he was either either climbing up or down when it happened.

He just went into surgery few minutes ago to try and save the limb, lower leg and knee is badly injured. Also has a cracked L3 and concerned going into surgery, because he ate prior to the fall

Wish him a full and speedy recovery.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    good up date so the concern of losing a limb is behind him i hope ?

I just got home and the latest update is, he’s going in for a MRI tonight as it stands surgery remains scheduled for Wednesday.
    I believe the injury to his leg/knee are no longer in danger of amputation but I don’t want to get ahead of myself all my info is 2nd hand and I am certainly no doctor.
    I just recall the scenario to my best friends father that it seemed like an eternity before he was in the clear after multiple surgeries, complications/infections.

Shame in just over a week we have to head up there in preparation for his youngest daughters wedding the weekend after next.
    Obviously he will not be walking down the aisle but more importantly he’s alive and doing well and that’s all that matters.

Thank you to everyone for the prayers!

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    I just got home and the latest update is, he’s going in for a MRI tonight as it stands surgery remains scheduled for Wednesday.
    I believe the injury to his leg/knee are no longer in danger of amputation but I don’t want to get ahead of myself all my info is 2nd hand and I am certainly no doctor.
    I just recall the scenario to my best friends father that it seemed like an eternity before he was in the clear after multiple surgeries, complications/infections.

Shame in just over a week we have to head up there in preparation for his youngest daughters wedding the weekend after next.
    Obviously he will not be walking down the aisle but more importantly he’s alive and doing well and that’s all that matters.

Thank you to everyone for the prayers!

:thumbsup: never under estimate a strong man and he sounds like a fighter good luck

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Last year I began felling uneasy transitioning between the climbing sticks and the stand and decided it was time to make sure I wouldn't fall. I bought some good quality climbing rope and secured it to the tree so I am connected from the the time I leave the ground to the time I return to it. I know they sell prepackaged ascending kits but I have 9 different stands and I was not ready to drop $1000 on them.

What did you buy, Static rope, Double braid? I am ready to do the same thing. We have 20' ladders and my buddy wants to buy extra ladders and extend the ladders with an extra two sections. Basically sitting at 22' - 24' instead of 16'. Its really got me demanding to have lifelines when its done.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    What did you buy, Static rope, Double braid? I am ready to do the same thing. We have 20' ladders and my buddy wants to buy extra ladders and extend the ladders with an extra two sections. Basically sitting at 22' - 24' instead of 16'. Its really got me demanding to have lifelines when its done.

If your extending the reach of your ladder stands, make sure you install an additional horizontal brace on a section above the one that normally is installed in the original configuration; so you maintain rigidity of the complete ladder.

I use a CDS system so I can actually get back down; instead of just hanging in my harness with no way to get down, in the event I sustain an accident with my ladder stand and/or climber.

Old video but this is how it works:

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I remember one of the guys at the sportsman's club, was bow hunting, and his treestand 'gave way' and fell.

Thinking quickly, he put his arms around the oak tree, but slid down the tree.

His sweatshirt pulled up, and the tree bark tore him up.

He showed me the wound.
    He raised his shirt up, and his whole stomach/chest looked like raw hamburger.

He was VERY lucky.

BE CAREFUL, guys!

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I have been on the fence about this for a long time and this thread pushed me off the fence. So I went to R & W rope on line and order 1 × Sterling HTP Static First Quality Shorts 1/2 in. that come in 90 - 99' length but varying colors for $61.75 and then 20' × Sterling 6mm Accessory Cord in black for the prusik knots for $8 and with shipping standard it was $77.70 and I can make three.

Some of the safety lines sold are rated at 300# and I assume those are Polypropylene Rope and I would not trust my life to one of those. The static rope is MBS rated at 9K pound and the accessory at 2k pounds. Not sure how that relates to hanging or shock weight, but I feel safer just reading the higher limits.

Will, all new sections of ladder (4') have a horizontal tree brace and strap. I just trust their straps but as extras.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Reading this make me want to upgrade my tree stands to this:

Attachments

• cherry picker.jpg
      cherry picker.jpg
      5.2 KB · Views: 219

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I have been on the fence about this for a long time and this thread pushed me off the fence. So I went to R & W rope on line and order 1 × Sterling HTP Static First Quality Shorts 1/2 in. that come in 90 - 99' length but varying colors for $61.75 and then 20' × Sterling 6mm Accessory Cord in black for the prusik knots for $8 and with shipping standard it was $77.70 and I can make three.

Some of the safety lines sold are rated at 300# and I assume those are Polypropylene Rope and I would not trust my life to one of those. The static rope is MBS rated at 9K pound and the accessory at 2k pounds. Not sure how that relates to hanging or shock weight, but I feel safer just reading the higher limits.

Will, all new sections of ladder (4') have a horizontal tree brace and strap. I just trust their straps but as extras.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009

Do you have a link on how you are making/using this set up?

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Do you have a link on how you are making/using this set up?

I bought this rope for the prusic knot and 5' should make one. I bought this rope for the static line. Now I might end up with a color and not black, but the deer get used to a colored rope in no time. My buddy made fun of me becuase I bought the $2 almost rope that looks pink for a gear haul line, but the deer never notice it.

I got the 90 - 99' for the second one and can make three with that. If you worry about color you can pick the color on this link for $1.09 a foot.

I read the working loads on the HSS and other commercial safety ropes for tree stands and ratings of 300# sounds like Polypropylene rope. I will not trust my life to a Polypropylene rope as I have seen them fail after two to three years and won;'t even buy them for anything any more.

This video shows how to make the prusik knot and use the line.

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013

Static rope does not have the give if a fall were to occur. I bought "dynamic" rope which will absorb some of the shock from a fall. I was able to find some off color rope on sale from an online retailer. I bought 300 meters of 1/2" dynamic which was coated for UV and moisture resistant, and the rope for the pursic knot for i think $180

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Dynamic rope is made for climbers when they fall, say 20' to 30' before the rope engages. My harness has a bungee in the tether, as most construction harnesses do. You can buy dynamic rope, but you don't need it. You'll never fall more than 3' while wearing a hunting harness.

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    Dynamic rope is made for climbers when they fall, say 20' to 30' before the rope engages. My harness has a bungee in the tether, as most construction harnesses do. You can buy dynamic rope, but you don't need it. You'll never fall more than 3' while wearing a hunting harness.

This is true but I'm getting old and don't bounce like I use to.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I made three cutting the rope in thirds, it takes 15” of static line to make a loop. I will cinch around the tree and put it above my tree strap. Then tie to the bottom of the tree or ladder. Will try this week and figure it out as I go.

You need to use medical tape or similar on the rope both static line and accessory rope before cutting it the outside with fray, bad!! Then melt it. The accessory rope melts with a lighter but the static needed a propane torch

Attachments

• 2E175CBD-B922-45D5-84E5-840599C3573D.jpg
      2E175CBD-B922-45D5-84E5-840599C3573D.jpg
      97.5 KB · Views: 116
    • 389DC112-0B78-4BAC-85C7-8D66A56D4EB6.jpg
      389DC112-0B78-4BAC-85C7-8D66A56D4EB6.jpg
      130.9 KB · Views: 112

Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    Be sure to purchase a high quality harness. The single waist band style isn't good enough as a fall can lead to strangulation if its not properly tightened. Happened to my dads cousin when I was very young. be safe

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I use the Seat of the Pants harness. It has a built in shock cord on the tether.

I detailed all I did out on my blog if anyone wants to copy this. It works extremely easy and I wish I would have done this long ago. It just feels so much safer.

safety-rope_10-large1.jpg

That ugly Bastage needs a shave.
    safety-rope_11-large1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom