• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That’s very cool! I need to get my cameras back up. I just haven’t had time and don’t normally have them out this early. Guess I will have to start!

I went out last Saturday to replace batteries and forgot to bring a new card with me! The card that was in there was full. Left over from turkey season. Probably 1600 pics of squirrels on the lick. I felt pretty stupid to say the least.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I went out last Saturday to replace batteries and forgot to bring a new card with me! The card that was in there was full. Left over from turkey season. Probably 1600 pics of squirrels on the lick. I felt pretty stupid to say the least.

They sell card readers which work with cell phones. I check my pics on the phone in the field, then delete or save them.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    They sell card readers which work with cell phones. I check my pics on the phone in the field, then delete or save them.
    I've been tempted, but I like to keep a running inventory from year to year on my computer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

melikou1

Aug 31, 2017
    The 'Dena, MD

Wouldn't it be nice if they made a trail cam that only picked up movement of bodies over a certain size? 14 Billion pictures of squirrels gets annoying, unless you get to see one where the fox is about to grab one.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Wouldn't it be nice if they made a trail cam that only picked up movement of bodies over a certain size? 14 Billion pictures of squirrels gets annoying, unless you get to see one where the fox is about to grab one.

Yes. That tech is readily available now, but just hasn't made it to trail cams yet. I get a lot of pictures of black birds and moving tree limbs.

I bet there is some simple software out there that can scan all images and eliminate duplicates.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    They have it and its really damn expensive!! We sell FLIR cameras for work and I have done jobs for the Military. Camera can identify deer vs man in infrared with software algorithms

Smaller camera - at up to 3/4 mile $65k sell price
    Medium camera - 3/4 to 1 1 /2 miles $140k sell price

Normally ends in can they use the cheaper camera. I have to explain when the alarm goes off all the time for deer the MP's aren't going to respond when an man climbs the fence!!

Its available and really expensive. What is cool is companys are making a lot of apps now. We load an app on a thermal camera and pair it with a PTZ camera and the PTZ will follow moving targets and record just them automatically. The thermal tell the PTZ if another object should be viewed also instead of just focusing on the previous one only. Lots of cool stuff, but its going to be a long while before its in a $99 camera for deer.

RetiredArmyGuy

Jan 16, 2018
    Pasadena, MD

I was walking through the area I hunt about a month ago looking for antlers and noticed I had missed a camera completely. I haven’t looked at the card yet but I am sure it contains squirrels and raccoons with the occasional unwanted human. I should have noticed I was missing a camera so talk about feeling stupid!

RetiredArmyGuy

Jan 16, 2018
    Pasadena, MD
    I've been tempted, but I like to keep a running inventory from year to year on my computer.

I use the card reader which puts them on my phone then use google photos (you can do it with apple) which transfers to my computer as I keep keep an inventory as well.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I use the card reader which puts them on my phone then use google photos (you can do it with apple) which transfers to my computer as I keep keep an inventory as well.
    Hmmm. One more thing I gotta learn! I all this new shit would stop! Lol

RetiredArmyGuy

Jan 16, 2018
    Pasadena, MD
    Hmmm. One more thing I gotta learn! I all this new shit would stop! Lol

My daughter had to show me how to do it, lol! It’s actually not hard. If you have an android or and IPhone you can download the google photos app and have the app back your photos up to a gmail account. I have it set so it only backs up when I am on WiFi. Then when I get home I sign into my gmail account and pull the photos over to my hard drive and sort them. You can also do this with iPhone photos as well.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Co-worker showed me a video he took late last week of four bucks in our field at the shop. Two were play sparring and the other two watching intently. This was at 11:30am.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I came across a fresh scrape Monday afternoon on one of the trails, first one this season, I haven't seen any trees rubbed nearby.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I saw 10-15 does get chased across River Road near Tobytown yesterday at about 4pm. I didn't see the buck(s) but I'm sure he/they weren't far behind.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Anyone seeing any chasing? I had some scrub bucks on camera bumping antlers, but I've only been out twice, and haven't seen any rut activity.

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    On Fri 10-19 i saw 2 small bucks play sparing in a field. On Frii 10-26 my dad shot a large 6 pt whose neck was all swollen but he was with a small dinky 4 pt. I think it's getting ready to start, but hasn't went full swing yet. I've been hunting a field with 7-11 does most sits but no bucks, hope that changes soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom