• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Today, I received my notice that my request for a hearing with the HPRB was received on March 29th and that an appointment for a hearing would be forthcoming. I already have a wear and carry permit with the typical "while doing business..." restriction. I'm appealing to have the restriction removed.

I got the permit because I'm a firearms instructor with an active business and I regularly travel with several firearms and ammo to training sites. The basis for my appeal is that I have taught several hundred students (approaching 1,000) who know several things about me:

1) I have a sizeable firearms collection
    2) I teach the vast majority of my classes in one location
    3) The dates of my classes are advertised

As evidence, I'm going to bring a one foot high stack of signed class rosters. My rationale is that a lot of people know how to find me and follow me home, where I have a large cache of handguns, rifles, and ammunition, putting me and the public at great risk. If they are relatively intelligent, they will try to rob me at some time other than when I am carrying.

If you've recently and successfully gotten your restrictions removed, I'd appreciate any tips you followed.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Let me add, attending one or two (or several!) hearings in person can be extremely educational. Next one coming up 15 May, 100 Community Place, Crownsville at 6 PM.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Just let the HPRB know that Snow is done and Scheer isn't here.
    Hell er, yea, you want an unrestricted Permit...

But really..... Don't spend a lot of time selling the Board. You have a good case. Just make the case and let them sort it out.
    Sometimes too much talk goes the wrong direction.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County

But really..... Don't spend a lot of time selling the Board. You have a good case. Just make the case and let them sort it out.

Agreed. My whole approach to getting W&C is to be honest, brief, and straightforward. That got me my permit. I've gotten some other great counsel from members via PM. I plan to follow it.

scobra

Nov 17, 2014
    last night 5-15-18

Guys in attendance last night,
    Sorry I couldn't remember my screen name when you asked me.:sad20:
    Good news though, my restrictions were lifted thanks to efforts by Joe Tychostup, my attorney working with Brit Stoeffer.
    I thought the process was very fair and professional.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Guys in attendance last night,
    Sorry I couldn't remember my screen name when you asked me...

As I said, sorry for being a little sheepish about outing myself being on MDS. Some of the people in the room last evening were NOT there to stand WITH those battling Maryland's oppressive permit scheme.

ETA... and you might want to head over to the Introduction thread...if you haven't done so...

To the OP... it would serve you and anyone else wanting a modification of their permit well to listen to the May 15 meeting when markgrutz posts it up in the HPRB thread... and not just because you get to hear my angelic voice. :innocent0...:D

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Let me add, attending one or two (or several!) hearings in person can be extremely educational. Next one coming up 15 May, 100 Community Place, Crownsville at 6 PM.

I'll second that. You'll see firsthand how the Board operates, and the pathetic clown show put on by the MSP LD. Forewarned is forearmed.

True. I've watched several applicants talk themselves out of their desired outcome. Make your points politely and professionally and pipe down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom